EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Is the Outlook destined to be discontinued with arrival of the Traverse?

• Yes, the declining sales trend will continue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I think it will survive

• Not sure, it may only last through 2009, if that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Outlook having a 138 day supply(almost 5 months), and increasing, and the arrival of the Traverse, ultimately seal its fate as the one that gets discontinued?
For comparison, a 60 day supply is considered normal. The Enclave has a 41 day supply, the Acadia 51.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt it will be discontinued. According to Admin on the sister forum "Saturnoutlookforum.net",
"....Saturn sold on average more than 6.7 Outlooks per facility per month in 2007, compared to about 2.7 Acadias per month at each GMC dealership".

The Enclave numbers were not referenced.

It simply comes down to availability. Their are far more GMC and Buick dealerships than Saturn dealerships.

Also there is a poll on that forum asking why the Outlook owners selected the Outlook over the Enclave and Acadia and over 90% indicated they prefered the vehicle design.

Believe it or not some people just like it better. :eyebrow:

Key1

·
Registered
159 Posts
key1cc said:
Believe it or not some people just like it better. :eyebrow:
Quite true but you have to realize that the marketing folks will not be asking themselves if that is the case. They will ask whether the potential Oulook customer will still buy a Lambda even if the Outlook is not available. It doesn't matter if they like a GMC or Traverse a little less, if they'll buy the alternative, then they don't need the extra model. Time will tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you do realize this is GM right? i'm surprised they haven't released a pontiac version and ressurected oldsmobile and released an olds lambda!

GerryL said:
Quite true but you have to realize that the marketing folks will not be asking themselves if that is the case. They will ask whether the potential Oulook customer will still buy a Lambda even if the Outlook is not available. It doesn't matter if they like a GMC or Traverse a little less, if they'll buy the alternative, then they don't need the extra model. Time will tell.

·
Registered
159 Posts
robmack said:
you do realize this is GM right? i'm surprised they haven't released a pontiac version and ressurected oldsmobile and released an olds lambda!
Good point, probably a Hummer version coming...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Saturn will survive. GM needs Saturn to design, modify and test their new styles - Ion became the Chevy Cobolt, Aura turned into the Malibu, and if I'm not mistaken, it went Outlook, Acadia, and then Enclave. The Outlook was announced introduced in April of 06 and the Acadia in July. The only problem Saturn has, as mentioned before, is fewer dealerships and lack of advertising. If GM would put the same amount of marketing into the Outlook as it does the Aura, Vue, Acadia, and Enclave I think you would see even more sold per dealership. I also think Saturn has a better customer service team in sales and service. I have dealt with other GM dealerships and Saturn has always been more upfront and helpful, IMO.

But then again I am a little one sided since I have owned 3 Saturns. :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is plenty of speculation the Cadillac SRX will migrate to a Lambda, and I'd welcome it. Still, 4 Lambdas is a bit too many under one manufacturer, especially considering there isn't a fully "luxury" version (sorry, but Buick nips at the heels of luxury, but it's not full out luxury). The Outlook sits far too close to the Acadia and doesn't do much of anything to distinguish itself. They need to axe the Saturn, and hopefully the Traverse will come in clearly at the low end. That will likely give some distinction and will be easier to understand.

I've been none too impressed with Saturn in my dealings. "No hassle buying process" My butt! That just means you can't negotiate and you have to swallow their price if you want it. PLUS, the don't take GM Card earnings. With that one I told them to take a hike.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
especially considering there isn't a fully "luxury" version (sorry, but Buick nips at the heels of luxury, but it's not full out luxury).
How exactly would you add more "luxury" to the Enclave to make you call it a "luxury vehicle???"

More power, yes. Better interior plastics?? More cushy seats and ride?? More glitz?? Gold trim??

I guess I probably don't exactly ascribe to your definition of "luxury" since the Enclave has beaten high end Mercedes and Lamborghini SUV's costing double in comparison tests.

TM

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, there's many "little" things that the luxury brands offer. I wouldn't pay the premium to the those last few things (ie. "the juice isn't worth the squeeze"), but truth be told, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc. have many things the Buick doesn't. Maybe adaptive cruise control, automatic parallel parking, ALL mirrors autodimming, BLUETOOTH (even Ford has them there), on board hard drive for music (see Cadillac), cooled seats (see '09 Traverse...probably '09 Enclave too), a V8, proximity ignition key, ventilated disk breaks, and the list could go on.

I'm not suggesting Buick going there, I find that Buick is RIGHT where I would want my car to be, but if GM wants to provide a TRUE luxury vehicle, those are the type of extra, and expensive, niceties they need to offer. And maybe GM might plan to do that with a Cady version. I think they should, so I can oogle at it...then tell myself I can't have it.

Oh, and when the Enclave has beaten Mercedes and Lamborghini (I haven't see that one myself), it's been because price was taken into account. If price was no object, the Enclave maybe nips at their heels but never surpasses them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Enclave has been rumored to get many of the "luxury" items you mention, including a more powerful direct injection V6 (not an unnecessary low mpg V8) and even a powerful diesel, cooled seats, Bluetooth, etc. I wouldn't consider park assist a luxury item - just an unnecessary geriatric expense, and ventilated brakes are debatable too. The Enclave has a remote start which is somewhat equivalent to proximity keyless entry. The Enclave has autodimming available on its mirrors just like the luxury brands do (most don't do the right side mirror).

I like the idea of the hard drive - wouldn't surprise me if GM got around to offering it for Buick too. Its a marketing ploy and engineering strategy by GM to give its "luxury brand" Cadillac certain features first before Buick gets them. I would think Cadillac has better interior plastics, though.

The test against the Mercedes and Lambo I mentioned did not seem to have cost as a factor since it was a category/price grouping.

It is pointless to differentiate an Enclave from other luxury vehicles by saying it is not "luxury" enough since it has many features such as room, quietness, surefootedness, handling, styling, towing capacity, standard xenons, wood steering wheel, etc. that are BETTER than the so-called luxury brands, including dealer service.

TM

·
Registered
721 Posts
Jimbobwae said:
Yes, there's many "little" things that the luxury brands offer. I wouldn't pay the premium to the those last few things (ie. "the juice isn't worth the squeeze"), but truth be told, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc. have many things the Buick doesn't. Maybe adaptive cruise control, automatic parallel parking, ALL mirrors autodimming, BLUETOOTH (even Ford has them there), on board hard drive for music (see Cadillac), cooled seats (see '09 Traverse...probably '09 Enclave too), a V8, proximity ignition key, ventilated disk breaks, and the list could go on.

snip.........
Just had to chime in on this one. Adaptive cruise-if you need it (i.e. heavy traffic), you shouldn't have cruise turned on. Parallel parking-see latest Audi ads. Auto dimming-the important ones do; when was the last time a car to your right side blinded you? Bluetooth-coming, cooled seats, ditto. Bush signed the death papers for the V8 in December and the Enclave has ventilated discs all around-look again.

As far as what is "true luxury"-to me, that means you can buy whatever you want and not worry about the price. Looking at the folks flocking in to buy these vehicles and what they are comparing it to as well as trading in, the Enclave is a luxury vehicle. Yes, there are a few things missing, but for a "first try", it sure looks like a shot across the bow of a LOT more expensive vehicles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Come on now, I'm not bashing the Enclave, I'm just saying it's not the same type of offering as others higher up. It fits the bill and does so exceptionally well, but there are plenty of extra niceties that people with more dollars than sense would pay for. And isn't that the kind of person a Lamborghini goes for? I'm certainly not one of those and I had to up-sell my wife to move up from the Acadia to the Enclave (which wasn't easy until I meantioned the better warranty and sound treatments).

And as for adaptive cruise control, you don't have to be in heavy traffic to utilize it. Every single person who has driven on an interstate more than once has had an instance of setting the cruise and coming up behind someone driving about 2 to 3 mph slower than them, or having someone going a good bit slower pull in front of them to pass someone right when you're about to pass. Don't get all judgemental, it's something most people would like, it's just "at what expense?"

And I for one, like MANY husbands, would like to keep my wife from ever having to parallel park. Period!

·
Registered
29 Posts
And some of us wives would like to keep our husbands from ever having to parallel park. ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Mom knows her hockey rules for sure, such as:

Jump quickly on loose pucks.

Nice jump on that parallel parking puck, HockeyMom! 
Thank you  :cheers:

She shoots!!  She scores!!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
HockeyMom said:
And some of us wives would like to keep our husbands from ever having to parallel park. ;D
I knew I liked you. ;)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Well, with Saturn our of business, I would say they Outlook is discontinued. ;D

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Little did we realize that the outlook for the Outlook was bleak at that time. ;D

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
You can get an updated Outlook- by visiting your local GMC delaler and checking out the Acadia.

the rear end- taillamps and glass etc are the same..
front end redone for 2013+

1 - 20 of 23 Posts