EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife are really struggling with the Enclave vs Acadia decision.

For those who ad a similar decision -- what swayed you one way or the other?

We're looking at a CXL or SLT-I (maybe II) with most options except tow options (don't need) and nav (too pricey for wiw)

Pros:
Theoretically quiter ride
Interior looks a little better -- but also looks a little fake as well
Color bumpers
Most of the sheet metal differences look better, especially the front (exc grill)
4yr/50k

Cons:
Buick name
Buick front grill
Roof Rack -- chrome looks dumb and Acadia could be used as is without cross bars/etc
no HUD option

Price is nearly a wash depending on how you configure things.... Enclave may end up a smidge cheaper....

We're in that 40yr old age bracket with
an 8yr old daughter -- still thinking/living like were in our 30's.

If we are struggling buying into the Buick name -- will we have resell issues (although we tend to
keep our vehicles for 6-10 years -- you still have to consider an early out)

At this point we are looking at ordering an '09 in the April timeframe.

thanks a bunch,

M

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
To me since everything underneath is exactly the same, it boils down to styling and a few options such as HUD and quiet ride that you find on one and not the other...I did not like what I thought was a bland interior in the Acadia, the Buick just seemed better appointed to me. It just depends on what you like. In terms of Buick name, I really don't think that is a really a problem, the Enclave is getting great press, is the hottest selling vehicle in the country in terms of days on the dealer lots until sale, and Buick is tied with Lexus in the JD Power reliability surveys. So, which do you like better in terms of styling inside and out???

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hmmm, well.......I thought the Acadia looked "sportier", but also more like a "truck" which my wife didn't like. The interior of the Acadia was WAY too "plasticky" for both of us and, frankly, just looked "cheap" compared to the Enclave. We both like having a "unique" vehicle, and the Enclave just had that quality beat hands down. There are already dozens and dozens of Acadias on the roads around here, and we didn't want to "blend in". As far as the Buick name, I assume you are meaning "the age thing". However, the Enclave is so hot and sexy and turns heads, that most people think it is a Lexus or European import upon first glance. I always get "admiring stares" when out and about in the Enclave....and somehow I don't think people are wondering "why is that young guy driving an old man's Buick".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not everybody gets to try it before you buy it. I drove the Acadia for 2 weeks this summer as a rental. It was fully loaded minus the dvd player. I really liked it, and I was all set to buy one. Then I saw the Buick. To me it rides much nicer than the Acadia, and I think the styling is nicer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We own the Enclave and love it but if I was in the market for an 09 I would have to wait for the Traverse LZT and take a look at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I were fighting the same situation...Acadia or Enclave... the Enclave won... much quieter ride and the look is not so plain on the inside. Many, many compliments in just one week... we bought a Black on Black.... good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
We got our Enclave this week after finally finding the one we wanted to buy. We drove our first one in Albuquerque, N.M. last November as a rental, and we knew from that point on that we wanted one. The rental agent at Enterprise told us that their Enclaves would be taken out of service at between 10,000 to 12,000 miles and sold.

We checked the Enterprise rental lots and discovered that they do not sell the Enclaves on their lots, but instead send them back to the Buick dealership they got them from.

Then I began searching Autotrader for the last few months, and finally stumbled on a previous-rental CXL FWD with 11,000 miles. It is Opal White with Gray leather, XM Radio, and captains chairs in the middle.

There are a lot of vehicles of this type at Buick dealerships in California for pricesin the $31000 to $35000 dollar range depending on whether it is FWD or AWD. I drove from San Diego to get this one (110 miles), as all the San Diego units were all at least $2,000.00 more.

I bought mine on Tuesday night in Long Beach, CA for $29,995 + tax and license transfer. It is 9 months old and in perfect condition. It is a certified unit, so supposedly everything was changed and adjusted after it came out of rental service. Supposedly every fluid was changed ( including transmission fluid. I am not really sure it was or not, but I have documentation that says it was). The transmission shifts flawlessly, and doesn't hunt back and forth like some have reported.

I find that with 11,000 miles on the engine, it runs much better than the nearly new unit we drove in Albuquerque. It is really broken in, and throttle response is much better than the other vehicle. Just a touch of the throttle and it is off and running. My first tank of all highway miles here in Southern California gave me 24.3 mpg, which is not bad at all. I drove it easy without hotdogging it. I wanted to see what it would do. Gasoline is just so high here..$3.75 a gallon for regular and going up each day.

The dealership did not give me a full tank of gas, which surprised me. I thought it was cheap, but they explained that the cost of gas cut into their profits, since they discounted the car so much. That is crap, and my CSI form will reflect that. I got 1/4 tank of gas and I had to drive back to San Diego that night. I was under the impression that I would get a full tank of gas, but the world is changing. This has never happened to me whether it was a new or used vehicle.

I love it so far, and sprang for the GMPP 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and gap insurance since I didn't pay cash. It is really smooth and is my wife's anniversary present.

I will submit pictures soon, but it is not the fancy model with NAV and Chrome wheels or sunroofs. There is nothing new to see, but it is exactly what my wife wanted. I think we did okay on this car. We feel it is just like a new car, and plan to keep it a long time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A minor issue for most, but a deal-breaker for those of us who enjoy home building projects and don't own a truck for our trips to Home Depot: The Acadia is the ONLY vehicle in its class that will accept a 4' wide sheet of plywood, drywall, or whatever through the tailgate and flat on the floor. Trust me, I spent a long day at the Philly auto show armed with my trusty measuring tape....

·
Registered
41 Posts
We were set on the Acadia when we were Internet/brochure shopping initially, then we drove them.

I preferred the rugged/sporty look of the Acadia on the outside, but I prefer the interiror of the Enclave greatly more. The biggest gripe we had with the Acadia is the red interior lighting. Try driving one at night and see if this bothers you. I personally love the combination of wood/metal/leather on the Enclave much more than the Acadia. I also like the fabric the Enclave has on the interior of the A/B/C/D pillars on the inside, which is part of Buick's 'quiet tuning' but also makes is look/feel nicer on the inside. Personally, I think they are the same car: They cost the same, drive the same, get the same gas mileage, it's all about what you like better from a physical standpoint that should sway your decision.

As for resale, I can't see that the Acadia/Enclave will trade any different in the future unless GM decides to dump one of the brands in the future.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Only the Buick of the bunch gives a 4 YEAR bumper to bumper warranty!! The others are 3 years I believe. The powertrain warranty is 5 years 100K miles for all.

Makes a difference!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Only the Buick of the bunch gives a 4 YEAR bumper to bumper warranty!! The others are 3 years I believe. The powertrain warranty is 5 years 100K miles for all.

Makes a difference!!
My Outlook came with a 4 year.... I got it to 5 by using GMAC, didn't have to but the rate was really low and the perks I got made it worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was on my way to buy the Arcadia. Decided to stop by one more time at the Acura dealer to drive one more time the MDX w/tech package. Arcadia drove much better and about 5K cheaper. Then on the way back to GMC my wife and I walked by the Enclave and decided to take that one for a drive. That was it!!! we went inside and started to work on paperwork and a deal on price.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Assassin8 said:
I was on my way to buy the Arcadia. Decided to stop by one more time at the Acura dealer to drive one more time the MDX w/tech package. Arcadia drove much better and about 5K cheaper. Then on the way back to GMC my wife and I walked by the Enclave and decided to take that one for a drive. That was it!!! we went inside and started to work on paperwork and a deal on price.
You will love it! Good luck, and enjoy! :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Assassin8 said:
Great...but as you're one of many there's NO R in Acadia. It's not an "arcade..." Oy. Congrats regardless.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Great...but as you're one of many there's NO R in Acadia. It's not an "arcade..." Oy. Congrats regardless.
No but there is an Arcadia Wisconsin, close to where I grew up and besides that great fact, is now the home of Ashley Furniture...Enclave forum fun fact number 131.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox
Don't get me started, I am full of useless tidbits of information ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts