EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been a question i have had for along time, and i realised it was not just my yukon, coming home last night i had to flash somebody to tell them to go a head and merge and the fogs turned off when i did that. i put a diode on the yukon and sierra so that when the parking lights come on the fogs come on, so i cant turn them off but i like to run with them, but because of that they dont turn off when the highs come on, the problem is on the enclave its a flap, not another bulb, making it harder to put a diode in. my question is, is it possable to do this and , why does gm have it like this, it would be nice to get the most light possable when needed. :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
We owned a 93 Trans AM a 2000 Gran Am GT and a 2006 Rendevzous, they all had the same feature that the fog Lights turned off at "HIGH BEAM".
I think the reasoning is that you should not use High Beams in FOG therefore the Fog Lights are Off on High Beam. Just my Observation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
a "diode???" ?????? ???

My Toyota Solara does the same thing. I think Top Dog's right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waitingsince 8-10 said:
a "diode???" ?????? ???

My Toyota Solara does the same thing. I think Top Dog's right.

i want to mod my fogs so that there more like extra head lights, (i want to add a 6000k hid kit to them ) so it would be nice to keep them on.

ok a diode is what i used in the yukon to trick the computer to think the lows are off even though there not, same with the fogs. thats the easiest way for me to explain it with out confusing you more. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=diode&s=D-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a law in most of the US States that both fog lights and high beems can not be on at the same time. Check your state to see if this legal to have both on at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is illeagle but its also illeagle to use highs near other people, so if im not around other people why should they care weather my fogs are on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this everyone’s first day driving? ;D We all learned during driving school, you never drive in fog with High Beams on. It only makes sense that automakers make it idiot proof to save lives. When you have the fog lights on you are telling the car that there is a visibility issue and to focus the most light to the road not to the sky. I have lived in Ca where some of the largest car pile ups happen due to people driving incorrectly in the thick fog on interstate 5 so I think this is a great safety feature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wont use highs during foggy weather, i just like knowing i can have a bunch of lights on at once.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
i wont use highs during foggy weather, i just like knowing i can have a bunch of lights on at once.
Wrap your car in Christmas lights. Problem solved. :thumb:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it has to do with the aiming. Fog lights are positioned low and aimed low and wide, so the light doesn't reflect off the fog into your eye, and so the light can go under the fog so you can see through it. If you turn on high beams in foggy weather, a bit of the light will end up back in your eye, and all you'll see is a white curtain in front of you. I think the logic behind this is that in foggy weather, you want as much light as possible. But, to get that light, you want to turn on you fog lamps and high beams. When you go and switch on your high beams, you see that your fog lamps are now off, you can't see through the fog as well, but there is tons of glare coming into your eye from the high beam being reflected by the fog. With logical thinking, you realize that you're better off with using the fog lamps w/low beam instead of them with high beams, and better than just low beams alone. Safety feature for you and others.

What most people don't realize is that fog lamps don't help in dry weather. Sure, you can see the front and front corners of your vehicle better, but you can't see any farther than your low beams alone. Plus, it's more glaring to oncoming drivers, and it wastes gas. It's almost as annoying as those who think that their reduced high beam DRL system can substitute for an entire lighting system, and those who think that having every light on their car illuminated in the middle of the day will help them see better and be seen. DRLs are enough during the day, thank you very much. :angryfire:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
reason i ask is at night, i frequently travel on un marked, un paved, and un lit neighborhoods, their brand new developments with no lights what so ever, i would like all the light i can get just because. and it helps. the hids on high are the best, but the fogs really help when the road is pich black and the only thing out there is you. now i would never take the enclave through and un paived road, especally when its raining and all muddy, although i had too on the first day i had it, did really well, but i didnt get too confident and parked and walked the rest since it was only a half mile and the rest was mud. if i had the yukon that night though i would have blown right through.

btw i know were not supposed to use highs in fog, and to only use lows and fogs when its raining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts