EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall (did a search) if anyone else has done this, but I had to. The 2 front console cup holders were getting sticky/*****! Can't remove them, normally, so................I took my pocket knife and carefully pryed the top of the rubber holders lip out from under the chrome trim ring. It was almost easy! They then lay right back in the hole (now on top of chrome lip by a hundreth of an inch, still supported by plastic bottom of the round cut-outs base!) Chrome still shines out and they now pull out by hand,for washing ;D

One caveat: If you put a larger size cup in, the rubber holder comes up with it, when you lift it out to drink. No big deal to hold the bottle/cup by the rubber sleeve. (even better for HOT beverages!) And it pulls right off when done! also haven't tried to reverse this procedure, but a drop of glue on the bottom of cupholders round cut-out base would re-hold it, if you really hate the final results! Looks exactly same as new:thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ashamed to say I still have the rubber liner from when I did a test drive... didn't notice my drink had pulled the liner with it until long after ;) Must return it.

But you're right, great for keeping clean, aren't they? Only wish the kids ones were too!

·
Registered
249 Posts
According to the thick manual, page 2-55, the two cupholders located in the front of the center console are removable. I tried and tried but they are stuck in there. Without prying or cutting, does anyone know how to take the rubber liner off?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the Enclave literature/documents that the front cupholders were removable... maybe that's where? I think it may show up somewhere else... my miraculous memory is saying to me "it was something about how many total cupholders there were, with mention that the front liners were removable..."

Probably a car manual from fifteen years ago... ha! Anyway, I do think Buick claimed they were removable. Now, did they change their minds, or does it take a welding torch to get the liner out?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
So how many cupholders, total, does the Enclave have? Each of the front doors have one right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
So how many cupholders, total, does the Enclave have? Each of the front doors have one right?
2 in front console
2 in 2nd row doors
2 at back of front console (for 2nd row passengers)
2 in side for 3rd passengers

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
plus 1 molded into the storage panel of each door.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
osli said:
I thought I remembered reading somewhere in the Enclave literature/documents that the front cupholders were removable... maybe that's where? I think it may show up somewhere else... my miraculous memory is saying to me "it was something about how many total cupholders there were, with mention that the front liners were removable..."

Probably a car manual from fifteen years ago... ha! Anyway, I do think Buick claimed they were removable. Now, did they change their minds, or does it take a welding torch to get the liner out?
See my above, first post. Comes out fairly easy, with a little prying. After that first time...removeable by hand easily. :thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
See my above, first post. Comes out fairly easy, with a little prying. After that first time...removeable by hand easily. :thumb:
Having the liner stuck to my drink every time I pull it out simply isn't an option.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
osli said:
Having the liner stuck to my drink every time I pull it out simply isn't an option.
What can I tell ya? Glue it down and don't wash it out too easily?
I doubt velcro on bottom of liner would hold it down securely enough to retain a snug, large cup either. And BTW, it only pops out with a tight fitting larger size cup.
Sorry :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, I think this may be another of those marketing claims that were "intended" but never made it to the production version. Like the blue lighting and matched wood in the interior. Or the seat slide covers. Or the second pockets on the back of the front seats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't forget too, that there are two more when you have the bench seat in the second row. They are located in the arm rest. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I decided to give the clave a good interior cleaning last week and the cup holders were in need of a cleaning. After reading the above posts, I was determined to get the pockets out to give them a good wash. I have a procedure that takes about 10 seconds to do and IMHO is a great way to clean them. I hope this helps anyone, especially being an old thread. Check out my gallery for pics and instructions.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
That is a very clever approach to cleaning the center console cup-holders. My only concern would be regarding the integrity of the refastened faux wood console cover. I am always weary of disassembling and reassembling any dash and console components due to the possibility of inducing squeaks and rattles afterwards. :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the faux wood trim piece off several times and it is just as tight as the first time it came off. Take caution tho, the chrome trim is hot glued on the underneath and the glue can detach if the trim is flexed too much.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Does the cover come off easily, or does it require a forceful tug to remove? Also, does it require significant force to snap it back into position? I just want to have a better feel for what to expect before performing that maneuver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the cover come off easily
I think so. It only takes secs to do.
does it require a forceful tug to remove?
I would compare it to a little more force needed to shift the gear selector ,with 2 fingers, from park to drive. In step 5 of my gallery you can see where the 5 clips snap into the center console. Two clips in the corners near the storage bin, one clip between the cup holders and gear shifter, and the last two, one in front of gear shifter and the other around 1 o'clock of the cup holder near the 12 v receptacle. Knowing the position of the clips, you can focus your ease of force on the appropriate points, starting at storage bin end, working your way forward.
does it require significant force to snap it back into position?
No. Once you have the trim in position, that being the clips sitting on their appropriate holes, one finger is all that is needed to push back into position.
I hope I answered your questions clearly enough to assure you that its as easy as it looks. Good luck :thumb:

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Thanks for your response. It seems like an easy maneuver after all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts