EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's your fav? Any suggestions for Red Jewel that you think really stands out? I've got a few in the collection to try. Just did the winter wax with Collinite 845. Also have some Nattys Blue, Clearkote Carnuba Moose Wax, Poorboys EX-P, Danase Sealant, and a couple mystery waxes.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Wow! I must be so far out of the loop that I've never heard of any of these waxes. ::) There has been a lot of chatter on this forum about the line of Zaino car care products due to various claims and photos posted demonstrating exceptional results. Here are a few related thread links:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3710.0

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6298.0

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2830.0

Personally, I have no recent experience with car wax products. I just take my Enclave through the automatic car wash (yes, I know this is blasphemy) every couple of months and I am happy with the results.

I hope that you find the links helpful.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, these were from my detailing kick I was on a few years ago after I bought my last car (partly because it's black). I've got enough junk that should last me the rest of my life if it doesn't go bad. Especially polish.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I myself use Mothers Synwax on my cars, and have had enjoyed excellent results. After fighting with traditional waxes my whole life, I'll never use one again; the synthetics are essentially wipe-on/wipe-off and, IMHO, protect every bit as well as carnauba.

Many in the know strongly believe that carnauba creates a warmer, deeper finish.....and is therefore the better choice for dark colors. Those same people feel synthetics provide a superior surface shine (with less depth), making them the better choice for light colors. I feel this argument/comparison is so subjective that it isn't worth making. I generally recommend that people simply use what they want to use and not worry about the details.

Perhaps as important....if not more so......than the brand of wax/finish that one uses is making certain the finish is in the best possible shape to take advantage of the wax job. That means use of finish cleaners where necessary.....particularly for cars parked outside (and those not waxed at least psuedo-regularly).....and clay bar to get rid of the crap that sticks to the surface.

FWIW, we just purchased from an elderly couple.....the original owners.....a dark green 1999 Buick LeSabre for our teens to drive. I think the vehicle was generally garaged and is low miles (under 59K), so it's largely in good shape. OTOH, the finish has an accumulated 12 years worth of rub marks and related surface damage, and clearly hadn't been waxed for a long time (if ever).

But, after an application of Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner.....a clay bar workout.....and a single application of Synwax.....it's borderline shocking how good the vehicle looks (though admittedly more so from a distance than up close).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to agree with you about the subtle differences in wax. I do feel the "boutique" stuff has performed better than the cheap stuff I've used off the shelf of a store, but I'm not about to spend $50 on wax either. If you go over to detailing sites like Autopia you get everyone saying how this wax looks sooo much better than everything else. I think there are some subtle differences in some waxes, especially depending on the color of the car, but in the end it's 90% preparation (polishing ,etc.) to me. I'll put my $15 bottle of Collinite up against any other wax in terms of look. And it will last six months compared to six weeks for traditional wax.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any pure carnauba wax with no abrasives.

As long as the clearcoat remains in good shape, the paint will look great. Just need something to help the clearcoat last. Anything containing abrasives will eventually wear down the clearcoat. Pure carnauba wax used annually will keep paint looking great for twenty years.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't worry about abrasives. An automatic carwash is going to be more harsh on the clear coat than wax will. Some people love to joke with others that constant washing/waxing will rub off the paint. Well I had a guy tell me several years ago that he actually had his paint get thin in spots because of automatic car washes.

I don't know how many car washes it would take to rub off wax, but it should be pretty apparent as the water will no longer tightly bead on the paint.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not use automatic car washes, so I cannot give a definitive answer. Probably depends on the detergents used and the concentration. I would not think that there would be a significant difference in how the different waxes respond to car washes, but I do not know for sure.

If one does not believe abrasives matter, than use polish on your car a few times. You can polish the paint, much less the clearcoat, right off the car. Some waxes contain the same abrasives found in polish - just in a lower concentration. And they absolutely will remove clearcoat.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
here is another I have used over the years..anyone from NJ who was on the car show circuit will know this product
http://www.ultrafinishproducts.com/index.html
I also like Klasse, Griots, Shining Monkey, P21s, Pinnacle...after all these years of building and showing cars I can say I sure have tried a lot....

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree Tex. People with paint gauges have done tests with polish, and if you use something like an orbital you will remove very little clear. You can polish 20 times and not be in danger of removing too much clear. So hand waxing with an abrasive wax isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Grimm said:
I disagree Tex. People with paint gauges have done tests with polish, and if you use something like an orbital you will remove very little clear. You can polish 20 times and not be in danger of removing too much clear. So hand waxing with an abrasive wax isn't going to hurt anything.
agreed

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
sciond said:
+2......worrying about the minuscule amount of abrasives in basic waxes/synthetics is much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Feel free to disagree. I have seen others use abrasive containing wax and ending up with damaged clearcoat. Saw it myself some years ago on my own car, and have gone exclusively with non-abrasive wax since.

I do know that an annual pure carnauba waxing will keep a paint job looking factory fresh for many, many years. The cost is negligible. So I really do not have any motivation to do otherwise.

If someone has a reason for using abrasive containing waxes (e.g., they do not want to clean their car thoroughly before waxing), then they can choose the path they feel best.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
once a year clay and wax has never hurt anybody.....no using an orbital buffer and not having a clue.........

·
Registered
592 Posts
^^THat looks great! Zaino man myself......

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was under the impression that carnuba wax although very deep looking and a great product, only lasts about 6-8 weeks and requires rewaxing every month to maintain the protection. Is this not the case. Also I thought that if water was not beading up on the paint and starting to pool or look flat that you had lost the protection of the wax. I have had good experience with the Meguire's NXT 2.0 product.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Sadly, my Enclave looked better than it has in a couple of months after a torrential downpour yesterday. It practically looked as if it had been run through the cash wash. :-[

1 - 20 of 88 Posts