EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another one of those questions that I know realistically can't be answered by anyone but myself (don't ya HATE being asked questions like that?!?!?!), but I'm going to ask anyway.

My situation: It's purely financial. If I wait 6-7 months I will be in such better shape to be getting into another car payment scenario. Are there are pro's or cons to waiting that are NOT financial?? I.e. prices might go up (con), prices might go down (con), might could get an '08 with a few miles on it (pro), might get to see an '09 and like it better (pro), dealers might work with you more on the price after they have been out longer............what are the pro's and cons???? I'm really impatient and want one yesterday, BUT.........the reality of it is that I could be sooo much better off if I waited just 6-7 months.

SM

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
we are also waiting 6-7 months, partially cause we havent gotten one yet and think we should just wait for the 2009s. and think we can get a little better deal, also financial. cause by then we will have paid off all our cars, so maybe get a V8 if offered instead of V6...

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I don't see availability improving all that much in the next 6 months. Right now, the problem is not lack of production capacity(they just shut down the 3rd shift), but the inability of GM's suppliers to keep up with the demand for component parts. See this thread, http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2133.0
GM is having the same problem with the new Malibu, demand outstripping the supply.

Good luck with your decision.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
personally if I was in a position to wait before purchasing, I would have waited for the 2009 model. It gives the manufacture the opportunity to fix the bugs so to speak!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Even though I did not follow my own advise, it is often best to wait until the new year models are out and then deal on the previous years models as they want them off the lots. This often results in several thousand dollars of savings without much work. That being said, based on the demand for the Enclave, I don't think there will be alot of "left over" 2008s sitting around to deal on.

Good Luck. I think the price will go up on the 2009s, they have already raised the 2008 price mid model year, but there may be some changes on the 2009s that interest you although I doubt it. They usually don't change models much if at all for the first few years.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As for model infancy defects, you have to remember the Enclave is actually the 2nd year for the platform. The Acadia and Outlook are 07's.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I composed a brilliant reply and somehow sent it into cyberspace. To be brief, our dealer screwed up our allocation or we would be receiving our Enclave in early February. Now, we're content to wait. Some concerns include unresolved electrical problems (battery) and the "clank/clunk" issues. Also, with the perception of a problem economy, I think more incentives will be available with some improvements in the 09 model, as well.

By the way, I have noticed Enclaves sitting on the dealer lots here in central Iowa for 2-3 months. Even now they are not moving as quickly as some have indicated, at least around here. I know they can be purchased for invoice and without the advertising fees if one is commited, as I am, to the ridiculousness (is that a word?) of paying them.

Taken together, for us, the above issues make waiting the right thing to do, although we were really disappointed that we won't have the Enclave for the obligatory spring break trip to grandma's 1000 miles away. Hope this helps.

BB

·
Registered
717 Posts
Couple of events pushed me into buying early:

1. Mid year price increase - '09s will include some sort of bump as well
2. Tax increase in MD

The $1000 or so I could've saved by waiting were eaten up by these 2 other events.

·
Registered
360 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
If I wait 6-7 months I will be in such better shape to be getting into another car payment scenario.
I will put my own personal view of "finances" into this thread. If you don't really, and I mean REALLY, need a new car right now, I would opt to wait until you are in that "better shape" before doing anything. I believe that any price bumps will be small, if at all, with how the economy is predicted to be in the near future. Even if there is a bump, in the big picture, with financing a car for 5 years or so, it will be a minimal impact. Maybe you could even save the money that you would be making in car payments up to that point, make a larger down payment, and be dollars ahead! :thumbsup: The sooner you are debt free in your life, the better! :thumb:

OK, I will get off my soap box now. :soapbox:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am afraid I feel the same way as you xrayman.

I managed to do that 3 years ago and life has been SO much easier & nicer since then!

·
Registered
360 Posts
OKCCowboy said:
I am afraid I feel the same way as you xrayman.
I always knew you were a smart guy. ;D

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm on that bandwagon too! I haven't had a car payment since 1984. I started saving for a new car then, and have been holding off purchase until I can pay cash. It's amazing how much you can save in 8-10 years when not making a car payment. I don't put high millage on my vehicles, so they last me 10 years and still have some resale value. Of course everyone has different needs and circumstances, but I think unnecessary debt is like a hole in the bottom of the boat. Patience is a very rewarding virtue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
xrayman said:
I always knew you were a smart guy. ;D
Thanks, I try! :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I wouldn't count on a price increase on the vehicle. If you are watching the news as of late, a recession is near or if you listen to some we are already in it, that being said raising the price of any vehicle would be a major financial blow for any manufacturer....IMO

·
Registered
177 Posts
But, no one ever said car manufacturers, especially American ones, did things that were "intelligent"! The Enclave is a special enough car that I probably see the obligatory few percent bump between model years, plus some if they add new standard options (probably not likely). Just the same, SAVE! The mid year price bumps have been on the order of 500 bucks, which is probably less than you're stashing away every month and is most likely less than a single monthly payment if you went and got it now, so that bump in price slows you less than 1 month in savings. Plus, I imagine it does a little bit for increasing the resale/residual value of the vehicle.

I'm completely on board with all the savings advice here! My wife and I are quite young (20's) so we'll end up with some bit of a loan (trying to get it below 15k) when we buy, but as soon as we can we want to be making "car payments" to our savings account for the next car and NEVER have a car loan again! And there's plenty to be said for the impending recession (it is, after all, a natural part of any capitalist economy).

·
Registered
108 Posts
As a graduation present my father gave me the 7-year-old, 100,000-mile Chevy I had driven during college, and a piece of advice that was worth far more than the car. I would spend the rest of my life, he said, either paying for my last car (and paying interest on the loan) or saving for my next car (and earning interest on my money). His gift to me was helping me start out one car ahead; staying one car ahead was up to me and my discipline to save. After 45 years and a dozen cars, I'm proud to say I have kept the promise I made that day and saved a ton of money in the process. I know that many young people today start out with no car and a pile of college loans, and I respect the sacrifices and determination it takes to get "one car ahead." Knowing that car payments do NOT nave to be a way of life and resisting "new car fever" until the money is in hand is far from easy, but it is a goal well worth the effort!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
As a graduation present my father gave me the 7-year-old, 100,000-mile Chevy I had driven during college, and a piece of advice that was worth far more than the car. I would spend the rest of my life, he said, either paying for my last car (and paying interest on the loan) or saving for my next car (and earning interest on my money). His gift to me was helping me start out one car ahead; staying one car ahead was up to me and my discipline to save. After 45 years and a dozen cars, I'm proud to say I have kept the promise I made that day and saved a ton of money in the process. I know that many young people today start out with no car and a pile of college loans, and I respect the sacrifices and determination it takes to get "one car ahead." Knowing that car payments do NOT nave to be a way of life and resisting "new car fever" until the money is in hand is far from easy, but it is a goal well worth the effort!
HOOO RAAHH! I second that emotion!! :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts