EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

How many miles were on your Enclave's odometer when its wave plate failed?

• 0-9,999

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,000-19,999

• 20,000-29,999

• 30,000-39,999

• 40,000-49,999

• 50,000-59,999

• 60,000-69,999

• 70,000-79,999

• 80,000-89,999

• 90,000-99,999

• 100,000-124,999

• 125,000-149,999

• 150,000-174,999

• 175,000-199,999

• 200,000+

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I am sorry to read about your Enclave's wave plate failure. At least yours is still under warranty. My drivetrain warranty will expire toward the end of November due to the 5 year limit. At about $2,000 to repair, from what I understand, the cost to repair is substantial, but would be only about 4-5 monthly payment for a new car instead. It is still a more affordable bill from my perspective. Unwanted, but more affordable.
Its pretty sad that I was 'hoping' it would happen - my wife was furious and I told her, no this is a good thing..................

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I feel the same way so that the seemingly inevitable premature failure will be on GM's tab instead of mine. ::)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is the waveplate failure just covered under the standard 5/60 bumper to bumper or also the 10/100 powertrain?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Being part of the drivetrain, the wave plate is covered under the longer 5/100,000 drivetrain warranty. Unfortunately, the time limit is only 5 years and not 10.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is a particular model year impacted by the frequent failure or is more directly tied to the transmission model? I am wondering what risk I have with my 2009 Enclave with 53K miles.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
bourmb, based on the linked wave plate survey regarding which model years are suffering the failure, as well as hearsay, it seems that the 2008 model year Enclave is especially susceptible to wave plate failure. There has been speculation that the cause may be faulty manufacturing of wave plates that were installed in Enclaves built during the 2008 production model year.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=9150.0;viewResults

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wave plate broke on my 2008 Enclave about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I made it just over the 80k mark before it happened. Thank goodness it's covered under the powertrain warranty. It's frustrating because my water pump went out less than a month before that. It was covered too, but I'm tired of having my car live at the dealership. Hate that this seems to be a problem mostly with the 2008s.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
blittle75, :welcome: to the forum. I must admit that I feel your pain. My 2008 Enclave has suffered the following significant problems: power steering pump failure (2), steering bushing replacement, steering rack replacement, and water pump leak. It has also suffered the following minor problems: heated washer fluid recall, wiper linkage recall, and a number of unlucky wear and tear issues unrelated to the car's design or reliability.

My Enclave's powertrain warranty will expire toward the end of November due to the 5 year limit, though the car will have only about 67,500 miles on the odometer at that time. I feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb regarding the wave plate failure issue. It is likely a matter of when rather than if it will occur. It is becoming increasingly likely that mine will fail after the warranty expires as November approaches.Though I love my 2008 Enclave, I have some serious thinking to do when it comes time to replace it regarding which brands will get onto my list of candidates.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
blittle75, :welcome: to the forum. I must admit that I feel your pain. My 2008 Enclave has suffered the following significant problems: power steering pump failure (2), steering bushing replacement, steering rack replacement, and water pump leak. It has also suffered the following minor problems: heated washer fluid recall, wiper linkage recall, and a number of unlucky wear and tear issues unrelated to the car's design or reliability.

My Enclave's powertrain warranty will expire toward the end of November due to the 5 year limit, though the car will have only about 67,500 miles on the odometer at that time. I feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb regarding the wave plate failure issue. It is likely a matter of when rather than if it will occur. It is becoming increasingly likely that mine will fail after the warranty expires as November approaches.Though I love my 2008 Enclave, I have some serious thinking to do when it comes time to replace it regarding which brands will get onto my list of candidates.
Well, one of the 'human nature' issues is that when we see a new vehicle that's released, and it gets hyped in the TV media, and in magazines, and piques our interest; we forget it's a new model with new designs. That includes new problems, and whomever buys the first released sets, are basically the guinea consumers. I knew this, which is why I was originally shopping the 2010 Traverse since it utilized basic technology including the drivetrain that was basically one to three years old from other models, and the shell design was different (brand new).

Then, I got sidetracked, and made an incredible deal for myself on a single used 2008 Enclave, that had just come onto the lot. A fair amount of mileage at 44,600 in 2-1/2 years, but 90% was highway between her restaurants. I knew who owned it, and went to talk to her about it.

The whole thing is to get an established model with a great repair record. One that hasn't recently been redesigned. Honestly, if my wife hadn't forced me to get a new vehicle, I'd still be driving my 1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I loved that SUV. Never had any heavy repairs or breakdowns, the 4WD was excellent, I had load leveling suspension, removeable third row seating, CD changer, upgraded JBL sound system, moonroof, towing, huge cargo space, Goodyear Fortera's and/or Michelin LTX M+S, lighted running boards, etc. It was still running GREAT when I traded it.

But, had to get a newer vehicle in 2010, so she can get a new one in 2014 when our son starts to drive, then he gets the 2004 loaded Camry V6 XLE.

So, most of the time if you keep on the straight and narrow path with established vehicles, you don't get screwed. Not always. But most times.

. . Falcon

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That strategy is correct, Falcon. Unfortunately, I purchased my Enclave about 2 years ahead of my plan. A drunk driver totaled my 2003 Subaru Outback in November 2007, so I optomistically selected the first model year 2008 Enclave before I and it was ready for the marketplace. :(

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
That strategy is correct, Falcon. Unfortunately, I purchased my Enclave about 2 years ahead of my plan. A drunk driver totaled my 2003 Subaru Outback in November 2007, so I optomistically selected the first model year 2008 Enclave before I and it was ready for the marketplace. :(
That's right....I forgot you had an Outback before. (have you read my posts on a different thread about the fact that I might be considering a new Outback for my wife's Bonneville replacement in a couple years)?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Kids, I did read your post from the other thread. I must admit that a 201X would be on my future shopping list, too. The car excels at nothing, but is competent within its intended virtues. The brand is reliable, sure-footed, has function passenger/cargo capacity, reliable, dependable, bullet-proof, etc. Did I mention that Subarus are reliable? Their lack flair and sexiness pales in comparison to Toyota, and I can live with that. I would describe Subaru as the Volvo of the Japanese brands.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Kids, I did read your post from the other thread. I must admit that a 201X would be on my future shopping list, too. The car excels at nothing, but is competent within its intended virtues. The brand is reliable, sure-footed, has function passenger/cargo capacity, reliable, dependable, bullet-proof, etc. Did I mention that Subarus are reliable? Their lack flair and sexiness pales in comparison to Toyota, and I can live with that. I would describe Subaru as the Volvo of the Japanese brands.
This is so funny because I was just talking to my neighbor (who will never by a GM, and used to be a GM employee...very long story, I won't go into that). Anyway, he basically thinks Toyotas are where it's at, so I asked about Subaru and he said those too are very good, next to top in the Japanese brands. But then as I was talking to him, I read john070's comment about Subaru (on the other thread) and he has a very low opinion of them.....LOL. So, I guess at his point I will not listen to people's "opinion" unless they've actually owned them....which you have.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
kidsenclave said:
This is so funny because I was just talking to my neighbor (who will never by a GM, and used to be a GM employee...very long story, I won't go into that). Anyway, he basically thinks Toyotas are where it's at, so I asked about Subaru and he said those too are very good, next to top in the Japanese brands. But then as I was talking to him, I read john070's comment about Subaru (on the other thread) and he has a very low opinion of them.....LOL. So, I guess at his point I will not listen to people's "opinion" unless they've actually owned them....which you have.
My 2003 Subaru Outback must have been a latent lemon because it developed numerous trouble spots soon after the warranty expired. However, literally every other Outback owner that I've met has had essentially trouble free service. Also, my Subaru Tribeca seems to be doing well at over 81,000 miles. It is also a first model year of a new platform, but has had very few issues; far better than my first model year Enclave.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
dzs3fz said:
I wonder who has the most miles on their 2008 without the failure?
108,000+ here...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Word from my dealer was that in his experience the waveplate failure is a 50/50 chance . He has seen a lot of them with over 100 000 miles with original waveplates but the most common problem was the waveplate failure. He atually said thats the only big issue he has seen in these cars , of course he has seen other parts fail but they are usually not common

He also added that if a car is past the warranty period but still under the mileage , they will send a GOOD WILL request to GM to paid for the repair or part of the labour cost in a new transmission , same applies if the car is over the mileage but still within time , and most of the time GM will paid part of the bill ( anywhere from 100%, 50% and 25%) unless both mileage and year are over. Now how far they go i guess depends on how good of a customer you are , meaning you better spend some money there LOL .

At this point i guess im done with the waveplate, no worth my time worrying about it , best case scenario it never breaks and i m happy customer , worst case scenario it breaks and i have to pay 3500 or so for a new tranny . Im guessing i would probably be somewhere in the middle. But even if i m the worst case scenario , i still got a great deal on the car so i was still expecting to pay 3k to 5k of what i paid .

Thanks for the info falcon eddy , if I have this problem, you provide me with enough information to make a case and choose the best option. I still have 3 cars to if i ever have to deal with this so qt least i wont be taking the bus to work ;D

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
rick10 said:
Word from my dealer was that in his experience the waveplate failure is a 50/50 chance . He has seen a lot of them with over 100 000 miles with original waveplates but the most common problem was the waveplate failure. He atually said thats the only big issue he has seen in these cars , of course he has seen other parts fail but they are usually not common

He also added that if a car is past the warranty period but still under the mileage , they will send a GOOD WILL request to GM to paid for the repair or part of the labour cost in a new transmission , same applies if the car is over the mileage but still within time , and most of the time GM will paid part of the bill ( anywhere from 100%, 50% and 25%) unless both mileage and year are over. Now how far they go i guess depends on how good of a customer you are , meaning you better spend some money there LOL .

At this point i guess im done with the waveplate, no worth my time worrying about it , best case scenario it never breaks and i m happy customer , worst case scenario it breaks and i have to pay 3500 or so for a new tranny . Im guessing i would probably be somewhere in the middle. But even if i m the worst case scenario , i still got a great deal on the car so i was still expecting to pay 3k to 5k of what i paid .

Thanks for the info falcon eddy , if I have this problem, you provide me with enough information to make a case and choose the best option. I still have 3 cars to if i ever have to deal with this so qt least i wont be taking the bus to work ;D
If this is generally what GM has been doing, I feel a bit better about the situation. I am still not happy, mind you, but a bit more comfortable with the scenario.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So far, 22 of the 25 (88%) wave failures reported in this poll have occurred before 100,000 miles. Conversely, only 3 of the 25 (12%) failures occurred passed the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty expiration. Though this is not a definitive result due to the small sample size and inherent polling flaws of a forum environment, it is pointing to the likelihood that most vulnerable lambdas will fail prior to the warranty mileage limit. :thumb:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts