EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back by popular demand!

Platinum Ice Tri-Coat (94U) paint production scheduled to begin in January 2008 has been canceled and White Diamond Tri-coat will continue in its place. If you order white diamond tri-coat your dealer will not be able to put in your order until January 2008. All December 2007 orders of white diamond tri-coat have been filled.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Back by popular demand, or Platinum Ice was having issues so they dropped it??? Seems kind of strange to the natural skeptic in me. Either way, I have my Enclave so I do not care a great deal.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What issues could you have with paint? Paint spray's the same - just a differnt tint.

People liked white diamond better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
IF this is true, I will be VERY HAPPY :D I thought I would buy a cocoa metallic based on the internet pics, but after seeing a WDT in person, I was blown away. The cocoa metallic is nice (have seen in person) but for me, the WDT is at another level. I have not seen a carbon black yet, but I am 99% sure I will be getting a WDT. I was crossing my fingers that the PIT was going to be close to the WDT. GREAT news. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Don Willems said:
What issues could you have with paint? Paint spray's the same - just a differnt tint.

People liked white diamond better.
It just seems odd to wait until you are near production to make the call to resurrect a color that is being discontinued. Seems like poor product planning if that is the case.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I haven't seen this update in any online ordering catalog from GM yet, but it sounds like an interesting move.

Given how weird GM is with colors--especially in regard to dropping one random shade after a few months, to pick up another different one for a few months--this kind of a move wouldn't be too out of the ordinary.

Any insight, as others have asked, as to why? Platinum Ice issues? Or just still too much of an outcry for the constant White Diamond demand?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
That sucks! That means I won't have a limited-edition color any more. ;D It's not like it would make it worth any more money when I'm ready to get rid of it in 14 or 15 years.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don Willems said:
What issues could you have with paint? Paint spray's the same - just a different tint....
So, no fish scale shortage? ;D
No Cadillac demanding WDT be THEIR signature color only? ;D
C'mon Don! Give us the scoop!
Why was the WDT being discontinued in the first place? I'm sure Buick took note of the CA dealers who were getting $5,000 above MSRP for WDT a few weeks ago and realized the popularity! But why was the change instigated in the first place?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i dont think anybody has seen the PIT yet so how would they know if they liked WDT better? im not against keeping the White diamond just wondering why they are

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here I sweated it wondering if there was going to be a problem getting mine. (got in in Nov.) Oh well, I hate to be selfish with such a pretty color. But those poor fish.

·
Registered
509 Posts
*Enclave* said:
So, no fish scale shortage? ;D
No Cadillac demanding WDT be THEIR signature color only? ;D
C'mon Don! Give us the scoop!
Why was the WDT being discontinued in the first place? I'm sure Buick took note of the CA dealers who were getting $5,000 above MSRP for WDT a few weeks ago and realized the popularity! But why was the change instigated in the first place?
I really think it was just because of the new replacement--Platinum Ice.

Regardless of the demand, or how nice it was, GM very often likes to just change colors regardless--I'm thinking of the Bermuda Blue, for instance, on their full-size SUV's and such. In this case, Platinum Ice was just a new formulation they had in the works all along, and being a pearl white, they certainly weren't going to offer 2 pearl whites at the same time.

As was said by one of the people in charge in an article I read some time ago, the "color people" look at industry trends--the fashion world especially--and plan YEARS out in advance for entire vehicle lines. So, at this point, the color pallet for the '09, '10, etc. Enclave and other Lambdas is just one check mark from being set in stone.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I couldn’t get back sooner.

The white diamond tri coat was just too popular.

As for Buick Marketing and why they changed at the last minute - no idea. But I can tell for sure from the plant floor, it was NOT a quality issue.

I have seen test panels of both colors and I do like the white diamond better.

Do you know why they call it a tri-coat and the red jewel a tint-coat?
::)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don Willems said:
Do you know why they call it a tri-coat and the red jewel a tint-coat?
::)
Don, this was my reply to the same question back on August 2oth but it was never critiqued.

Tri-Coat vs Tint-coat?

Just a guess here. Is Tri-coat two base paint color coats with a clear top coat, and Tint-coat one color base with a tinted or colored top coat?

Also, is the reason why White Diamond, and I'm assuming all Tri-coat colors, will ALWAYS be limited due to the fact that the vehicle needs to loop around and go through the base coat paint station one extra time? Would too many Tri-coat orders in the paint shop starve the rest of the assembly plant for vehicles to assemble?

How did I do guessing today?

Well? What is the real story from one that knows?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good guess, your 50% right.

I should save this because I do post this a lot.

We start with double-walled galvanized steel car bodies. We chemical “temper” or prep it in spray booths to receive what we call ELPO. The car is then completely immersed in this ELPO bath tank so every conceivable section (inside and out) is coated. Now hears the cool part – this system is electrically charged so the metal partials in the ELPO bath plate to the car – the bath is negative and the car is positive (or visa-versa, I can’t remember). After that it is backed in an oven to harden the ELPO.

The body then goes to a color specific primer booth and gets robotically painted with a color specific primer. It’s POWDER primer, no solvents. Again, it is backed in an oven to harden.

Then it goes to a basecoat booth and gets robotically painted with whatever basecoat color you order. It’s WATERBORN basecoat, no solvents. Again, it is backed in an oven to harden.

OK – hears the tri-coat part. The tri-coat paint gets another “interference coat” with metal partials in it to reflect the light a certain way. This is done in line and the body DO NOT go through a second time. Again, it is backed in an oven to harden.

Then it goes to a clear coat booth and gets robotically painted with clear coat. Again, it is backed in an oven to harden.

Now a tint coat doesn’t have the interference coat – instead the clear coat is tinted.

All of our air emissions go through a complex incinerator and filter system to remove VOC’s or volatile organic compounds, the nastiness you don’t want getting into the environment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don Willems said:

OK – hears the tri-coat part. The tri-coat paint gets another “interference coat” with metal partials in it to reflect the light a certain way. This is done in line and the body DO NOT go through a second time. Again, it is backed in an oven to harden.

Don,

Then why is the White Diamond, or any color tri-coat color I assume, limited if it is painted 'in line'? Is it the extra oven time/space required that is in short supply, thus limiting the number of vehicles that can be painted in this manner? Or is the tri-coat limited for some other reason?

Why are so few White Diamond Enclave production allocation slots available?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your unique insight.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, Don, that process is amazing. Very, very complex process in arriving at the final "look". I knew I liked the WDT we have on the enclave. My '65 Riviera also has it, but obviously wasn't the factory variety.

Now you'll really have everybody wanting that color and I'm very glad we have it. Thanks for the explanaton and I need to save this somehow for reference.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mapper said:
Don,

Then why is the White Diamond, or any color tri-coat color I assume, limited if it is painted 'in line'? Is it the extra oven time/space required that is in short supply, thus limiting the number of vehicles that can be painted in this manner? Or is the tri-coat limited for some other reason?

Why are so few White Diamond Enclave production allocation slots available?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your unique insight.
It's in such high demand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts