EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waxed "Charlie Brown" today. I wasn't sure what to do as far as waxing the cladding and B & C pillars, anyone have experience with those?? I had opinions from our cleaning Gurus but nothing concrete!

The aircraft in the background of the picture is one of the four Gulfstreams I "drive" when I have to go to work!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
I'm not sure that I would wax them at all. If I did, I would check to see how the material handles the "wax" in a small inconspicuous spot. I would even wait days to weeks to see how it looks after some time. The cladding is a vinyl material I believe and may not need anything but keeping it clean. What have the "gurus" said?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
I use to have cars with the black textured plastic that if any wax got on these at all, it was stained white forever, hated that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
johnt26 said:
Waxed "Charlie Brown" today. I wasn't sure what to do as far as waxing the cladding and B & C pillars, anyone have experience with those?? I had opinions from our cleaning Gurus but nothing concrete!

The picture is one of the four Gulfstreams I "drive" when I have to go to work!

As an airplane "nut", I envy your profession!!! The closest I get is Microsoft FSX. :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
johnt26 said:
Waxed "Charlie Brown" today. I wasn't sure what to do as far as waxing the cladding and B & C pillars, anyone have experience with those?? I had opinions from our cleaning Gurus but nothing concrete!

The picture is one of the four Gulfstreams I "drive" when I have to go to work!
The cladding is a plastic material (black or dark gray on my WDT with satin nickle cladding) that is painted with a satin finish. It is not molded with the color throughout. If you use something like a cleaner wax or polish on it you will see the color on your pad. I used a pure Carnauba wax (because it doesn't have any abrasives in it) on mine but I'm not sure what product might be best. This material may in fact be the same as the flexible material just above the chrome trim on the front that is painted and clear coated; the big difference being the "clear coat". I'm also interested as to what is best to use on the pillars or if they should just be left alone. Please post anything you come up with.

Nice plane; I know it's a tough job but someone has to do it!! As Senior Project Manager for a construction company I often work with a Project Manager for the School Board in our County that is 1/8th owner of a P-51 two seater and has flown the "Memphis Belle". Unfortunately the P-51 stays in California so I haven't had the opportunity to have him take me up in it. Kind of like day and night between those and the Gulfstream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses but it sounds like we still have the problem.

The Jetfast detailers examined them for awhile and said leave them alone, but I think that was just the "safe" answer.

I had similar "B" pillar material in my Sienna and it waxed fine. Still not sure about the cladding, I did the areas above the wheel wells and a small piece of the "C" pillar so I'll see if there is any turning white issues over time. I drove 300 miles in the snow today, I'm still extremely impressed with its' snow capability and I'm hard to impress, although a heated wiper deice strip on the windshield bottom and headlight washers are on my wish list for future Enclaves...after the next cleaning I'll see about the wax!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
xrayman said:
The cladding is a vinyl material I believe and may not need anything but keeping it clean. What have the "gurus" said?
By "cladding" I was refering to the B and C pillar material. The material along the bottom of the Enclave is painted and should take wax OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh OK, they thought it was painted too but didn't think I should wax it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
I also would think waxing is OK for the cladding, but I'd be very careful with using tar remover. I tried a very little on a cloth (no direct application) and I think it lightened the color a bit. So, I'll be very careful with it's use in the future.

I'm not sure what waxing would accomplish as the cladding has a dull finish and is plastic so it won't rust. I think I am going to leave mine alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update..Re: Waxing Cladding and "B & C" Pillars

After all the rain the test spot I waxed on the B & C pillar flat trim has indeed turned white so, don't wax it!!

I used Maquires trim detailer with wax remover, time will tell if that removes the spot.

The plastic panels on the bottom of car seem fine, I'll know better if it ever stops raining so I can get the car washed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Re: Update..Re: Waxing Cladding and "B & C" Pillars

johnt26 said:
After all the rain the test spot I waxed on the B & C pillar flat trim has indeed turned white so, don't wax it!!

I used Maquires trim detailer with wax remover, time will tell if that removes the spot.

The plastic panels on the bottom of car seem fine, I'll know better if it ever stops raining so I can get the car washed!
Sorry to hear that it turned it white. Wax on unpainted pastic is a big no no, my general rule is no chemicals on black or grey plastic areas. If the wax remover doesn't work, you can buy matching auto trim paint, and paint the cladding.

FYI... I actually looked at an Acadia on a lot that had wax bleached cladding on it, not sure if the dealer did it or the first owner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used a Maguires product that removed 99%, I'll give it 1 more coat... it was a very small test area.

The plastic on the bottom of the car appears to have taken my test area of wax fine, may wax the whole thing, opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
johnt26 said:
Used a Maguires product that removed 99%, I'll give it 1 more coat... it was a very small test area.

The plastic on the bottom of the car appears to have taken my test area of wax fine, may wax the whole thing, opinions?
I used Zaino polish on the whole vehicle about 10 days ago including the lower panels. Bear in mind, Zaino is not a wax. The bottom panels have shown no issues whatsoever with the Zaino in 10 days of snow. sleet, slush, etc.

For those considering Zaino, it goes on real easy, comes off real easy, and lasts for longer than 6 months and the shine is INCREDIBLE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
cruiser68 said:
I used Zaino polish on the whole vehicle about 10 days ago including the lower panels. Bear in mind, Zaino is not a wax. The bottom panels have shown no issues whatsoever with the Zaino in 10 days of snow. sleet, slush, etc.

For those considering Zaino, it goes on real easy, comes off real easy, and lasts for longer than 6 months and the shine is INCREDIBLE!
Used Zaino on my M-B. It was almost always in the garage at home and work. Kept the shine for more than a year. When I washed it, it beaded up great! Highly recommend their products. Plan on the Enclave getting the treatment in the spring after the "thaw" :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xrayman said:
Used Zaino on my M-B. It was almost always in the garage at home and work. Kept the shine for more than a year. When I washed it, it beaded up great! Highly recommend their products. Plan on the Enclave getting the treatment in the spring after the "thaw" :thumb:
I just received the Zaino leather products on this lists advice..jury is still out, it doesn't leave anything like a shine. I'm hoping it "seals" the leather as we are having the blue jean color on the cashmere issue. I have the same leather interior in our infiniti, no issues so far..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I found that if you use a wax on the cladding or B or C pillars, use a wax like PS-21 Carnauba Wax that is the only natural wax that does not leave a cloudy white film on trim or plastic parts. BTW, this is one of the best carnauba waxes I have ever used. Beats all the Zymol wax products. Besides providing great protection, it definitely does not leave that cloudly residue look on bumpers or any other place I inadvertently get wax on.

Press
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
So what is the final verdict on waxing the lower cladding? Is there an approved list from GM or Buick?I washed and waxed last week but was too scared to wax the lower cladding. I was using Mequires gold class deep crystal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
johnt26 said:
Waxed "Charlie Brown" today. I wasn't sure what to do as far as waxing the cladding and B & C pillars, anyone have experience with those?? I had opinions from our cleaning Gurus but nothing concrete!

The aircraft in the background of the picture is one of the four Gulfstreams I "drive" when I have to go to work!
Use windex original and not the bleach kind and use a micro fiber towel to shine your B pillars and I also use the windex on my chrome rims..... enclave tony ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
That nasty white residue on textured plastic comes off with "Greased Lightning" spray cleaner. But stay AWAY from painted surfaces, the clear coat does not like it. And after that use Mother's "Black to black" for protection and shine.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top