EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I read that some of you have that and I went into Verizon yesterday to ask about rates and getting a new plan that would allow me to have a physical phone and also the use of minutes toward the car. The salesman said they can't do that only Onstar can set it up. I explained I don't have a Verizon account yet but he insisted it can only be set up through Onstar. Is this correct? It doesn't make sense to me at all since I don't have any sort of account with Verizon yet. Also, what are your rates of service? I have Nextel/Sprint service with no contract and 1000 anytime minutes with unlimited nights/weekends for $55. I'm not sure if it's worth switching or not.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link. Do you have the service? I read the frequently asked questions and the roaming charges are a serious concern for me. The prices of the plans really may not benefit me but I am going to look into it further. I do want to know everyones likes and dislikes with the service if they have it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe one drawback to adding your OnStar number to a Verizon shared plan is that you can no longer use the Virtual Advisor feature for OnStar.  I think the new Mapquest/Onstar feature that is coming out this year uses the virtual advisor in some way, so you may not be able to use that feature if you switch your 'car number' to Verizon. 

For me it's just a matter of economics.  I buy the minutes from OnStar because I really don't use that many.  To add my Outlook phone to my Verizon plan would cost me $9.99 month plus taxes/fees (I already have a family plan with two lines for $70 for 700 minutes).  To buy minutes from OnStar is around $40 for 100 minutes.  100 minutes lasts me much longer than four months so I come out ahead. 

I set up speed dials on my cell phone to forward my calls to the Outlook.  So I just have to push and hold one button to start/end the forwarding of my calls to the car.  I am getting double charged minutes, but it doesn't really matter because I never come close to using up my Verizon minutes anyway.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply Hockeymom and welcome to the forum. The more I run the numbers the more it makes sense to stay with Nextel and just pay onstar. I also like being contract free.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
HockeyMom said:
I believe one drawback to adding your OnStar number to a Verizon shared plan is that you can no longer use the Virtual Advisor feature for OnStar. I think the new Mapquest/Onstar feature that is coming out this year uses the virtual advisor in some way, so you may not be able to use that feature if you switch your 'car number' to Verizon.

For me it's just a matter of economics. I buy the minutes from OnStar because I really don't use that many. To add my Outlook phone to my Verizon plan would cost me $9.99 month plus taxes/fees (I already have a family plan with two lines for $70 for 700 minutes). To buy minutes from OnStar is around $40 for 100 minutes. 100 minutes lasts me much longer than four months so I come out ahead.

I set up speed dials on my cell phone to forward my calls to the Outlook. So I just have to push and hold one button to start/end the forwarding of my calls to the car. I am getting double charged minutes, but it doesn't really matter because I never come close to using up my Verizon minutes anyway.

A :welcome: to the Enclave forum from me also! Good insights. I do similar and love having the hands free system in Enclave. I buy about 100 minutes a shot and they last me 6 mos, (from On Star). Do not use the cell that much when I'm in Enclave. Sometimes, after hours, I don't even forward if the Mrs is with me. Just have to remember to un-forward the cell calls later ;)

In our area the Onstar phone is very powerful and we like Virtual advisor. Didn't know that I would lose it if I went to Verizon plan? Great tip :thumb:

Soon, Feb 18th, the FCC ordered all analog phone systems deactivated. Our Enclave like most cell/auto phones since '05 are already digitally based. But we may see a dead spot in former good coverage areas as digital does NOT travel as far as analog signals. Be aware after this date/development.. (some providers may turn off as late as July, with an exception granted from FCC)

Did you know...........dialing 112 from a cell phone works like 911, but routes to nearest authority, when in sparse and unevenly covered jurisdictions. Keep in mind :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
one thing I don't think was covered. When I call family members from 'Brown Bess" with OnStar/Verizon or vice versa we are not charged minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the family plan with my cell and the phone in the Enclave. When in the car I forward the cell calls to the car phone. I really like it. So much easier than trying to answer the cell.
There are 700 minutes in the plan per month and I was told that family and weekend stuff applied to both phones.
I have not gotten my first Verizon bill yet, but I am not expecting any surprises.
When I call through the On-Star phone, I still have all the features of On-Star, name tags and all. The other On-Star button still gives me a rep for questions, turn by turn directions, and assistance. I don't think anything has been deleated or changed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the only thing you lose is Virtual Advisor, which I don't really use anyway. See this page:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/safe_sound.jsp

Specifically this footnote:

5Calls to Virtual Advisor are charged in the same manner and at the same rate as calls using OnStar Hands-Free Calling. Note: The America's Choice® Plan With OnStar® is not compatible with Virtual Advisor except on new, model-year 2005 and 2006 Cadillac vehicles. OnStar Hands-Free Calling–enabled vehicle, existing OnStar service contract, and prepaid calling minutes required. Available in most markets. OnStar voice recognition system may not work with some voices. Traffic service available in most major markets.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What IS virtual advisor? I can't really see that it is very important after reading the description. Does anyone use it/like it?

