EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, what is the deal? Has anyone else seen the GM RED TAG SALE commercial that features an Enclave? They make it sound like they are offering it on ALL GM models (including 2008's now which before it was 2007's only with a rebate on 2008) but when you go to Buick's site, the "red tag sale" for an Enclave is 5.9%...which is NOT a good deal being that this is what is offered EVER DAY!!!! What the heck?! I know most all of you already own your baby, so this probably doesn't even bother you. But, as you may know from my previous posts, I was wondering if it would be worth waiting a tad bit since I know GM offers deals this time of year and then again in the summertime. I've bought 4 vehicles on the red tag sale. I know cars can't be moving all that well right now with the economy the way it is...but this makes me feel like they are saying "Hey, Enclaves are selling so let's not include them!" (Great for the name of Enclave BUT.......)
Doesn't this semm like crappy advertising? It's misleading none-the-less and I'm peeved!!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok. Calm down, then read the posts in "Buying, leasing, for Enclaves" there. I know it's frustrating cause I paid about 8% on my lease deal, after I rationalized I had $2k in GM points, plus got $1K in conquest, and they paid 2 months for my early lease surrender on my previous car. (yeah, I'm nuts, but needed a car fast, found EXACTLY what we wanted right in front of us and had it in 48 hours!) I should've waited for the 5.9% they now offer!. But I've had fun for almost 6 months already! ;D

Bottom line: it's still a hot car and they know it. great deals are out there but you gotta look hard. Balance your wallet with your desires and needs (those last 2 are not always the same ;)) and go from there!

The posts mentioned above have incredible info, but I'll sum it up for you............the folks that bought at rural dealers ALMOST ALWAYS got a better price! Then if you find one in stock, act fast if it's what you like! Otherwise order and wait 9-20 weeks for about $500 above invoice, in most cases. You decide :thumb:

Merry!!

PS ....see this thread by htrdgrma . Second hand Demos,etc now surfacing at great prices! http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1942.0;topicseen

·
Registered
509 Posts
Exactly.

I've never once thought those commercials were misleading...but I stay up to date with all of that stuff.

The Enclave is a very hot product, and there's no reason whatsoever to be throwing rebates, financing, etc. on the hood. The vehicles that need that get it, and that's that. You're still getting a FANTASTIC deal buying an Enclave for a few hundred over invoice and then financing at something like the credit union rates or rates through a bank from the dealer around the mid 5%'s...just a great deal.

GM is trying more and more to further trim the gap between MSRP and invoice in the first place too, so there's a further lack of need for discounting on overpriced products. A couple hundred or grand in "dealer haggling" and be on your merry way is how it has worked with many makers like Honda for years...and how it's going to be more and more with GM.

So...let go of the anger and just buy an Enclave now, if you want one and it's in the budget, or hold off longer to further make up your decision--but don't just wait for that day in the sky when "deals" come out. Maybe that won't even happen, and if it does, you won't like/want one as much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks you two! I had to blow off steam. I know that the Enclave is so hot they don't NEED to throw out extra deals...I just think it's silly when the ad FEATURES an Enclave. It makes people think "Hey, that's a nice looking car. I think I'll check into owning a GM!" And then they got the sucker! I'm just bummed about their marketing, that's all! Thanks for the reference of the other threads!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
akin187 said:
OK, thanks you two! I had to blow off steam. I know that the Enclave is so hot they don't NEED to throw out extra deals...I just think it's silly when the ad FEATURES an Enclave. It makes people think "Hey, that's a nice looking car. I think I'll check into owning a GM!" And then they got the sucker! I'm just bummed about their marketing, that's all! Thanks for the reference of the other threads!
I definitely see your point. I hate to be misled also! But, alas, the World of Auto Advertising.......... ;)
Good luck finding your Enclave!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree, it would be misleading if I'm not eternally sceptical of all people trying to make money off me. GM starts their commercial by showing their hottest cars to grab your attention, but in reality the deals being offered are for the cars that aren't as hot. I understand they never made a misleading statement but they just shouldn't show that vehicle if it's not one getting a special offer. Ohh well, once again I guess it breaks down to making a buck. I forget which president it was who's policy was "What's good for business is good for America."

I haven't bought yet and a little 1-2k nudge would probably be all it would take to get my wife and I to make the purchase, but alas it's a hot car and no one wants to do that. It'll still be around next year and the year after, and at some point it won't be so hot. Plus, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some small added features for '09 (like cooled seats so I can push for black leather).

·
Registered
314 Posts
"What is good for business is good for America" was famously stated by President Coolidge. Interestingly, President Eisenhower's Secretary of Defense, former General Motors head Charlie Wilson, reworked this during Ike's first term by saying to Congress, "What's good for General Motors is good for the nation." That quip cost good ol' Ike more than a few votes in 1956.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I understand why the OP is ticked off. The ad guys probably weren't thinking, left hand not talking to the right hand thing. But that's no excuse.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No no, I think they knew EXACTLY what they were doing! Just like beer commercials do with scantily clad women, GM puts the hot, flashy car at the beginning of the commercial to grab your attention before you tune out, THEN gets it's product and message out. As far as marketing goes, it's obviously working if for no other reason than we're discussing it. A commercial doesn't have to be likeable to be successful (see "Headon. Apply directly to forehead"). I'm just eternally skeptical about anybody trying to part me from my money.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, I have also studied P.T. Barnum...................."there's a sucker born every minute." I try to be one of the guys born between minutes! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts