EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being totally ignorant about GM products before we bought an Enclave, I had no idea what a "Lambda" is. So I went over to Wikipedia to take a look (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Lambda_platform). Now I know it's a platform for cars.

But what's so special about it? Why is it better than the previous platforms (Theta?). Why should I care that I have a Lambda?

Thanks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, the only things I can think of are how it fits into the market and into GM's line-up. It compares favorably to other similar vehicles capable of 7-8 adult passengers and moderate towing capabilities with less weight and a more efficient drivetrain.

Significant other features are:

1. Transverse DOHC VVT V6 that takes regular unleaded
2. 6 speed automatic transmission
3. AWD capable
4. Excellent ride/handling from car like components in steering and suspension
5. Less weight for its size due to unibody type construction - not body on frame like the heavier light trucks (aka Suburban/Tahoe, Yukon etc.)

It is definitely designed to "not be a minivan" so it has a bit less room but a bit more style. It has upmarket features and up to date automotive tech, being of newer design. The Enclave seems like the first real stab at a high end design by GM for a practical people mover and has become the hottest car for sale in the US.

TM

·
Registered
103 Posts
jbradfor said:
But what's so special about it? Why is it better than the previous platforms (Theta?). Why should I care that I have a Lambda?
GM uses several different platforms for its various vehicles. Different platforms are used depending on several factors
including size of vehicle, body on frame vs unibody, etc. In regards to theta vs Lambda, the biggest difference
between the two is size. Theta is a 5 passenger platform (Torrent, Equinox, the older Vue) whereas the Lambda is
a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Lambda is also one of the few things GM has done right in the last few years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tin Man said:
It is definitely designed to "not be a minivan" so it has a bit less room but a bit more style.
Platforms do not have style; they define basic dimensions, support drive trains, and allocate space.

The Lambda platform itself could easily accommodate a minivan design, but the "smart slide" second row eliminates the need for sliding rear doors, and Lutz decided that the minivan is a dying breed.

But if he's wrong, and enough "sensible" people persist in buying minivans, GM could respond without having to design a new platform. Install those sliding doors, flip the last row backward into the well beneath the rear storage tray, install two or three (removable?) buckets in the second row, and Voila! A new minivan to compete with Odyssey. Not for Buick, of course. For Saturn, or maybe Chevy.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Cheeky response. True, a minivan can be created from this platform and almost was for Chevy at the start of development. But we are talking about what the platform has become now, which is what the question was about.

Sort of like saying that GM can realize that station wagons and large FWD sedans are the thing and make the Lambda platform into a 57 Chevy. Or make it into a full fledged SUV off road vehicle with locking differentials and flexible Jeep like suspensions for rock climbing.

Don't forget, crossovers like the Lexus RX are just Camry platforms.

TM

·
Registered
758 Posts
:thumb: Sounds like GM is serious about tech and innovation. Where it should have been 30 years ago. Roger Smith be damned!

TM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts