EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know -- or maybe someone in Lansing can tell me -- what kind of material is used to coat the window frames of the Enclave? It's sort of like a matte version of Plastisol, the stuff they used to put on the rocker panels of a lot of vehicles to keep stone chips from happening -- before using the plastic cladding used on so many vehicles.

My reason for asking is this: I was very busy yesterday trying to do some yard work (1st nice day in about a week, grass needed a sickle to cut!) -- so the Enclave just sat in the garage looking pretty ;D. Then last night, I went out into the garage just to take another look, sit in for a while. And I noticed, on the frame of the driver's door and 2nd row door on the same side, what looked like 2 drip marks. I wet my finger and rubbed the marks but they were still there. Then I got the nano-wax out and put a small dab on a rag and tried to rub the drip marks off -- no go. I almost used some new stuff I have from Meguiars for CLEAR plastic (like headlight and taillights -- to polish up the appearance and remove scratches), but then I read the bottle and it specifically said not to used on painted surfaces, so I put it away. The drips are still there and thankfully, there are only 2 spots on each frame on that side that I could see.

Clearly, something dripped on got on them either at the factory, on the carrier used to transport to the dealer or at the dealership itself when they were detailing -- don't know which. But you'd think there would be something I could use to clean off those drip marks -- if I knew for sure what process/material they used to coat the window frames, then I could try and look for a product that is supposed to work.

Any Lansing body shop/paint guys that can help out here? ???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Between your problem and the one that lisaoleary is having I wonder if Buick/GM/Lansing is having a more significant issue with their trim work and painting.
I would'nt be surprised to see more of this coming to light. Although I hope this does not come to pass. I think anyone having these issues should escalate the matter directly to GM so that they can track the occurances and to protect your rights to recover costs for any repairs or to have them make the repairs.

If this is happening to others out there then GM will have to fix it. I know when I get mine (end of september) it better not have this problem or GM will be making good on it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I'd update this thread for everyone's benefit -- including our friends (Hi Don!) in Lansing.

I had some private exchanges with Don about my drip marks -- he talked to the folks there and they suggested isopropyl alcohol (not nail polish remover) to try and remove the marks -- it was either that, or they suggested having the tape replaced at the dealer, fully covered by the warranty. Because there's some "disassembly" involved -- my wife was 1000% against having anyone at the dealership do this, figuring this was the 1st time they would be pulling apart an Enclave, so I had to agree with her.

I did some more research on what Don told me these marks likely were from (adhesion promoter) -- and found some great information on 3M's website that talked about what should be used to remove this kind of product: either MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or Acetone. When I asked Don, he said that MEK was not allowed at the plant, so I figured I should stay away from a chemical that was too dangerous to allow into GM mfg plant. I went to Walmart and purchased acetone -- cost me about $5 for a small metal container of the stuff. I used a microfiber cloth wetted with acetone and kept turning the cloth and wiping any residue in between -- voila -- the drip marks came off and the acetone did not discolor or otherwise affect the tape used.

So -- if you spot any drip marks like I posted in my gallery, use acetone sparingly and they should come off!

Thanks Don for all your help.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Thanks desgnconcpts, it's people like you that make this forum so valuable. ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you don't want to buy acetone, you can use fingernail polish remover - it's also mostly acetone.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BadAV said:
If you don't want to buy acetone, you can use fingernail polish remover - it's also mostly acetone.
While I'm not a chemist -- I would highly recommend NOT using nail polish remover.
1st and foremost, the GM folks involved told me specifically NOT to use nail polish remover -- maybe fearing that other chemical components in it might react with the tape.

In addition, I went directly to a very good source of information: 3M, a mfg of adhesion promoter -- to see what they recommend using for removal. Acetone and MEK, NOT nail polish remover. Walmart had both, but based on my conversation with the GM folks, given the fact they don't even allow MEK into their plants -- I opted for acetone.

$5 is a cheap price to pay to avoid having a mechanic or body shop guy "practice" on removing and installing the window frame tape. It sounded pretty involved when it was explained to me. Besides, the acetone is good for removing other "gooey" residue.

Oh, and thanks MRBUICK for your kind note! ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've noticed water spots show real easy on this material as well. Anyone know if it can be armor all'ed? Also anyone know where you can get pieces of this tape material? I would like to make a small exterior modification to my clave with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you could use Armor All but that would defeat the purpose of what the designers wanted, which was a more flat black surface (no sheen) without use a flat black or matte finish paint.

As for where to get the material -- ?? That I don't know -- maybe if our Lansing folks are reading this thread, they can let us know where it can be purchased.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the tip desgnconcpts. :thumb:

I took a close look at our window frames last night and found a few drip marks. Nothing as extensive as your pictures show, but spots and runs none the less. I already have a small can of Acetone (great stuff - what ever happened to Carbon-Tet??) in the basement. I plan to do a bit of spot removal tonight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Mapper,
Glad this helped you out! I've found a few other spots I didn't initially see and the acetone really worked wonders.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I recently noticed a very small wrinkle on the drivers door window frame. I think it's too small to bother with. My dealer has been great and I don't want to take a chance that the fix will be worse than the wrinkle. Maybe I am too picky. :help:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MRBUICK said:
I don't want to take a chance that the fix will be worse than the wrinkle. Maybe I am too picky.
MRBUICK, exactly the same reason I chose the gentle acetone removal by me instead of taking the chance that whatever they do at the dealer MIGHT be worse. Plus, the thought of having our Enclave torn apart is not exactly appealing. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
No one else noticed it except me. In fact, even I didn't see it until the first time I washed it. I guess I will leave it alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts