EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

If the powertrain warranty has already expired, has your lambda's wave plate failed yet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
senkler said:
2008 Enclave, 107k miles and the wave plate failed today. In the two years I have owned the car it has been in for shift solenoid, transmission solenoid, water pump and now the wave plate. I am deeply regretting ever buying this vehicle. The luxurious interior and smooth ride do not make up for constant issues on a well maintained vehicle.

senkler,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Enclave. I understand your concerns as well as frustrations with this. I would be happy to assist you in any way that I can with this. If you would like me to please send me a PM further information. Either way, please keep me posted on this.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I am sorry about your car's wave plate and transmission problems. Being a first model year vehicle, the 2008 Enclave certainly has its share of issues. :sosad:
Firstime Buick owner - let alone the Enlcave part. BUT, 2008 CXL AWD 68k mi. I think it is still on its' original wave plate. I am the second owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just joined this forum, and got a splash of cold water on my face seeing all this trouble with the transmission. I have an '08 with 37K miles, that I've owned for 3.5 years. I have until July of this year left on the PT warranty. I'd better start driving it more between now and then. I feel like I'm driving a rolling time bomb.

GM ought to fess up and either extend the PT warranty to 5 years, or provide a free wave plate replacement. Heck, we bailed them out of near-bankruptcy 4 years ago. :-\

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
7t9shark, these are my sentiments, as well. I hope that I won't suffer a catastrophic breakdown due to premature wave plate failure not only because of the likely high cost or repairs and inconvenience, but also due to the possible danger of being stranded in a dangerous location. Additionally, though it is easy to criticize those who've posted on the forum that they will not purchase another GM product due to frustrations with their Enclaves, I could easily see myself feeling that very same way after a defective wave plate failure, especially if the repair cost falls in my lap with under 100,000 miles on the car's odometer due to the expired 5 year limit of the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. :eek:hno:

The bottom line is that I hope that nobody will suffer the wave plate failure. Too bad that I am just dreaming. :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

Another bottom line is that I hope that GM will stand up for its customers and accept their rightful blame for producing a defective product and cover the cost of repairs via a reasonable extended powertrian warranty. Too bad that I am just dreaming again. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my Enclave to the mix! 2008 CXL FWD with 91750 miles. I brought it to the dealer because I have been observing shifting flaws between 2nd and 3rd gears around 20 mph as well as putting it in reverse. The rest of the gears were shifting smooth. I thought it was still under powertrain warranty because of less than 100000, I wasn't sure of the purchase date because I am the second owner. The dealer came back with wave plate faulty and found codes P2724/0776 for PC soleniod stuck on/off...3/5/R and I was 3 months past warranty! :banghead:
They wanted $4000 for new transmission or $2800 for an overhaul that might fix the problem. I thought I could get a better deal somewhere else. When I pulled out of the lot, my car was stuck in 2nd gear. They obviously made the problem worse by doing whatever they did to it! :angryfire:
I have called GM customer service and they have submitted my concerns to a District Manager for further review. Wish me LUCK! :-\

Update: Gm offered a 10% discount on repair or $1000 off a new car purchase. I respectfully declined their offer and paid $3400 for a remanufactured one at a local Mom & Pop shop. I figured we gave GM enough money for the bailout and I decided to support my hometown shop!

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
talking2jets, I am sorry to hear that your Enclave has been added to the growing ranks of those with failed defective wave plates. More often than not, the wave plate and transmission fails catastrophically without any warning signs or symptoms, so I would not blame the dealer for the quickly worsening transmission dysfunction. What I would push for is for the dealer and GM to cover all or part of the repair cost, especially given the fact that your car is just slightly out of warranty. If GM won't budge, I would demand a GM certified rebuilt transaxle, which comes with a new 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty and a much lower cost (~ $2,000-$3,000 from a reputable source on this forum). Although your dealer has projected more risk with that approach, it is not more risky. Plus it cost you a lot less and affords you a longer warranty than only a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty if the dealer repairs you car's own unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes my 2008... at about 135000 miles and 14 hours from home. I had to have a Buick dealer drop in a GM-certified remanufactured transmission. Total cost: three days out of my life in an Alabama hotel and about $4000. in repairs plus a rental car.

I was going to buy a new Buick this spring-- but not so much now. The Alabama dealer said that GM would not do anything for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am sorry to read about your Enclave's out of warranty wave plate failure. The only consolation is that you got a fairly hefty 135,000 miles out of it prior to failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
HOIII: just curious if you changed the fluid at any point in those 135K miles?
Yes, at about 105,000. Just yesterday the stabilitrack/traction lights went on as well as the engine light. Plus, it seems to be slipping a bit... so to my dealer's this morning.

·
Registered
301 Posts
HOIII said:
Yes, at about 105,000. Just yesterday the stabilitrack/traction lights on as well as the engine light. Plus, it seems to be slipping a bit... so to my dealer's this morning.
About when it should have been done according to a routine maint schedule.

I guess one should ask when is a failure considered premature? Yes, this is a known bad part, but if somebody had a wave ate wear and break in a regular (non-problematic) tranny would we say premature then?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
HOIII said:
Yes, at about 105,000. Just yesterday the stabilitrack/traction lights went on as well as the engine light. Plus, it seems to be slipping a bit... so to my dealer's this morning.

HOIII,
I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Add one more to the list. 2008 Buick Enclave 2WD with 83K miles on it and 8 months out of warranty. Wife was heading home with the kids in the car on a 65mph road when it happenned. Luckily she was only 1-2 miles away. I did a quick test drive and only reverse, neutral and first would work. Got it back home and parked it in the garage. Had it towed to dealer today...thanks Onstar!

I actually had high hopes that my dealer knew what was going on when I spoke to him on the phone when he immediately offered up a free rental car to get me past this. BUT, when I showed he just stated that it was going to be later in the week before they even get to it because a lot of transmission work at the moment (doesn't that seem strange!!). I asked specifically about the "Wave Plate" which he quickly asked what is a wave plate?, that he has worked there for 20 years, 12 hours a day and has never heard of a wave plate. Then I ask about the TSB that specifically refers to the wave plate, and his response was a quick there are thousands of TSB's. He pretty much made it out like I was crazy. Didn't feel good about it at all.

I have always defended this car knowing that I was buying the first model year and even dealing with the steering column issues, faulty cam shaft sensor, leaking front cover that required pulling the engine to fix, etc. I bought the vehicle and have done all recommended service at this dealer. I certainly hope they can offer some assistance here.

I wish there was a way to look up how many of these have been repaired by this specific dealer in order to educate this service tech. I don't beleive for a second that this guy isn't aware of what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am sorry to read about your wave plate failure. Obviously, your dealer's response is in disgusted frustration of the annoyingly frequent wave plate failures that they've needed to repair. It is probably not something that they want to commit so much manpower to deal with from a logistical and fiscal standpoint, would be my guess. As I've asserted numerous times before, GM really needs to deal with this issue with a prophylactic wave plate replacement recall for effected VINs or to extend the warranty to something similar to the 10 year/120,000 mile timing chain extended coverage. If not, not only will GM lose many disgusted customers, but also many other potential future customers that the disgruntled customers will discourage. Studies over the years have showed that unhappy customers tend to tell far more people about their experiences than happy customers.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
jcamp116 said:
Add one more to the list. 2008 Buick Enclave 2WD with 83K miles on it and 8 months out of warranty. Wife was heading home with the kids in the car on a 65mph road when it happenned. Luckily she was only 1-2 miles away. I did a quick test drive and only reverse, neutral and first would work. Got it back home and parked it in the garage. Had it towed to dealer today...thanks Onstar!

I actually had high hopes that my dealer knew what was going on when I spoke to him on the phone when he immediately offered up a free rental car to get me past this. BUT, when I showed he just stated that it was going to be later in the week before they even get to it because a lot of transmission work at the moment (doesn't that seem strange!!). I asked specifically about the "Wave Plate" which he quickly asked what is a wave plate?, that he has worked there for 20 years, 12 hours a day and has never heard of a wave plate. Then I ask about the TSB that specifically refers to the wave plate, and his response was a quick there are thousands of TSB's. He pretty much made it out like I was crazy. Didn't feel good about it at all.

I have always defended this car knowing that I was buying the first model year and even dealing with the steering column issues, faulty cam shaft sensor, leaking front cover that required pulling the engine to fix, etc. I bought the vehicle and have done all recommended service at this dealer. I certainly hope they can offer some assistance here.

I wish there was a way to look up how many of these have been repaired by this specific dealer in order to educate this service tech. I don't beleive for a second that this guy isn't aware of what's going on.

jcamp116,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have had with your Enclave. I do understand your concerns with this. Has your dealer preformed the repairs on your Enclave? I would like you to keep me posted. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Please keep the votes coming. The more responses we have, the better data and conclusion can be drawn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined this forum after lurking for a while, just to weigh in on this and add my +1 to the wave plate failure (Twice). As an aside, the Enclave has had all of the other known issues, too. Water pump failure, steering issues, roof leak, electrical recalls performed, etc. This is just about the wave plate, though.

This is for a 2008 Enclave CXL currently having 86,500 miles.

On 4/12/12 at 74,308 miles, the transmission was replaced under the original powertrain warranty. It was within the 5 year/ 100k miles warranty period. Not great, but not a terrible run for a transmission, I suppose. The fact that it was replaced under the warranty made it mostly an inconvenience rather than a money issue. A known defect in the wave plate was detected and one would assume the replacement transmission would also not have the same defect. You all know what happens when you assume, right?

Anyway, here was the diagnosis on the invoice from 4/12/12:

74308 diag trans slipping, codes P2723, P0842, P0218, R&R and disassemblee found 456 clutch housing damaged, 5 wave plate broken, metal debris through out trans replaced trans with srta per pqc, flush code B940D16, fill with fluid and r/t

As of 3/29/13, the vehicle is sitting at the dealer after having the transmission failure again. The warning light to pull over and idle engine for the over heated transmission (or whatever it said) came on, as it did the last time. I'm currently waiting to hear back the diagnosis, but it's doing the same pre-catastrophic failure symptoms as it did the last time (rough shifts, noises, etc.)

Warning for you guys and gals who have had an engine/transmission, etc. replaced *under warranty* and think there is some sort of warranty on the replacement part - there isn't. GM foot the bill for the replacement transmission, so it doesn't fall under the 3 year/100k mile replacement warranty. I've read the fine print and there is an exclusion for parts that have been replaced under warranty. When the vehicle's 5 year/100k powertrain warranty expired, the coverage on that (now 11 month old with 12k miles on it) transmission went with it. If GM can't stand behind a transmission that it puts on a vehicle for even a year, regardless of who paid for the part, it tells me that they don't even have confidence in their transmissions.

I will update when I hear back from the dealer, but after reading this forum and seeing other people's stories, I felt that I should add my own, if anything to at least have a record to help make the case for extending the warranty so people aren't as concerned about the "ticking time bomb" transmissions that they are driving around using. Had the *original* transmission gone out 3 months past the 5 year warranty, I would have been annoyed, but knowing that I got 5 years and 3 months and a little over 86,000 miles out of it, it would have been easier to accept (well maybe, hah). In this case, It's an 11 month old 12k mile transmission that has called it quits. The dealer said I'm on the hook, as there is no warranty coverage. To me, especially on a part that is well documented to have a design/manufacture defect, is a big Fail for GM. :eek:hno:

21 - 40 of 86 Posts