EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on town hall at Edmunds... saying that the White Diamond was going to be discontinued and here's the reason..

Regarding the White Diamond Tricoat.........it is true that the production of this color is ending.

I called around and investigated and found out why. The second layer of the tricoat, contains what seems to be metallic. However, if it were metallic, they'd continue making it. They wanted a much more elegant reflectant than a standard metallic, so they found a harvesting fish in the Pacific ocean that they use the scales from. I know this sounds crazy but it's true. They take the scales, dry them out and pulverize them and put them into the paint as the reflectant.
Supposedly the availability of this fish is very limited and GM has already gone through it's allotment of the fish (and scales) so the production of this paint is no longer continued. [/color]
I found this to be fairly preposturous..I wanted to wait for the 2009's and order WDT. Anyone heard anything about this?

(I really appreciate this forum..I have learned so much!)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
This has been brought up and debated before as to its validity. The WDT did appear to be discontinued for a while to be replaced by something similar although the name escapes me for now, some white platinum something or other. This was on the Buick site for a month or so and then the WDT showed back up and has been there since. SO, I think what you found was old info...Now for the scales, that always sounded a bit fishy to me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's an old, old story...and basically, White Diamond has yet to go away. It was to be replaced mid-year by the Platinum Ice Tri-Coat (a whiter pearl white, with a silver base instead of the gold) but due to popular demand, they decided just to keep the White Diamond.

Now there's no firm evidence of what 2009 will bring, but colors will be dropped and added to, as usual. A pearl white will still be offered for sure, but it's up in the air whether they continue to stick with the White Diamond or finally switch over to the Platinum Ice Tri-Coat pearl white as already intended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate you both clearing this up for me. It may be an old story but for those just tuning in to the Enclave it's new! I just love the color and would hate to see it go away. It will take a great deal of discipline to wait for the 2009's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got back from Dealer to have them build me a new Enclave in White Diamond. On the GM World printout they gave me with the costs (both MSRP and Invoice) the White Diamond is still listed as well as the new Platinum Ice Tri-Coat. Both same cost. Has anyone seen the new color? Not sure if it will change my mind on the WDT but like to see it.

Also on the list of options is a FTC Chrome Package that is not on the website. Anyone know what that is? It's $2,500 so it must be something big.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It shouldn't show Platinum Ice anymore, as that was supposed to be the new pearl white but was put on hold so they could continue the White Diamond--the latter that was then fixed again on the Buick and general GM websites to be the only one. Unless it's just a weird typo, you can't actually get Platinum Ice on a 2008.

As for the chrome package, it's a regional option that's only available in certain states (Kelly Blue Book says only in "California, Florida, Texas & Select Adjacent Areas"), including the chrome 19" wheels and the dual sunroofs. As a package, it gives a discount compared to if you selected the chrome wheels and sunroofs separately. Apparently, for you, your area in Colorado must be considered one of the "adjacent areas".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on the costs of the wheels and the sun roofs the discount is only 300 bucks, but then again who am I to turn down 300 bucks. That is if I can really get it. The salesman did say that GM sometimes lists things that they can't get on these screens.

As for the color, I like to WDT the best so far. I did see a post where they had a link to a Canadian Enclave site that showed the Platinum Ice. It was not that great of a picture but looked interesting. Not sure if it is enough to wait for a 2009.

·
Registered
413 Posts
coopdog said:
Based on the costs of the wheels and the sun roofs the discount is only 300 bucks, but then again who am I to turn down 300 bucks. That is if I can really get it. The salesman did say that GM sometimes lists things that they can't get on these screens.

As for the color, I like to WDT the best so far. I did see a post where they had a link to a Canadian Enclave site that showed the Platinum Ice. It was not that great of a picture but looked interesting. Not sure if it is enough to wait for a 2009.

The FTC (Florida, Texas & California) chrome package is now $2,495 with a $1,000 discount which means you pay $1,495 for the 19 inch chrome wheels and sun roof package. This equates to paying $195 for the wheels. When we order ours last October it was $2,195 with a $1,000 discount. The bottom line is I got the sun roof package for $1,195 (ordered separately it's 1,300) and the wheels free.

I wish they would discontinue the WDT; I would have one of a limited number made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts