EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife was over visiting family in Georgia this past weekend and hit someone's mailbox on the narrow road her brother lives on (they left the mailbox door open). It slammed the mirror closed and broke the mirror glass as well as cracking the outer housing of the mirror. Oh well, time to replace the mirror. I found a great price from Schram Auto Parts on ebay for an exact replacement (I guess these are off wrecked Enclaves) and it is an exact match and is a power folding mirror which is what I need. Interesting that it actually has just shipped from Lansing, MI.........hmmmmm, I wonder if they have access to some old stock at the plant? I thought it was weird that it shipped out of Lansing. The part number doesn't match what gmpartsdirect.com lists, but I assume it has been superceded. I know many people on these forums have had good luck with Schram before and they have a 30 day return policy, so I gave it a shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220574415571&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A1123

My question is, has anyone here actually replaced either of their power folding mirrors before? I assume it is fairly simple, but was wondering the easiest way to remove it without damaging anything. I replaced a RH mirror on my old car, so I think I can tackle this one. Any pointers from someone who has tackled this on the Enclave would be appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
ccaats,

I noticed your Enclave is Red Jewel but the mirror you purchased is Crimson Metallic. Are you going to have the mirror painted or do they have a Red Jewel in stock?

CT

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C Traz said:
ccaats,

I noticed your Enclave is Red Jewel but the mirror you purchased is Crimson Metallic. Are you going to have the mirror painted or do they have a Red Jewel in stock?

CT
I am hoping their "description" was incorrect, because the pictures they have posted are clearly red jewel. There is no way those pictures are of crimson metallic (which is actually much darker and purple).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ccaats said:
I am hoping their "description" was incorrect, because the pictures they have posted are clearly red jewel. There is no way those pictures are of crimson metallic (which is actually much darker and purple).
Also, the date on the part number is 7/25/2007 and "dark crimson metallic" wasn't available until later into the 2008 model year (winter 2007-08 I believe). With a build date of 7/25/2007 for this part, it wouldn't have been available in crimson yet.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you go to their store link on that page and do a search for "Enclave side mirror" quite a few show up. Some photos don't match up with the color description of the mirror. Hopefully it will be Red Jewel.

CT

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C Traz said:
If you go to their store link on that page and do a search for "Enclave side mirror" quite a few show up. Some photos don't match up with the color description of the mirror. Hopefully it will be Red Jewel.

CT
I hope so too, was so mad when she showed it to me....I just went and found it quick, saw the color in the pictures and assumed they used a wrong description (because red looks crimson to most people). I just sent em an email, hopefully if their pictures were wrong, they will swap it for me. If they took a picture of a red jewel one, hopefully they have one. Thanks for the catch and pointing it out to me!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:facepalm: ccaats that is too bad. I am always very leery about getting too close to something with the mirrors. Your wife has to be feeling bad about this.
When I pull through the bank drive through I always turn my mirrors in as well.

My husband laughs at me because I am always turning the mirrors in when I park in a parking lot, even though I park WAY WAY out for some reason someone always decides...hey let's park way out here as well and...right next to...MY CAR!

Good luck and hope you get the right color.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a couple of back-and-forth emails with the guy at Schram and I think I will be getting a red jewel mirror. He seems to think the guys inventoried it as "crimson metallic" but he stated that the mirror in the pictures is what was actually sent out. Those pictures confirm it is actually red jewel (and the part number build date well before dark crimson was made available). He and I think the guy who inventoried it incorrectly listed it as crimson. I will know by tomorrow as it is scheduled to come in on UPS. Here's hoping it's the right color!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just as a helper, here in Brooklyn, with street parking and all, the mirrors always seem to get slight "rub" marks on them (even though I have power folding mirrors). The local auto stores sell a "scratch remover" polish...it's kind of like the old Dupont 7 cleaner-polish. It really does a great job on removing surface blemishes, as long as the "scratch" doesn't go down to the primer. Anyway, it works for me.
Sorry about the Mrs. hitting the mirror. My wife likes to go for potholes!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sorry to read about your mirror. I had a "Mrs." mirror incident once, too, with a 3 week old car. I was livid. To this day, my wife reminds me how I was more concerned about the car than her feelings. I think that she has a valid point. :-[

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GoldEnclave said:
Sorry to read about your mirror. I had a "Mrs." mirror incident once, too, with a 3 week old car. I was livid. To this day, my wife reminds me how I was more concerned about the car than her feelings. I think that she has a valid point. :-[
I actually bit my tongue on this one, and promptly found a replacement on ebay and ordered it. It really isn't as bad as it could be. I have replaced mirrors before, it isn't too bad a job (just the cost). I am trying to learn to not get mad about car boo-boos.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I usually am really protective of our cars, and give my wife a little grief about things, but there was one time I bit my tongue and didn't get into it with her. It was the day she went back to work after her first maternity leave when our first daughter was born....she was backing out of the garage and "rubbed" her truck into my Grand Am, so both vehicles had marks...the truck had a dent, and the Grand Am just scratches. I very calmly told her to not worry about it, to drive safely to work and we would take care of it later. Think about it this way....both those vehicles are not in our possession now, so it's all a moot point. Bottom line, she was upset about having to go back to work and leave the baby at home, was a bit emotional and I felt it best not to fuel the fire with anything said to her about the damage to the vehicles. Anyway, that's my "wife doing damage to a vehicle" story. She did have an accident one time with her Silverado, slipping on ice and going in a ditch, but that was completely not her fault.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The passengers are always more important than the vehicles. In the heat of the moment, I have occasionally forgotten this during my initial reaction to "car boo-boos".

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news! The replacement mirror from Schram Auto Parts came in today and it was the correct color! They had mis-labeled it as "Crimson Metallic" but as the pictures on ebay showed it really was Red Jewel, so we are in business. It looks like it was never installed and just has one small little scuff mark (hard to see) but otherwise looks brand new. I wonder if it was a "scratch and dent" from the factory since it shipped from Lansing?

Well, I will tackle replacing it this weekend when I have plenty of time not to rush it. I will post pictures of the project.

I would HIGHLY recommend Schram Auto Parts!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/Schram-Auto-Parts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
That is great news! Have fun and yes pictures....!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
schramautoparts said:
Glad everything worked out OK!
GREAT customer service from you guys! I hope you get some more business from others on our forums. You helped me out of a jam and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, well I completed the mirror replacement in about 20 mins. Below are detailed pics and steps. It was really simple to do. The new mirror works perfectly and once again, many kudos to Schram Auto Parts for a quality replacement part. I believe it came from the factory as "scratch and dent" as it looks like it was never even installed on an Enclave as the bolt threads were untouched.

Below are pictures of the damaged mirror

And a picture of the new mirror bought for $94.95 from Schram Auto Parts on ebay. Doesn't even look like it was ever installed, and was built 7/25/2007 (one month before the mirror on our Enclave)

First thing to do was to remove the interior trim panel around the window frame that comes down to behind the mirror. This was easily removed with my fingers and no tools were necessary.

This revealed the nuts on the back of the 3 bolts that were holding the mirror in place which could be removed with a size 10mm socket.

To get to the two wiring harnesses that were plugged in behind the door panel, I had to partially remove the door panel. There are 3 main TORX bolts that have to be removed first. One behind the door pull, and two behind the grab handle. The covers off of these pop off easily with a butter knife or small flat head screwdriver and the TORX bolts are removed with a size #30 TORX driver.

I could then partially remove the door panel using a butter knife (or door panel retainer clip removal tool) to pop out the few door panel retainer clips around the top and front side of the door panel. This revealed the connector for the two pigtails and they could be disconnected.

Now, the old mirror can be removed. There are two additional little plastic clips that hold the weatherstripping to the old mirror (I have highlighted with arrows in the pictures). Nice attention to detail when these cars are built to "button things up tight".

And, some pictures of the finished product. There is one small little nick on the outside of this new mirror, which may be the reason it was "culled" from the factory and sold as a salvage part, but it looks almost perfect. Overall, I am pleased for only $94.95 to fix this "uh-oh" when it would have probably been close to $500 for a new one to be painted and installed at a body shop.

I know this was a detailed post for such a minor part replacement, but if anyone ever needs to replace a mirror in the future, I hope I have helped encourage you to "DIY". :thumb:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:thumb: Great job! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts