EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 2015 White Diamond Enclave Premium. As i detail the buick that i have owned for less than a month, I am wiping down the inside of doors and door jams. I realize that the interior of the doors and jams are white, not diamond white. I guess i should not be surprised because of the price of that paint but i was at first.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
That, is very odd. Anyone else here have a white diamond tricoat that can see if their's has the same plain white paint in the door jambs vs. the outer color?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
cfedor said:
That, is very odd. Anyone else here have a white diamond tricoat that can see if their's has the same plain white paint in the door jambs vs. the outer color?
Long story short, that's how GM does it. Where you don't see it, there is no top coat, only the base coat. CHEEEEEP.

I noted the same thing almost 5 years ago--it's a sign of cost cutting. My Nissan is a tri-coat as well, Nissan didn't do that. It's how one paints a taxicab--where you don't see it, corners are cut since taxicabs are normally repaired many times during their lifespan (they run 24/7/365 except for oil changes etc.).

P.S. if you live in the rust belt, take a peek under your rear bumper, you may be a bit surprised on how much rust develops, it's very apparent with colors such as white.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 14 e Premium has the white tricoat and the hidden areas only have 2 coats. Saves paint and labor.
I call mine "tricolor" as the bumpers are a slightly different shade than the body, don't have any glitter and the wheel opening trim is slightly different than the body and bumpers. I have noticed this on other makes both domestic and foreign as well. I know the flexible panels are painted with a special flexible paint and may even be painted at a supplier which would explain the difficulty in obtaining a perfect match.

Dave :shrug:

·
Registered
848 Posts
dporter said:
I call mine "tricolor" as the bumpers are a slightly different shade than the body, don't have any glitter and the wheel opening trim is slightly different than the body and bumpers. I have noticed this on other makes both domestic and foreign as well. I know the flexible panels are painted with a special flexible paint and may even be painted at a supplier which would explain the difficulty in obtaining a perfect match.

Dave :shrug:
That's it exactly. My white diamond LaCrosse is the same. The bumper is noticeably different than the fenders in good sunlight. It's the difference in the paint as well as the material being painted.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Grimm said:
That's it exactly. My white diamond LaCrosse is the same. The bumper is noticeably different than the fenders in good sunlight. It's the difference in the paint as well as the material being painted.
The appearance of the paint on my Audi's bumpers is the same as the rest of the car. It can be done.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Grimm said:
As mentioned, ours is the same. It likely has to do with the mfg. process. I used to love Hyundai Sonatas (I go through phases) and would grab them when renting for business when I saw them on the lot. I used to remark how high the fit/finish level was on them (although some of the components were cheaped-out). Never saw that on a Hyundai. If I had to guess, the plastic is prepared/painted off the vehicle, then installed. Could be wrong, but the difference is not atypical. The fact that unseen areas lack the tri-coat (tint) is a clue, it's like sweeping dirt under a carpet since you don't see it... :confused:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Actually you can probably disregard mine as an example. I forgot that when I looked at the car, there was a noticeable glob of clear coat on the back of the bumper in the wheel well. I wouldn't be surprised it was repainted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts