EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question ...my Enclave has 3,100 miles on it, and we are about to do a 700 mile trip -- I have not had the first service yet -- think the car will be okay? Of course, will schedule the service as soon as we return.

Thanks

Lisa

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I just had my oil changed at 2000 miles, 6 months old.
I always felt that the first oil change was most important to be done early, but that may be an old way of thinking. I am sure you will be fine on your trip, just make sure that the oil level is where it should be.

Have a safe trip! :thumb:

MRBUICK

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with MRBUICK. I changed mine at 3,000 miles out of habit, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a nice trip!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Even dino oil is supposed to be good to at least 5k miles these days. If you go by the owner's manual you can go until the DIC tells you to change the oil or one year, whichever comes first. You should be fine.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My dealer recommended the first change at 1000 miles. This is what I did.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd recommend changing it, to get any new-car-gunk out, and then going by the DIC. It seems like relatively cheap insurance. But not that I'm a mechanic or anything....

[But I'm sure the car will be 'OK' if you don't -- not changing it won't cause engine failure...]

·
Registered
349 Posts
I generally make the first change early at around 1000 or 1500 just to get some of the break-in metal out. After that, I use synthetic and change according to the DIC.

Also your Enclave is guessing on the condition of the oil, not actually testing it. It guesses based upon many factors but it is still a guess. I had oil analysis done on my Tahoe and it reported that in that vehicle the oil was breaking down before the DIC said to change it. According to testing, my Tahoe got changed at 5000miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! We leave tomorrow am...and things have been so crazy that I missed the 3K mark....I hope that everything will hold up, and I will get it changed as soon as i return (unless they can squeeze me in today :thumb:) i will call now.

Really appreciate your responses!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY BELATED HANUKAH AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Lisa

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
cruiser68 said:
I generally make the first change early at around 1000 or 1500 just to get some of the break-in metal out. After that, I use synthetic and change according to the DIC.

Also your Enclave is guessing on the condition of the oil, not actually testing it. It guesses based upon many factors but it is still a guess. I had oil analysis done on my Tahoe and it reported that in that vehicle the oil was breaking down before the DIC said to change it. According to testing, my Tahoe got changed at 5000miles.
Fascinating about the Tahoe. I have a Yukon also and put about 4K miles a year on it. I change the oil yearly. (w/ Syntec) Just curious. How did you get the oil analyzed?/ I always wonder if they are giving me the Synthetic when I pay for it? my guys a small guy and has a few mechanics. He is not always there. I watch as much as possible but sometimes they put it in the last bay.

Also, what did they charge?? you'd think someone would make an OTC kit as they do with Pregnancy testers!! Just don't get them mixed up or YOU may get greased!! ;D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Fascinating about the Tahoe. I have a Yukon also and put about 4K miles a year on it. I change the oil yearly. (w/ Syntec) Just curious. How did you get the oil analyzed?/ I always wonder if they are giving me the Synthetic when I pay for it? my guys a small guy and has a few mechanics. He is not always there. I watch as much as possible but sometimes they put it in the last bay.

Also, what did they charge?? you'd think someone would make an OTC kit as they do with Pregnancy testers!! Just don't get them mixed up or YOU may get greased!! ;D
I used these guys http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for testing. I think it was $17 per test. I change my own oil so I could run Mobil 1 AND include the test fee and it was still cheaper than having it changed with synth at a quick lube place. I knew I was going to keep the Tahoe for a long time so I started testing at about 5000 miles and tested every oil change. They send you test kits which is a plastic container and a mailing kit. Just send a sample and a week later they send a report and recommendation on oil changes. Tells you if your air filter is working (high silicate levels if not),tells you if your oil filter is still filtering (high insolubles if not), and gives you good warning to a potential failure (you would see higher levels of certain metals for certain types of failures (high bearing wear, cylinder scraping, etc), tells you if there is any antifreeze in the oil, etc.

Here http://home.comcast.net/~dabish/Enclave/Oil_Analysis.jpg is a sample report from way back at 164K ;D By the way, for those discussing K&N filters and/or intakes, I ran one in my Tahoe along with a cat-back exhaust and testing showed if filtered almost exactly the same as the stock paper filter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
lisa said:
Thanks everyone! We leave tomorrow am...and things have been so crazy that I missed the 3K mark....I hope that everything will hold up, and I will get it changed as soon as i return (unless they can squeeze me in today :thumb:) i will call now.

Really appreciate your responses!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY BELATED HANUKAH AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Lisa
Actually, when you return after a long trip, the oil will probably be in better shape than it was before the trip. The oil will be at full temperature for an extended period which will burn-off all of the contaminants. Oil is good for a pretty long amount of miles as long as you let it get fully heater every once in a while. It's the short trips that kill the oil because the car runs rich at start-up which makes unburned gasoline and water build-up in the oil. Burn that stuff off and the oil is good as new. Of course, over time, the oil will break-down and not lubricate as well but again, I wouldn't bother changing it as soon as you get back because it won't be necessary.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am REALLY confused now...I thought we were to change oil every 3000 miles. Now the dealer tells me, "your car will let you know when it needs changing.".....HUH?! First oil change at 1000??? 3000???? When I get an email from "Shapphire"?? Help! (have 3000+ right now!!) [/color] :help:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just use the car's display and you'll be fine. The 3,000 mile thing was a Jiffy Lube marketing ploy. If you take a lot of short trips and don't let the oil get to full temperature once in a while, I'd say follow the 3,000 mile philosophy but if you take longer trips (let's say 20 miles or more) ever once in a while, the oil will hold-up just fine. Most manufacturers recommend 5,000 to 7,500 miles between changes.

One thing to make sure is that you check the oil. If you go over 3,000 miles, there's a chance your oil level might get low and you don't want to drive an engine that's low in oil.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
I am REALLY confused now...I thought we were to change oil every 3000 miles. Now the dealer tells me, "your car will let you know when it needs changing.".....HUH?! First oil change at 1000??? 3000???? When I get an email from "Shapphire"?? Help! (have 3000+ right now!!) [/color] :help:
The 3,000 mile oil change was for the old days when non-synthetic oil needed additives to be multi-viscosity. These additives would be used up rather quickly and usually made the oil less effective. Later when the oil became better with better additives, conservative companies like Volvo went to 5,000 miles.

Now that most modern engines require synthetic for various reasons, oil breakdown and additives have improved to the point where even 15,000 mile oil changes are probably OK, but most manufacturers are playing it safe with around 10,000 or 12,000 miles. Porsche has had 15,000 mile oil change intervals since at least 1984!

Regular oils have been problematic in sludging, malfunctioning hydraulics, and premature wear in high end cars like Mercedes and even Toyota/Lexus, VW/Audi, and Mazda engines. Up until recently, US manufacturers didn't have as many problems since they had overhead valve designs in most of their cars which were decidedly low tech. There was even a stink about "Japanese oil standards" that the big 3 didn't support about a decade ago, perhaps because they didn't want to give in. But now the big 3 have overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder variable valve timing designs (like our Enclaves) that most certainly are more sensitive to oil quality. Many of the hydraulic valve mechanisms require a specific viscosity, which synthetic is best at maintaining. Combustion chamber design has also become more stressful and demanding on oil, so again, synthetic is required to keep the top ring from premature wear.

TM

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tin Man... You mention synthetic oil being required in most modern engines. I know the Enclave's engine is technologically up to date, but see nowhere in it's literature that synthetic oil is required. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
758 Posts
jacko said:
Tin Man... You mention synthetic oil being required in most modern engines. I know the Enclave's engine is technologically up to date, but see nowhere in it's literature that synthetic oil is required. Am I missing something?
GM is getting close to this with its 6094M spec for 5W30. If you look at the oils available in that category, most are full synthetics or semi-synthetic.

All the European engine manufacturers now recommend full synthetic to my knowledge as well as Corvette. Some others also I wouldn't doubt.

I would not use conventional 5W30 in the Enclave and run it at the recommended extended drain interval. It would need to be changed every 5000 miles IMO. One poster found his oil to be "used up" after 5000 miles on oil testing already.

When Pennzoil came out with its "hydrocracked" oil, it came very close to a type III synthetic, so perhaps if you must, use one of theirs that is 5W30 GM 6094M approved.

TM

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks Tin Man. If I ever quit changing my oil at 3000, I'll switch to synthetic. I have always had my oil changed at my dealer, so I'm assuming the oil they use is within their own spec. Another reason I change it so frequently is that most of my driving is stop and go city, 10 to 15 miles at a time.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I took mine in for the first OIL service today. Have owned mine since July 21st. The DIC said about 28% of oil life left, but I needed the tire rotated since it is at 6,234 miles.

Is there any special type of oil to give such long oil-life i.e, synthetic? The girl at the counter was saying they are going to put regular oil in it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
We do a lot of driving. If we changed our oil every 3,000 miles we would literally be bringing a car in every 2 weeks!

What a waste to do this when you can get a superior oil and save money/time by changing it less. Oil testing has shown in many applications that synthetic way outlasts manufacturer recommended intervals.

Mobil 1 has a "truck and SUV" 5W30 full synthetic with extra additives (costs the same as regular Mobil 1 synthetic) for engines that are extra stressed like perhaps Enclave's. A GM, Mobil 1, or Purolator oil filter should do just fine. You can get this at the local AutoZone or other stores and do it yourself.

With all due respect to dealers, I don't think they all use oil to spec. VW certainly has dealers that don't always. This may be true because many dealers don't feel it makes that much difference. I would ask to see if the conventional oil they use is 5W30 GM 6094M spec oil by looking at the container. Our dealer has a supply of synthetic for those customers that know better.

TM

1 - 20 of 57 Posts