Richard

·
Registered
159 Posts
Isn't virtual advisor when you can call and ask for directions to the nearest Harley dealership, or the nearest golf course, or nearest mexican resturant?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, that's the 'live' advisor. Virtual advisor is:

Virtual Advisor* can help you make the most of your time on the road. Using OnStar Hands-Free Calling† minutes you can connect with Virtual Advisor to hear:
Location-based weather reports
Location-based traffic reports
Stock quotes
It's easy to set your preferences for Virtual Advisor. Note that Virtual Advisor settings can be managed through MyOnStar on the OnStar Web site, or in your vehicle by pushing the white-dot or phone button and saying "Virtual Advisor," then following the voice prompts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
But I think the really good part of Virtual Advisor is coming. Mapquest and Onstar are teaming up:

OnStar has added a new enhancement to their Turn-by-Turn Navigation service. Already, the simplest and smartest Navigation system, now you can send Mapquest destinations directly to your OnStar equipped vehicle. It makes getting to your destination simple and safe.[/color]

See more here:

http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=onstar_learnmore

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good info. I use Virtual Adviser whenever traveling near NY City. Traffic reports have saved me many times, in the nick of time, when roads were closed due to accidents.

As for incompatability with Verizon...........could someone who has Verizon linked to their Enclave, push the little white button and say "Virtual Adviser", just to see if it still works? I'll pay you for the minute of air time! (take a check? ;) )

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tried the button for you and said "Virtual Advisor"
Response: "Your system is not set up for this service."
There you go.

·
Registered
410 Posts
HockeyMom said:
But I think the really good part of Virtual Advisor is coming. Mapquest and Onstar are teaming up:

OnStar has added a new enhancement to their Turn-by-Turn Navigation service. Already, the simplest and smartest Navigation system, now you can send Mapquest destinations directly to your OnStar equipped vehicle. It makes getting to your destination simple and safe.[/color]

See more here:

http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=onstar_learnmore
Interesting.

So that d/l into the turn-by-turn nav, not into the built-in nav (if so equipped), right?

I was looking at the video, and it seems that the OnStar turn-by-turn nav says the street names; is that correct? If so, this really pisses me off. We paid $$ for the built-in nav system, which doesn't say the street names, but the "old-style" OnStar nav does? Is this built-in nav system a step backwards or what?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mons' Clave said:
There you go.
Thank you for your timely completion of this important research project ;D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I ordered the NAV system (ent3). The night before I picked up the car, I was at the autoshow and Onstar was demo-ing the capabilies of Onstar using an Enclave. When I told the Onstar rep I was picking up my Enclave the next day, the first thing she said was, " I hope you didn't order the NAV system?" Too Late. Since then I have only used Onstar and through the earlier post, just learned that the NAV system doesn't use street names. Oh Well.

Press

·
Registered
389 Posts
One problem with OnStar: TWICE I have called in for directions, and they couldn't send them to me because they were doing system maintenance. Both times were well after midnight, but it made me glad I had the navigation system.

One time when I called in to find the nearest family restaurant, they kind of found one. Then the system kept losing the cell towers, which made it think I was off the correct road. Then it found me and started the turn-by-turn directions ... switching back and forth about every five to ten seconds. Very annoying, and very un-useful.

I'd stick with the Nav.

G

·
Mons' Clave said:
There you go.
This was addressed back in June 2007 on acadiaforum by Boltbacker, who works for OnStar. Here's his post...

"When you do the switch to America's Choice, you do lose your prepaid minutes in the vehicle, and yes you lose Vitrual Advisor. The reason why is on the prepaid plan it uses something like a business line phone number to contact Vitual Advisor which is an OnStar program. When you migrate to the Verizon public cell number it cannot call into the Virtual Advisor line. You still can use everything else, this is all that changes."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts