EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're purchasing a 2012 Enclave with 80,000 miles & 1 owner. We have a few days before we pick it up & We're thinking of buying a warranty. Does everyone recommend this or not? I keep reading about transmission and engine problems.

·
Super Moderator
660 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go near a 9 year old vehicle with 80k, especially from the US big 3, unless I was paying cash and planned to do most of the repairs myself. If you're financing I hope it's a 3 year or less term or you're setting yourself up to be in a situation far too common on this board... Facing a large repair with a loan debt that far outweighs the value of the car. If you're looking at a warranty on a 9 year old car with 80k it's not going to be through a manufacturer which means wading into the murky waters of 3rd party warranty companies which are notorious for being shady. Go over the fine print very carefully.

I'm a big fan of buying used and letting someone else take that new to used depreciation hit, but I stick with 2-3 year old vehicles with under 30k, preferably CPO so I drive off the lot with a substantial warranty on the major components.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go near a 9 year old vehicle with 80k, especially from the US big 3, unless I was paying cash and planned to do most of the repairs myself. If you're financing I hope it's a 3 year or less term or you're setting yourself up to be in a situation far too common on this board... Facing a large repair with a loan debt that far outweighs the value of the car. If you're looking at a warranty on a 9 year old car with 80k it's not going to be through a manufacturer which means wading into the murky waters of 3rd party warranty companies which are notorious for being shady. Go over the fine print very carefully.

I'm a big fan of buying used and letting someone else take that new to used depreciation hit, but I stick with 2-3 year old vehicles with under 30k, preferably CPO so I drive off the lot with a substantial warranty on the major components.
All sound advice. I traded my 09 Travers LTZ at 77000 miles and knew it was going to start nickel and dime me. I won't work on it. Bought the Traverse as a demo. Traded it for a 15 Enclave Premium that was 18 months old and had 5000 miles. Great Great car

Reactions: Sonia

·
Registered
129 Posts
I sold our 2011 AWD with only 44k miles 2.5 years ago because even though the mileage was low, it was having many problems. We bought it used in in 2015 with 22k miles and purchased a GM warranty. It had $5k in repairs during our short ownership and although the repairs were "paid for" (less the price of the warranty of $2300) I decided to sell due to inconvenience and disappointment with GM products. When I sold the Enclave I received a refund of $1300 for the unused portion of the warranty so that helped.

I used to be a "GM Guy" but not so sure now. I had a Cadillac CTS as a loaner during one of the repairs - what a joke of a car. I concur with the earlier advice to not buy an older car with miles but would not limit it to the Big 3 U.S brands. Add European brands to the list too with VW, Audi and BMW as the worst when they get some age and miles. I'm a Master Tech and see the problems German cars have. Nice cars... when they're new.

So.., what replaced the Enclave? Not knowing what we wanted, I got a new 2018 Ford Explorer. Actually, I leased it so we could have an "out" and the payment was low. A very well equipped XLT with 2 tiers bumped on the mileage allowed was $0 down and $399 mo. Good credit and 8k off the sticker price got this deal but I earned it having to play the "game" at the dealer. The lease is up in 4 months and not sure what we'll get. Going to buy this time 2 or 3 years old or buy new if I can get a big discount off the sticker to absorb some of the initial depreciation.

All said, a lease is rental but for me, a "no-brainer" $399 mo. payment suits what we wanted when we got it. I would rather work on one of my 4 classic cars in my free time than fix the family SUV.

But, the Enclaves are special. I really miss ours on a weekly basis as it was a few notches above the Explorer in luxury. I just wish they were a bit better in the quality department.

Last word is the Enclave forum is great too with great people. I enjoy visiting to see what the "Old Crowd" is doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, so I’ll be a contrarian. I have a 2014 Enclave with 86,000 on it. No big problems thus far. In 8 months, I’ve spent less than $400 on it. I do agree that you shouldn’t take out a big loan on such an old car, but I see people put big miles on Enclaves. I think you’ll be okay without a warranty, just set aside money every month to cover repairs. I’ve been spending an average of $1,000 a year over the past three years, but my car is newer and had fewer miles. I’d try to put away $150 a month for repairs ($1800 a year).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Honestly, our 2008 with about 175,000 miles has been absolutely reliable. Much more than any "non Big-3" car my wife used to own. There are some issues, but once you figure them out, it's easy.

·
Registered
2011 enclave
6 Posts
Honestly, our 2008 with about 175,000 miles has been absolutely reliable. Much more than any "non Big-3" car my wife used to own. There are some issues, but once you figure them out, it's easy.
We have a 2011, gets a bit of shudder around 45mph but adapted to that. Had misfire codes and replaced plugs and coils, PVC valve, MAF sensor and crankcase vent valve. Other problem is clock spring needs replacing, getting that done next week. Not overly good on fuel economy, my ram truck is better than it. This one has 158000 miles up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have about 86,000 miles on my 09 Enclave, but it cost me over $8,000 in repairs outside of warranty - the three biggest issues out of warranty being the transmission (had to be rebuilt), engine control computer (Enclave died on me while drive with my wife and 3 year old son), and coils/plugs. The factory warranty and extended warranty were used extensively to replace many AC parts, four steering racks, brake booster, 2 engine mounts, etc. - parts that failed because GM likes to use the cheapest stuff available.

Bottom line - don't buy one of these used if you value your money. If they previous owner didn't take care of it you're screwed. If you have to buy one, I'd try and get a cheap new one because at least you'll know the history.

If you want to buy used, go look at a Toyota Highlander. They seem to have far less issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts