EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I like others, had my wave plate crumble and cause complete failure of the transmission on my 2009 Enclave with P0700 fail code. I contacted Buick Customer Care and they have assisted since my build date was 9/08 and thus, the warranty has expired. However, when I spoke with the dealer, they indicated that the new transmission was the same design as the one being replaced. The new transmission only has a warranty of 3 years.

My concern is that the wave plate is just going to fail again, beyond the warranty coverage date again. This is a very expensive part to replace and I do not want to have to pay this sum of money again 4 years from now. Did Buick change the design of the waveplate so that it will no longer break a part and render the transmission dysfunctional? If not, then why in the world would I not be able to get a a longer warranty, even if I have to pay extra? Has anyone every taken this issue up with GM directly?

Given the number of internet forums I have viewed, including this one, that have detailed this particular cause of transmission failure, I would think a true resolution would occur.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes, they have redesigned the wave plate. The problem of them breaking was pretty much taken care of by the late 2009 or early 2010 models.
The original problem was the wave plate was not properly heat treated, hence the greater risk of it breaking.

It is my understanding that the replacement wave plates are heat treated correctly, and if I recall, someone mentioned that they are actually a little thicker also. There have been reports of owners who had the transmission rebuilt or replaced before the new wave plates were released. Some of those owners suffered the failure a second time because the defective wave plate was still being installed.

Now about the only complaint after the transmission rebuild is if the system had not been flushed properly according to the rebuild instructions. This has resulted in some internal parts being contaminated or plugged with pieces still in the system from the failure. This problem has been seen by some owners a year or more after the repair of the transmission. It usually results in a Transmission Control Module (TCM) or solenoid failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I like others, had my wave plate crumble and cause complete failure of the transmission on my 2009 Enclave with P0700 fail code. I contacted Buick Customer Care and they have assisted since my build date was 9/08 and thus, the warranty has expired. However, when I spoke with the dealer, they indicated that the new transmission was the same design as the one being replaced. The new transmission only has a warranty of 3 years.

My concern is that the wave plate is just going to fail again, beyond the warranty coverage date again. This is a very expensive part to replace and I do not want to have to pay this sum of money again 4 years from now. Did Buick change the design of the waveplate so that it will no longer break a part and render the transmission dysfunctional? If not, then why in the world would I not be able to get a a longer warranty, even if I have to pay extra? Has anyone every taken this issue up with GM directly?

Given the number of internet forums I have viewed, including this one, that have detailed this particular cause of transmission failure, I would think a true resolution would occur.
I have a 2015 Buck Enclaves with the same problem. I now hate this car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts