EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm looking at getting my wife an Enclave and replacing her older Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know that the Enclave comes with a 17" spare tire. However if I purchased a 19" "spare" would it fit in the spare tire compartment in the Enclave?

Thanks,

CL

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not positive, but my dealer and I were discussing ways to make the Enclave better and he mentioned the donut and how much better it would be if it was full sized. He said he thought they made it a donut because of space issues, but the mechanic at the dealership told him there is definitely room for a fullsized tire in the spot. I would confirm that, though!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Used to be tires would often fail before their tread-life, and when the mini-spares were introduced, I felt cheated. Now I don't want to carry an expensive Michelin around for (perhaps) years. Tire failures are rare, and the mini will last until I determine whether the Michelin can be repaired. More likely, I'll replace in pairs or all four for normal tread wear, and I'll look for a discount on a full set. That's me, of course. Your driving habits and conditions will be different.

·
Registered
612 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Used to be tires would often fail before their tread-life, and when the mini-spares were introduced, I felt cheated. Now I don't want to carry an expensive Michelin around for (perhaps) years. Tire failures are rare, and the mini will last until I determine whether the Michelin can be repaired. More likely, I'll replace in pairs or all four for normal tread wear, and I'll look for a discount on a full set. That's me, of course. Your driving habits and conditions will be different.
Ditto. I have had one flat tire in 30 years of driving. In that case the 6 year old spare was also flat. It was Sunday at 5:00AM of course. I am going to guess those little spare tires hold air better. Yes I could have checked the air in the spare (but who has time to think of that).

I plan on pressing the Blue Button if I ever get a flat. Hopefully the GM dealer will bring out a full size. If not, I'll just have it towed to the dealer. I will probably not drive on the little spare.

I wonder if this is hard on the drive train to drive with one wheel that doesn't match the rest? I know the engine has to be flashed if you change the circumference of the tire.

·
Registered
509 Posts
^^No, but they've planned for it. The overall circumference should be equal, but sometimes isn't, depending on the car and the spare.

Still, it's why the vehicle is automatically programmed--if equipped--to turn off the AWD when the smaller spare is in place, among other things. And, in the same sense, things have been tested as such many times...and are always perfectly fine well beyond the printed "max time use" given on them. And they'd never give you a spare that was going to cause harm to anything or throw off the speedo and other things.

Cars have had mini spares for eon's, and will continue to--follow the recommendations for use, and get the original wheel/tire back on as soon as you can, and you're A-ok.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Clave Man said:
Hopefully the GM dealer will bring out a full size. If not, I'll just have it towed to the dealer.
Looking in to my crystal ball ... ah, yes ... your dealer stays in his office; GMs area contract towing service comes out and offers to tow (or carry, nowadays) you to the dealer, who will repair or replace the tire. The mini will not be deployed unless dealers are closed or you insist on it.

caddycruiser said:
Cars have had mini spares for eons ...
Was that really eons ago? I better get some warm milk and hobble off to bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
everyone has their own personal preference. mine is, i'd really like to know if a full size tire would fit, also. looks to me like it might. dealer says it won't, but that might just be a CYA as honda dealers say a full size won't fit the pilot but it will.

i prefer the security of a full size spare as i think that it covers more possible bad situations, even though i agree that flat tires do not happen real commonly.

as far as getting towed, i was told by the dealer that "roadside assistance" means that whoever they send will take off the flat tire and install the donut spare. the customer then puts the bad tire inside the vehicle (in between the luggage, kids, dog, maybe in someone's lap?), and drives on the donut until the regular tire gets fixed.

if i'm close to home, the donut does not worry me. if i'm on trip away from home, weekend or holiday, late at night, etc., i personally don't want to drive a loaded vehicle with my family inside on a donut spare.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
tm255.....Welcome aboard. Did I see a Honda Pilot convert?? Congrats if so!

You are right. The service guy responding ,will put on your mini-spare tire! Not perfect, but unless in bad snow, (cause the AWD will be turned off) it will get you 60-90 miles I believe ,at 65 MPH, safely. (AWD is automatically shut-off when spare is removed, by a hidden switch! The mini-spare throws the computer sensors /TPMS into a fit! ) Not too bad under these circumstances. But, yes a full size would be better!

Don't forget to look for that switch, if you replace the mini!!!

PS since tire inflater-in-a-can will fry the TPMS in the valve stem, I carry a small 12v, high output, air compressor! Then if my tire has a minor leak (looks half way down for instance!) I can cleanly refill in 5 minutes and drive for another 50-100 miles maybe! The TPMS on the dash (DIC panel) will tell me as I drive if pressure is dropping too quickly! :thumb:

Makes a good Christmas/Hannakuh gift!!! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the welcome!

no, i'm not a convert from the pilot. i'm shopping for a family trip vehicle and since i have not bought a car since 99 am having to educate myself about all the options. i'm looking at everything from minivans to SUVs, including the pilot and the enclave.

good idea about the air compressor and that should handle many situations.

enclave/outlook/acadia sure have a lot going for them and might be my top choice if they could carry the full size spare.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
tm255, let me make it easy for you! BUY the ENCLAVE/ACADIA/OUTLOOK and get the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, that the others don't offer, and 4 years Bumper-Bumper for the Enclave, all at no extra cost! Hmmmmm......... If you get a flat, call ONSTAR, while you listen to the XM radio ;) :thumb:

Good luck and thanks for considering American made/profit-retained, products! We need all the related the jobs! ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone that has a full size extra tire tested to see if it will fit in the area for spare?

Our "Bubba" got a flat, and roadside assistance put on the donut.
When we got the car to the dealership they advised it was a hole in the sidewall, and unrepairable.
It took them 2 days to get a replacement.
As we live in Houston, most of our driving is freeway, and DH did not feel comfortable with the donut.
We also make a few trips a year to Mississippi and are wondering if we get another unrepairable flat, finding a replacement immediately will be a problem.

We are thinking about buying a standard tire and rim to keep as the spare. (Bubba has the chrome deal)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Doesn't look like it will fit under the car; the spare is 24" dia. overall by 6" wide. The 19" ones on the CXL are 30" dia. overall by 10" wide and they won't fit between the dual mufflers inder the car.

As far as using the donut, the owners manual says:
"The compact spare is made to perform well at speeds up to 65 mph (105 km/h) for distances up to 3,000 miles (5 000 km), so you can finish your trip and have the full-size tire repaired or replaced at your convenience. Of course, it is best to replace the spare with a full-size tire as soon as possible. The spare tire will last longer and be in good shape in case it is needed again."

In any case, you should use the spare on the back axle only, and I wouldn't go any longer than absolutely necessary, especially with an AWD Enclave.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
344 Posts
susandoc said:
Has anyone that has a full size extra tire tested to see if it will fit in the area for spare?

Our "Bubba" got a flat, and roadside assistance put on the donut.
When we got the car to the dealership they advised it was a hole in the sidewall, and unrepairable.
It took them 2 days to get a replacement.
As we live in Houston, most of our driving is freeway, and DH did not feel comfortable with the donut.
We also make a few trips a year to Mississippi and are wondering if we get another unrepairable flat, finding a replacement immediately will be a problem.

We are thinking about buying a standard tire and rim to keep as the spare. (Bubba has the chrome deal)
Similar thing happened to me, except I had to wait a week for the tire to come in. I had to park my Enclave for a week. :binky: I would consider buying a spare tire (to keep in the garage, not on the vehicle).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Halle's mom said:
Similar thing happened to me, except I had to wait a week for the tire to come in. I had to park my Enclave for a week. :binky: I would consider buying a spare tire (to keep in the garage, not on the vehicle).
I agree that I would also like to have a spare tire/rim in my garage. There's always a few on Ebay and some will sell just one. At least you can get towed home/dealer and get the spare right on. Better than waiting, up to a week like that crazy dealer wanted you to do. I recall you got one in a day or 2 from a Tire dealer instead. Good 4 you!

I recently bought a product that can fill almost 3 of the Enclaves tires, from almost flat, in 20 seconds, with no electricity! It's a small (wine bottle size) container that you fill with inert CO2, (from a Fire dept, Sports Authority Store, or Paint Ball dealer), for a few bucks. Then if your tire is going flat, get the little canister out, push on the tire valve nozzle and you're on your way till you get to a station/dealer. Much better than changing the spare yourself, or possibly waiting 2 hours for the Onstar contracted tow truck to arrive! Of course nothing but a Spare tire will resolve a bad sidewall puncture. But this will give you a real fighting chance, for most flats. Cleanly & safely.

Here is site if interested. I paid $139 plus $10 shipping. Beautiful bag included. Good luck!

PS.... Never use a can of "Fix-a-Flat, on Enclave anyway, unless desperate to get going, as it will destroy the Tire Pressure Sensor, in valve stem.

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/power-tank-mini-system-model-ptm0124-p-4088.html

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Thanks Smokin SRX for the CO2 canister site! ;D

Forgive me those who PM'd me, yes, the CO2 is compatible with regular air! Co2 more readily compacts in a smaller volume than air, and has similar ride characteristics! This is the same stuff they use in Mc Donald's soda fountains, to make bubbles in soda :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Great, I can take a hit off the canister after I am done and get the hiccups.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Warning from Gas Depot:

"DO NOT INHALE THE CONTENTS OF THE GAS CONTAINED IN THE CHARGERS SOLD ON THIS WEBSITE. IT MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO YOUR LUNGS AS WELL AS IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE, INCLUDING DEATH."
:eek:hno:
Well I would consider death irreversible, so I guess I'll pass. And yes, I was joking.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The compressed gas is actually stored as a liquid!! Think B-B-Q grill tank. The pressure would blow your mind.......and you'd run out and buy an Import ;) ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts