EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we fill up with gas car has trouble starting and when starts rough idle and when give gas clears up only does it when you add gas to it

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
99% chance it's the purge valve if it's running fine other than trouble starting right after filling up with gas. Good news, it's cheap and takes about 5 minutes to replace.

·
Registered
2014 Buick Enclave
8 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 2014 Enclave. Took it to dealer and it was the Purge Valve. Service Tech said this issue is common on the Enclave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
99% chance it's the purge valve if it's running fine other than trouble starting right after filling up with gas. Good news, it's cheap and takes about 5 minutes to replace.

I have a 2018 Enclave that's doing a similar thing. When the engine is warm and I fill up with gas (and only then) it will start but when I put it in gear the whole car dies. Not just engine but all the electronics like radio and air go off....everything. Starts back up but then shudders and dies again maybe 2-3 times before it starts running right again. Did it as I pulled out of the station onto a busy street the other day and scared me to death as I sat there in traffic starting it up again. Otherwise the car runs great. Just does it when I fill up with gas. The dummy at the dealer said "bring it in and leave it for 2-3 days and we'll see if we can figure it out". Now I see on the Forum that it's "common" on Enclaves! Suppose it's that purge valve? Car has 57.000 miles on it so of course it's out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
The 2018 is basically a completely different car from the first gen so any of the "common" first gen things don't really apply. Could be a purge valve issue but no idea if it's even in the remotely same area on the 2nd gens. Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2018 is basically a completely different car from the first gen so any of the "common" first gen things don't really apply. Could be a purge valve issue but no idea if it's even in the remotely same area on the 2nd gens. Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My new purge valve is supposed to arrive today from Rockauto. Let you know if it fixes the problem on my 2018. Sure hope so. I just LOVE my Enclave. Wore out an Acadia first, then had a Traverse. Think I'm sold on this platform?
It's my "traveling office". Plenty of room to carry my samples, great gas mileage and looks FINE in black. Can't afford to leave it at a dealership for 3-4 days because I use it to make a living.
Think I'll retire before Biden's electric cars take over. By the by, I bought an Enclave this time because GMC cut 6" of storage length out of the back end and I couldn't put my golf clubs in there anymore. Think the new Traverse is the same 6" shorter to look at it. They'll probably do the same to the Enclave soon. Very sad. Hey, General Motors, are you listening?
Only have 57,000 miles on the Enclave (can you believe I'm still driving safely on the original set of Goodyear tires!) and drove the others to about 180,000. Probably going to retire in about a year so they can keep their shorter, electric versions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got the valve. In its wisdom, Buick decided to move the valve on the 2018 to up by the firewall behind the throttle body. Couldn't even see it. Decided it was above my pay grade to fix so took to my regular guy who fixes my cars for me. He used MY part, took 30 minutes, only charged me $80 and I was back on the road! First stop....fill up with gas. No more problems! Fixed! Thanks for the heads up on Rockauto. Part cost $13, with tax and frt $19.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
Interesting that the problem is still there but the symptoms are a little different. Of course GM had to make the part more difficult to reach while not fixing the issue. Thanks for updating us though.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
its just a solenoid that stops working or gets stuck etc.
It fails in the wrong state. and causes the hard starts.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
Right, but leave it to GM to mess it up, and fail to fix it a generation later. I’ve been active on Ford, Mazda, VW and Audi forums. None of them have threads with a common need to replace the purge valve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts