EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Interesting. I tried that a bunch of years ago on my shower glass. It worked pretty well, but the wax was very hard to polish off after it dried to a haze. It took so much effort that I never bothered to repeat the application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
I use Zaino's Z-12 Glass Polish. Will also remove small scratches from the glass if you use a rotary or DA polisher
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Yeah, I tried it once. I don't remember what wax I used though. Didn't seem like it lasted any longer than something like RainX. Might have to try again my my Collinite since that stuff lasts six months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
I don['t use a glass wax. But I do use regular Windex, with a razor blade to get the heavy grime off, then Griot's Garage Glass Clay with Windex, then Windex with micro fibre cloth. Finished with a coat of Rain-ex.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
I myself don't care to wax my windshield; but I had a recent need to get rid of some external "film" (almost like a surface corrosion) which was present on my Lucerne after we took delivery.

Rather than doing (or using) anything fancy, I simply used typical paint clay.....not a purpose-designed clay for glass......and I applied it identically as though I was cleaning paint (spray surface with detailer, apply the clay as instructed, and wipe clean and dry with an MF cloth). All I know is that not only is that film gone, but I was driving late the other night in a moderate rain.....and at highway speeds, the water droplets were flying off the windshield much like that after a good application of Rain-X.

So, I think I discovered a great way to both clean the exterior glass, as well as gaining that repellent action I like so much......and I didn't need to apply the repellent. The only question now is how long will this repellent action last; for me, Rain-X typically has never lasted last more than a couple (or maybe three) rain episodes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
I need to try to "claying" my windshield, have a stupid film on the exterior that won't go away. Was going to do the glass clay but I think I will just use a fresh bar of Meguiar's that I have on my shelf. thanks for bringing this topic up.

I also agree on Rain-X. I liked it at first but then it just turned into a pain in the ass to up keep.

I think the automatic car washes put the film on my window, likely the "wax/protectant" cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
wvuguy said:
I myself don't care to wax my windshield; but I had a recent need to get rid of some external "film" (almost like a surface corrosion) which was present on my Lucerne after we took delivery.

Rather than doing (or using) anything fancy, I simply used typical paint clay.....not a purpose-designed clay for glass......and I applied it identically as though I was cleaning paint (spray surface with detailer, apply the clay as instructed, and wipe clean and dry with an MF cloth). All I know is that not only is that film gone, but I was driving late the other night in a moderate rain.....and at highway speeds, the water droplets were flying off the windshield much like that after a good application of Rain-X.

So, I think I discovered a great way to both clean the exterior glass, as well as gaining that repellent action I like so much......and I didn't need to apply the repellent. The only question now is how long will this repellent action last; for me, Rain-X typically has never lasted last more than a couple (or maybe three) rain episodes.
wvuguy, I bet you are probably correct in the applying the detailer to the windshield is what is giving that repellent like action to work for you. I might have to try that! :)

timmy said:
I need to try to "claying" my windshield, have a stupid film on the exterior that won't go away. Was going to do the glass clay but I think I will just use a fresh bar of Meguiar's that I have on my shelf. Thanks for bringing this topic up.

I also agree on Rain-X. I liked it at first but then it just turned into a pain in the ass to up keep.

I think the automatic car washes put the film on my window, likely the "wax/protectant" cycle.
I agree with both of you, rain-x is becoming a pain for me as well to do "so often". Also, agree that the drive thru carwashes that offer a "fast wax" type of coating/finish, getting on the exterior of the glass allows for that repellent action to happen, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
cfedor said:
wvuguy, I bet you are probably correct in the applying the detailer to the windshield is what is giving that repellent like action to work for you. I might have to try that! :)
To be honest, I was initially thinking the repellent action was the result of the "pristine" finish created by using the clay bar......but now that you mention it, this might indeed be more the result of using detailer spray. For the record, I used Meguiars Quik Detailer; but I assume comparable quick detailer products will offer similar benefits.

Not that you asked, but I myself probably wouldn't use the detailer spray alone; it's my basic nature not to shortcut, but rather to do the entire clay "treatment" (which is honestly a 5 minute job max). But if you're just looking for some easy-to-apply repellent action, I'm not sure what you'd have to lose by trying the spray by itself. And BTW, I drove in the rain yesterday for the second time, and the repellent action seems (for now) to be holding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
timmy said:
I need to try to "claying" my windshield, have a stupid film on the exterior that won't go away. Was going to do the glass clay but I think I will just use a fresh bar of Meguiar's that I have on my shelf. thanks for bringing this topic up.

I also agree on Rain-X. I liked it at first but then it just turned into a pain in the ass to up keep.

I think the automatic car washes put the film on my window, likely the "wax/protectant" cycle.
In the past, I've kicked around the idea of buying glass clay; but for one reason or another......maybe I'm too lazy, or perhaps just too cheap.....I never pulled the trigger. However, instinct tells me that glass clay might actually be more aggressive than paint clay; and when it comes to auto glass surfaces.....which would seem to be a fair distance more scratch resistant than paint surfaces.....more aggressive would probably do a better job.

But having had what appears to be good luck with paint clay, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy glass clay now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
I too use Meguiars clay bar and detailing spray.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top