EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To gas or not to gas that is the question............ lol ;D

Ok we all know the stories of for the most part we get ok gas not great gas mileage on the Enclaves. As we all know its states 16mpg/22 highway.

I wish this was true and at the same time I don't.

Here is what I get
Local streets on the average 12 to 14 mpg (If I am lucky and seldom am I. I might squeeze out the 16)

Here is the kicker which makes no sense and I hope someone can explain to me.
On the highway and took the same trip twice from the exact point of gas as far as I know
(Gas level alert came on - low level gas)

1st trip - Put ten dollars of gas in and went 70 miles - till I needed gas again where the low level warning came on (Thats freeeeking great) But it gets better
2nd trip - Put 5 dollars of gas in and made it about roughly about 65 to 68 miles than the low level warning came on

Now between both trips gas in my neighborhood was on average $3.70 to $3.80 a gallon

So you do the math, the first time I got great gas mileage, the second time I got unexplainable great gas mileage.

I just dont get how either was possible???

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Id say its 2 things...
The MPG you were getting and the fuel level sender sensitivity that moved enough to detect the fuel level.

(did you use 2 different stations on each trip?)

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you dont like replacing the fuel pump keep the tank at least at 1/2. The fuel pump is lubed and cooled by fuel and running it dry will kill it sooner.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you guys missed my point.

I just find it odd how I am able to get such great gas mileage on the highway. And it seems I get a bit more than the norm. Again for instance on 2.75 gallons I made it 70 miles and on 1.5 gallons I made it estimate of 65 miles

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
the 1.5 to 65 miles... I wonder about how much fuel was really used/
but the 70 gallons for 2.5 gals... thats normal for me. I can definitely see you do that.

My best MPG--- with 2.5 gal id have traveled 77.7 miles. (31.3 MPG)

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you didnt fill tank and drive a couple hundred miles and refill and devide miles by fuel used your not doing it correctly. If you do not reset the average fuel economy after every fill up your also doing that wrong. You must reset fuel mileage calculater after each fill up. Anything other than the ways i described its a crapshoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have tested the mileage on my '08 Enclave mutliple times. I have the AWD which impacts it. In the city I get an average of 17mpg. On the interstate if I keep it around 70-72mph I get around 19-20mpg. If I bump it up to 75-78 mph I get about 22mpg. It makes no sense to us but it appears on this vehicle the faster you go the better mileage you get. How is that even possible? ???

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
senkler said:
It makes no sense to us but it appears on this vehicle the faster you go the better mileage you get. How is that even possible? ???
Hmmm...?? Let's see... If you are going faster, the car thinks you are going downhill!! That explains it!! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Fuel mileage is not computed by the tank meter its calculated by the PCM and injector pulse width. Either the OP needs to fill the tank and drive at least 200 miles and refill and calculate mileage or reset the average fuel indicator and check mileage. You must reset the fuel calculator every fillup or when adding fuel to get accurate fuel calculations. Its in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
redvett said:
Fuel mileage is not computed by the tank meter its calculated by the PCM and injector pulse width. Either the OP needs to fill the tank and drive at least 200 miles and refill and calculate mileage or reset the average fuel indicator and check mileage. You must reset the fuel calculator every fillup or when adding fuel to get accurate fuel calculations. Its in the owners manual.
This is a very informative post. :thumb: I was unaware of the advice from the manual.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is good mileage on the for highway. I have been able to squeeze 18.5 on surface streets and 28.5 on the highway.

I get what redvette is saying how you need to reset everything. But I also feel that nothing beats a pencil and the computer between your ears to actually calculate it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Crystalblue08 said:
That is good mileage on the for highway. I have been able to squeeze 18.5 on surface streets and 28.5 on the highway.

I get what redvette is saying how you need to reset everything. But I also feel that nothing beats a pencil and the computer between your ears to actually calculate it.
Unfortunately, the computer in my head is still a 64K Atari! :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
:happy: :happy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
senkler said:
We have tested the mileage on my '08 Enclave mutliple times. I have the AWD which impacts it. In the city I get an average of 17mpg. On the interstate if I keep it around 70-72mph I get around 19-20mpg. If I bump it up to 75-78 mph I get about 22mpg. It makes no sense to us but it appears on this vehicle the faster you go the better mileage you get. How is that even possible? ???
"An object in motion tends to stay in motion" Moving a car from stop light nets you the worst gas mileage especially for those who are heavy footed. Keeping a car in motion combined with very high ratio gears (5-6-7-8) that keep engine rpms low while moving fast will net higher mileage numbers. Simply takes much less energy to keep moving than to start moving.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Re: Why am I getting bad gas mileage? Why am I getting great gas mileage?

I'm sure there is some minor variability from car to car, and depending on driving conditions/terrain, but at what speed do most of you get the best mpg? My sweet spot seems to be around 65. Also, I always check my DIC mpg reading against my own calculation (which I trust slightly more). So far, the DIC average is about 1/2 an mpg lower than actual. Closer than other cars I've driven...

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Though I haven't checked in a couple of years, my car's mileage sweet spot has been attained while cruising steadily at about 62 mph.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My Enclave hits its sweetest spot between 70-75 mph....why I dont know.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Crystalblue08 said:
redvett said:
If you didnt fill tank and drive a couple hundred miles and refill and devide miles by fuel used your not doing it correctly. If you do not reset the average fuel economy after every fill up your also doing that wrong. You must reset fuel mileage calculater after each fill up. Anything other than the ways i described its a crapshoot.
redvett said:
Agree no better result than when using the real data. The one thing I have to add is to be sure to refill on level (or better still the same pump) each time. Multiple tanks will yield a result more realistic and more representative of your overall driving. Info from the DIC's calculation may or may not be close to reality. Without knowing the algorithm used it'd be hard to say exactly how close the calculation would be to actual fuel mpg and how the computational error may vary,

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I am surprised by the reports of best mileage being achieved at around 70 mph for some Enclaves. My Enclave's mileage definitely suffers beyond the low 60s. :shrug: In fact, the same is true for my 2006 Subaru Tribeca.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts