EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

If the powertrain warranty has already expired, has your lambda's wave plate failed yet?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been watching this forum for a while as my wife drives a 2008 CX AWD with close to 80,000 miles, I'm a newbie and need some advice. When my wife had the option to choose whatever car she wanted, she chose the Buick Enclave and even though I'm a Ford fan it was her choice. As long as the wife is happy everyone is happy right? Well I'm in the Army and deployed so I constantly worry about my family's safety and reading about the Enclave gives me a bad feeling constantly. The car is an awesome vehicle and I admit that Ford has nothing that compares with the Enclave. Yesterday I call my wife and she tells me the engine is making a ticking sound that goes away when she gives it gas and she was having problems with the transmission!!! You can imagine the thoughts running through my head as I'm half way across the world. Even with the problems and no warranty (well I purchased one of those 3rd party warranty programs, no names mentioned), my wife loves loves loves her car and wants to keep it. So finally here's my question. What would you do? Options as I see them 1. Talk her into buying a new one and having the $650 a month payment for the next five years just to do this all over again (I deploy allot with the Army). 2. Pay someone to fix just the problems we have now, and hopefully nothing else goes wrong. 3. Pay a dealership to completely overhaul the engine and transmission for a hefty price with the peace of mind (?) for the next 100,000 miles or 5 years (whichever comes first lol). 4. Buy something else, maybe a BMW, Audi, Volvo etc... (that one will not happen, just thought I would throw it in there because it may be an option for others). Thank you all in advance for the information.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Has she taken it to a dealer service department for diagnostics and repair estimate? I would start there and have more information to work with. And I would be sure to have her tell the service manager where you are and why you're there. I would hope that would give him some initiative, knowing she's part of a family serving our country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed the dealership in Lawton, Oklahoma (closest one to my wife) for a quote. I'm thinking if she wants to keep it I might as well have the engine and transmission done at the same time. Her Dad worked for GM in Kentucky for many years and gave her the advice to rebuild it all and pay now instead of wasting the time to replace parts as they break since she wants to keep it. One of those things that's easier said then done. As I stated earlier I am a Ford fan and I have driven them into the ground with well over 200,000 miles on them and no problems, so replacing major parts on a vehicle with only 80,000 miles (some people on here with much less than that) is not the standard I would expect from a $35,000 vehicle that's only 5 years old. Just very frustrating especially when I'm not there to help out.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
First off, welcome to our forum, and thanks for serving in our military....really appreciate your dedication! :thumb: ;) :notworthy:

This is what I would do, only opinion, so take it as you can. Since you are gone a lot, dump this current vehicle, and lease her a new one. Until you are home all the time, and because you don't want this feeling of how she's doing all the time with any vehicle, just put her in a lease of her choice, that's affordable, and don't mess with buying another vehicle for her until you get home for good. Leases are not good for everyone, but in your particular situation I think it makes sense because her vehicle to drive will always be under warranty, and you wouldn't have to think so much about her in a vehicle that could break down. Not sure how you acquired this current one, new or used, but if you are mentioning paying over $600 a month and that's affordable, or at least doable for you, then anything on a lease for a new Enclave shouldn't be too far out of whack with that price range. As for the mileage yours has, 80K IS A LOT with today's vehicles. Gone are the days of keeping vehicles to 200K miles without major repairs because the auto companies don't use components that last as long. This trend has been happening for a while now, not just in vehicles. As sad as that sounds, people need to change the idea of what high mileage is these days. 80K-120K is pretty much the top end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll have her check into it, she travels allot from Oklahoma to Kentucky visiting family (hence the high mileage on the Enclave) so I'm not sure how many miles I would get on a loaner (the lease vehicle) without paying more than I should. I'm just not sure how to "dump" the other one, KBB says its worth $14,000 but not with the timing chain going out and the transmission acting up. I do not mean any disrespect but as for the new car mileage comment, I have to 100% disagree with you. I really dislike having a car payment so I maintain the cars I buy and drive them until the wheels fall off which is way more than 80,000 miles. I can easily walk my street and point out high mileage cars that are still running with no major issues. Before I bought my 2011 Fiesta I drove a 1994 Bronco (VIN: 1FMEU15H1RLB30987) with over 250,000, no issues except ac compressor and it guzzled gas. And my wife drove a 2002 Saturn VUE AWD (VIN:5GZCZ63B22S813445) with almost 300,000 miles, still had cold AC. But as I stated before, she wants to keep it so the final decision maker is the wife. I'm just trying to find the best way to keep her happy and not go broke at the same time.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
mcqueenslm said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll have her check into it, she travels allot from Oklahoma to Kentucky visiting family (hence the high mileage on the Enclave) so I'm not sure how many miles I would get on a loaner (the lease vehicle) without paying more than I should. I'm just not sure how to "dump" the other one, KBB says its worth $9000 but not with the timing chain going out and the transmission acting up. I do not mean any disrespect but as for the new car mileage comment, I have to 100% disagree with you. I really dislike having a car payment so I maintain the cars I buy and drive them until the wheels fall off which is way more than 80,000 miles. I can easily walk my street and point out high mileage cars that are still running with no major issues. Before I bought my 2011 Fiesta I drove a 1994 Bronco (VIN: 1FMEU15H1RLB30987) with over 250,000, no issues except ac compressor and it guzzled gas. And my wife drove a 2002 Saturn VUE AWD (VIN:5GZCZ63B22S813445) with almost 300,000 miles, still had cold AC. But as I stated before, she wants to keep it so the final decision maker is the wife. I'm just trying to find the best way to keep her happy and not go broke at the same time.
My main point was that today's vehicles, anything built after about 2006+ give or take, will just not last like the "old days". Sure, you can keep a car going, but the components are getting more and more expensive, and last a whole lot fewer miles/time than in the past due to a lot of different factors. It will probably take another 10 years for people to get this new way of thinking because for now, yes....there still are vehicles out there with over 200K miles. My sister has a 2001 Expedition with that kind of mileage....I keep wondering why they don't dump that, but then realize for them....they may not want to get into something newer where they would have to be changing their way of thinking as well. My statements are still a bit general, and I'm not saying EVERY vehicle out there won't last, but if you get into something much more expensive (BMW, Volvo, for instance) there becomes even other issues you need to deal with concerning cost of ownership. You would have to keep very good records and compare several cars over the course of 20+ years to see this trend of component failure earlier, and/or things costing more to replace. (unless for some reason we start to see a trend swing back the other way), but I'm not forecasting that....things are getting cheaper and cheaper, just way too many environmental/economic pressures to build things with materials that are not as strong as before. Not everyone will buy into my ideas here, but it's my best guess to how the trend is going. Take anything, vehicles, appliances around your house, electronics, they just don't last anymore....sad, really. If someone comes on this forum in 10 years from now and reads what I'm saying, I very well could be correct in my ideas....but again, they are only that.... forecasting ideas based on what I'm seeing a trend as of now. Sorry for the long winded response here. back to your wife's vehicle:

If you are too many miles per month, leasing wouldn't work for you...and I kind of was thinking that when writing my ideas for you....but if there's a way to keep mileage in check for a lease, it would be the perfect way to make sure your wife is in a newer vehicle, under warranty, all the time. The only other think I can suggest is to have Onstar active for your wife, so if anything were to go wrong, she has support to help her out. That's one very nice feature GM has. True, you can dump money into the transmission, and/or timing chain, but then other things can start going at that mileage. Think of it this way, you will always have car payments one way or the other....either to the bank, or to the repair shop. Only difference, you can budget for a bank payment, just saying.

(Oh, and you mentioned the timing chain....would you by chance have the extended warranty GM issued for those that covers it till 10 years or 120K miles?)

I guess weigh all your options, and go with the one that fits the best. Keep us posted to what you decide to do. I'm sure there will be other ideas that may be more helpful than mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I defiantly see your point. With the miles my wife drives I'll have to skip the lease option. I did not purchase the GM extended warranty, I bought the car used and purchased a warranty through a 3rd party because the salesman went from $2500 to around $1200 for the warranty. Thought I was getting a good deal and that's how we learn life lessons. Later on I checked into the warranty and after the $500 deductible and finding that they will only pay for portions of repairs (I don't remember the true numbers) I should have just saved the money for future repairs. Once I get a quote I will post it and the options I go with so I can get more advice on how to save some $$$ while keeping the wife in the car she loves. Thank you for the advise.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Kids, can you reveal your source(s) that suggest that 2006+ cars won't last as long as previous models? I am curious to get a better handle on that issue, especially when it comes time to plan for a new car that is 2006+.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Kids, can you reveal your source(s) that suggest that 2006+ cars won't last as long as previous models? I am curious to get a better handle on that issue, especially when it comes time to plan for a new car that is 2006+.
no source...just my best guess to when vehicle components got cheap. In 2006, that's when the Lambdas began, so kind of using that year as a reference. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I see mention of 80000 miles on the 2008. Depending on the in service date, there might still be GM powertrain warranty (5 years/100000) to cover the transmission and the timing chains.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
kidsenclave said:
no source...just my best guess to when vehicle components got cheap. In 2006, that's when the Lambdas began, so kind of using that year as a reference. :shrug:
I have gotten a similar sense about vehicle quality. I think that Japan's best years, for example, were during the 1990s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So here are the estimates I received from the local dealership, "Hello my name is Terry, im from milo gordon automall. i have an est for the repairs that you inquired about. i dont know the exact issue that is happening inside but the est for replacing timing chains is $1809.80 that will have an 12month 12000 mile warranty on repairs, and $6190.88 for replaceing the engine and this will have a 3yr 100000 mile warranty, the transmission might have a wavy plate problem and this is what i have priced est of $1928.40 for rebuild with 12month 12000 mile warranty and $3889.13 for replacement with 3yr 100000 mile warranty"

So $10,000 dollars + tax for the engine and transmission rebuild. I expected it to be a lot but WOW! I could buy another Ford Fiesta for a little more $$$.

And I see that GM advertises a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty for their rebuilds, where did the 3yr/100,000 mile warranty come from.

Can anyone here recommend a reputable repair shop near Elgin, OK (73538) or know of any way I can get some kind of discount? Maybe GM would let me wash dishes for a year or two. I was already told before I deployed that my warranty was no longer valid so this will be all from my pocket.

I think my best option is to convince the wife to never buy GM again. After she hears about this I don't think I'll have to try to hard.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
"wavy plate"????? :confused: :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
717 Posts
mcqueenslm said:
So here are the estimates I received from the local dealership, "Hello my name is Terry, im from milo gordon automall. i have an est for the repairs that you inquired about. i dont know the exact issue that is happening inside but the est for replacing timing chains is $1809.80 that will have an 12month 12000 mile warranty on repairs, and $6190.88 for replaceing the engine and this will have a 3yr 100000 mile warranty, the transmission might have a wavy plate problem and this is what i have priced est of $1928.40 for rebuild with 12month 12000 mile warranty and $3889.13 for replacement with 3yr 100000 mile warranty"

So $10,000 dollars + tax for the engine and transmission rebuild. I expected it to be a lot but WOW! I could buy another Ford Fiesta for a little more $$$.

And I see that GM advertises a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty for their rebuilds, where did the 3yr/100,000 mile warranty come from.

Can anyone here recommend a reputable repair shop near Elgin, OK (73538) or know of any way I can get some kind of discount? Maybe GM would let me wash dishes for a year or two. I was already told before I deployed that my warranty was no longer valid so this will be all from my pocket.

I think my best option is to convince the wife to never buy GM again. After she hears about this I don't think I'll have to try to hard.
I think you should just wait and see what happens - the wave plate issue doesnt show any symptoms so anything your wife 'thinks' is happening with the tranny is probably normal as the one in the '08 isnt matched well with the SI engine - its much better with the '09 DI engine smoothness wise.

The timing chain isnt a problem on the '08 so far (not wide spread) so again nothing to do there.

Why rebuild the engine again? My '08 has some ticking until warmed up - I wouldnt rebuild it due to hearing some ticking noises (unless you see some C4 with a fuse strapped to the block, then the ticking might be something else and you should call Mcgyver!)

So to recap - dont worry about the Enclave - the most pressing thing would be the potential wave plate failure and if you have under 100K miles GM has seemed to be willing to assist some in most cases. There is another thread on this which goes into detail the options you might want to consider to save money or get a better tranny warranty should it fail.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I agree with goochman's assessment of the situation.

BTW, goochman, have you tried upgrading to 89 octane gasoline from 87 octane as per the manual's instructions if there is any knocking?

·
Registered
717 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I agree with goochman's assessment of the situation.

BTW, goochman, have you tried upgrading to 89 octane gasoline from 87 octane as per the manual's instructions if there is any knocking?
Its not knocking - its a ticking sound, not sure what it is but wont worry about it until something stops working.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
A ticking sound could be sticking valves. Maybe fuel cleaner, such as Techron or Seafoam, might be helpful.

·
Banned
3 Posts
+1 2008 Enclave failure with 68,000 miles on it. I haven't gotten it diagnosed, but having a fair amount of wrench turning know-how and reading everything on this site as far as my vehicle symptoms - I am fast approaching zero and below optimism. This sucks - I am, what I would consider, die hard GM fan. I have defended GM (despite questionable practices in the past) and have always driven and owned GM vehicles. You would think that with so many identical problems, it would be addressed. I can't even imagine how much more we would know about if you count people that just take their vehicle in and eat the cost of repair.
It is likely that if my experience is similar to others, I will leave GM. This makes me sad - My wife, our families, and I have been thus far thoroughly impressed with the Buick Enclave. But like a previous member posted, if GM can't stick by their products (and their consumers), then I can't either.
I posted more on my situation on another thread.
I am taking my Enclave in to the local dealership tomorrow. So more to follow.
The Buick Customer rep, I've been watching a lot of your posts and I can't say how I feel about the stance of Buick on this. What is the Buick position on this anyways?

Rob

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
robzilla said:
+1 2008 Enclave failure with 68,000 miles on it. I haven't gotten it diagnosed, but having a fair amount of wrench turning know-how and reading everything on this site as far as my vehicle symptoms - I am fast approaching zero and below optimism. This sucks - I am, what I would consider, die hard GM fan. I have defended GM (despite questionable practices in the past) and have always driven and owned GM vehicles. You would think that with so many identical problems, it would be addressed. I can't even imagine how much more we would know about if you count people that just take their vehicle in and eat the cost of repair.
It is likely that if my experience is similar to others, I will leave GM. This makes me sad - My wife, our families, and I have been thus far thoroughly impressed with the Buick Enclave. But like a previous member posted, if GM can't stick by their products (and their consumers), then I can't either.
I posted more on my situation on another thread.
I am taking my Enclave in to the local dealership tomorrow. So more to follow.
The Buick Customer rep, I've been watching a lot of your posts and I can't say how I feel about the stance of Buick on this. What is the Buick position on this anyways?

Rob
I understand your frustration, and for sure the Lambdas have had their share of issues, mainly due to the fact they were a brand new platform, brand new everything. Just curious, what have your other GM's been? Reason I ask is, most people base their good experiences on past GM's that were older platform designs, like someonething on the w-body....current Impala, or the h-body....Bonneville/LeSabre.....or a Blazer....which was around a long time. I totally get being frustrated over buying a vehicle you thought would be great, based on past experiences....but in reality we have several factors in place here. One being the move for large vehicles being on car like platforms, CUV's...which require more tuning to get power and gas mileage, and in turn have parts that fail too early because they are expected to handle more torque, for example. The biggest gripe I have is, anytime I even bring up an issue with my dealer, when I don't have it or if I do....they say they have never heard of that before. THAT is the part that gets my blood boiling, but this is from one dealership so I'm not going to slam all of them. Sales was/is great at my local Buick dealer, but service leads something to be desired.

So basically seems like the trend is....a bad GM vehicle gets people to jump ship so fast their heads spin. Would this still be the case had you owned a Toyota/Honda/Nissan/etc.? Seems to me that there has been way more forgiveness for other brands when people get a bad one.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts