EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are looking to upgrade from a pop-up to a travel trailer. Our current TV is a 2008 Buick Enclave w/ tow package (tow capacity of 4500#). We are looking at two TTs, both with a GVWR of 3500#. Myself, wife and two small children weight under 400# total. What are thoughts, opinions, experiences on towing a trailer like this with the Enclave? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Purchased a Coachman Clipper 17BH and took it on its maiden voyage this last weekend. Then Enclave did a pretty good job towing it. Loaded trailer weight was ~3300/3400 lbs with an additional 400 lbs of people and cargo in the vehicle. Used a WD/Anti-Sway hitch and tow/haul mode. Was just over a 2 hour drive to our destination running with recirculate (not A/C) the entire time with outside temp of ~85 degrees. Did see some slight temp increase on the gauge. Not ever above 225 (normally runs right at 210) and always came back down after cresting hills, etc. Bounced between 2300 and 3200 RPMs (spent more time at 3200). Has anyone had similar experience with the increased temp? Is that something I should be concerned about? Planning an 8 hour trip in about a month and now wondering if the Enclave can handle it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you check your mileage? I have a similar plan but want to build a more aerodynamic travel trailer then the ones available. Also how fast did you drive? Backing off to 55-60mph will make it much easier on everything. Once you get the weight moving on a level surface it wouldn't matter if you were towing 10,000 pounds, it's all about frontal area and drag at that point and it's exponential to speed. The Enclave is pretty aerodynamic so it doesn't punch as big a hole as say a full size pickup does so the trailer ends up being an even bigger drag. I'm hoping a trailer designed to work with the Enclave's shape will give no more then a 5 mpg penality on the highway at 60mph. Glad to hear it adequately moved a good sized for you, this is the reason we traded in our minivan which was only rated for 3500# and had 245 HP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was keeping the E at about 60 mph, would drop do 55ish on hills, etc. I completely agree with your statement about the drag from the trailer being a huge factor behind the E. Power, braking, stability, etc were all great. If not for the slight rise in engine temp I would declare my maiden voyage with the combo a great success. Heading out again to same area (2 - 2.5 hour drive) again in two weeks. By then I will have switched to Full Synthetic oil and have done a coolant flush/fill. I'll post results after that trip.

·
Registered
159 Posts
jbot said:
I was keeping the E at about 60 mph, would drop do 55ish on hills, etc. I completely agree with your statement about the drag from the trailer being a huge factor behind the E. Power, braking, stability, etc were all great. If not for the slight rise in engine temp I would declare my maiden voyage with the combo a great success. Heading out again to same area (2 - 2.5 hour drive) again in two weeks. By then I will have switched to Full Synthetic oil and have done a coolant flush/fill. I'll post results after that trip.
The slight rise in temp of the guage is normal. I have seen it several times, both in towing and even in hot weather mountain driving without towing. There seems to be a scond equilibrium point somewhat above the normal mid point where the temp guage levels out in light load driving. I think the fans don't go into their highest speed until the guage gets up to that point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder if it is possible the gauge is programmed to read a flat level even if the temp is varying slightly. I have the torque app and a Bluetooth obd2 dongle that can real-time monitor most sensors like coolant temp and intake air temp. I'll have to try it on the E. They are pretty inexpensive, the app is $5 for any android device and the Bluetooth sender was less then $15. Pretty powerful, 6 years ago a setup this capable would have cost thousands!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts