EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster on your site. I'm retired - turn 70 this year - and I tinker around the house a lot. Bought a crew cab pickup less than 2 years ago and hate it - yeah it will haul plenty of stuff but it's so long I'm not comfortable driving it. I've always been an SUV driver and I'm looking for an Enclave to replace the truck. Must have a trailer hitch for occasional use. I've been looking at a 2009 CXL owned by an individual here in northwest Florida. It's clean and has been well maintained but it has 95,000 miles on it. The price is right but the mileage makes me worry about costly repairs. Am I over-reacting? Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
No you are not over-reacting. I have a 2009 Enclave and it has had a lot of repairs, most under warranty. I'm at 76K miles. Two issues with these vehicles that can be very expensive are the faulty wave plates in the transmission, and the timing chains on the engine. Both will be expensive to fix, so I'd ask the owner if these have been changed. Also, the air conditioning evaporators go out too, and that's expensive to fix. The issue with this was when the blower motors were new, during break in they would shed copper particles that got on the evaporator, and the corrosion with the aluminum evaporator caused leaks. Both of mine had to be replaced, luckily under warranty.

With that being said, these vehicles are awesome when they are working, but GM did use many cheap parts insuring repairs down the road.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Lots of threads on here like this one that should make you think twice about this decision.

https://www.enclaveforum.net/8-buick-enclave/22125-get-out-while-you-can.html

If you want to stick to a budget that can get you into a 2009 with almost 100k you're better off buying less vehicle and getting something newer with less miles. Or increase your budget enough to get you into at least a 2011 with under 50k.

·
Registered
140 Posts
First time poster on your site. I'm retired - turn 70 this year - and I tinker around the house a lot. Bought a crew cab pickup less than 2 years ago and hate it - yeah it will haul plenty of stuff but it's so long I'm not comfortable driving it. I've always been an SUV driver and I'm looking for an Enclave to replace the truck. Must have a trailer hitch for occasional use. I've been looking at a 2009 CXL owned by an individual here in northwest Florida. It's clean and has been well maintained but it has 95,000 miles on it. The price is right but the mileage makes me worry about costly repairs. Am I over-reacting? Thanks.
You got a lot of good advice so far. I would not buy that 09 with that many miles. Buy the newest, lowest milage E you could afford. At least an 11 or newer. Buying that year with that miles will cost you more in repairs than buying a newer model will cost at right. Of course buying a used car is a roll of the dice, you never know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear @3725Tiger Follow the advice of the others who have posted above. You are NOT overreacting. Based on our recent experience at 91,000 miles, I could not in good conscience recommend the purchase. Between what we are experiencing with having to replace our entire Head for $4,000 and the numerous posts on the timing chains, you would be well advised to look elsewhere. That said, the first 7 years of ownership with the Buick were really great. We loved the vehicle. More on our issue here: https://www.enclaveforum.net/20-engine-drivetrain/22187-another-gm-victim-porosity.html

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just sold my 2008 outlook with 211,000 miles on her. I did have to replace the 3-5-r waveplate, power steering pump, steering rack, 3 batteries,spark plugs, a wheel bearing and the drive shaft over the 10 years. All the major repairs came in between 125,000 and 150,000 miles which was also after the special extended warranty which GM gave us, the drive shaft was around 200,000. I just wasn't comfortable driving it on long trips anymore so I bought a 2015 Enclave with 40,000 miles. The outlook still runs great and the new owner, a co-worker is happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
electbc
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing