EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Enclave has been on the top of my list to replace my minivan but having just viewed the video of the Chevy on the traverse forum and I was quite impressed. The exterior lines are close to the Buick which I like much better than the Outlook or Acadia. If the entry price is significantly lower than the Enclave CX FWD and the options I want are selectable, I may be swayed to the Traverse but I must see one and go for a test ride to be sure since the Enclave's ride and looks have impressed me the most so far of the vehicles I have viewed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
If Trav rides like Clave you will be wise to wait, except that if your present mv is plasticky and cardboard laden, even the Trav will be an upgrade. ;D
I would suspect that the biggest difference will be the "Quiet Tuning" aspect. I really notice it now that I have had the Enclave for a while when I ride in another vehicle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read a lot about the quiet tuning of the Buick before I took a test drive. While it was a lot quieter than my minivan which is just being broken in at 162,000 miles. I did not find it significantly quieter than another new car that I drove just prior. I may have built up the quiet tuning feature too much in my mind and raised my expections to an unattainable level. Or maybe I needed to exceed 65mph to appreciate it more.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Rockfish said:
I read a lot about the quiet tuning of the Buick before I took a test drive. While it was a lot quieter than my minivan which is just being broken in at 162,000 miles. I did not find it significantly quieter than another new car that I drove just prior.
Maybe the other car you drove was really quiet but every time I get in the Enclave (every few days) I am blown away by how quiet it is.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
zman said:
Maybe the other car you drove was really quiet but every time I get in the Enclave (every few days) I am blown away by how quiet it is.
I agree, I am constantly amazed with how quiet it drives. One of the very best things about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not find it significantly quieter than another new car that I drove just prior. I may have built up the quiet tuning feature too much in my mind and raised my expections to an unattainable level.
We recently purchased an Enclave for my wife. I normally drive a Lexus IS, and must say that I almost took it in for a service after spending sometime in the Enclave. I seriously thought something was mechanically wrong with my Lexus' engine because of how loud it sounded after being in the Enclave. Nothing was wrong with the Lexus, but I never noticed the engine noise until after being in the Enclave.

I would even say the there is a learning curve for a new Enclave driver because of its quiet tuning and general smoothness. This vehicle does a great job of making one believe they are driving at lower speeds than they are really going. During my first time behind the wheel, I unknowingly took a 20mph corner at a much higher speed and nearly ended up on somebody's lawn.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Couldn't agree more. If you can't notice a difference with how quiet the enclave is compared to other vehicles, you must be hard of hearing. I just took a road trip with my friend in his '07 explorer, and it really took my appreciation for quiet tuning to another level. Not to mention that the ride of the enclave is sooo much nicer and smoother.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I agree you should take a test drive and then decide. I also like the looks of the Traverse but suspect it won't measure up to the Enclave.

When we were looking at the Enclave, and test driving lots of different vehicles, the wife told me I ruined her for driving anything else because the Enclave is so quiet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife and I really like our Enclave. We thought the curves were a lot better looking vs. the other lambda vehicles truck like profile. Even though we purchased a cxl fwd with every options except engine block heater, we both agree the Traverse would have gotten a hard look from us. It would boil down to the price diff. between the Enclave and Traverse. If the diff. were not that much i.e. less than $2000 - 3000 we would still have gotten the enclave. There are some options I really like about the Enclave that we got but I could live witout if the price were right. Either way, the lambdas have made my wife leave Toyota and Honda. I'm getting ready to order a Chevy Malibu on Tuesday. The cost of day care is keeping me from getting the Caddy CTS :(

·
Registered
509 Posts
smokeyy said:
I'm getting ready to order a Chevy Malibu on Tuesday. The cost of day care is keeping me from getting the Caddy CTS :(
Awesome! :thumb:

After thinking for quite some time an Enclave would be the next new vehicle to show up in mom's parking space, she did a 360 and decided she had to have a new Malibu. For a volume car, it wasn't easy, and was actually like shopping for an Enclave...but after a couple of weeks, found one, got a great price and bye-bye "the bus" Suburban went. She LOVES the Malibu.

As a magazine or two has said, with both the Malibu and CTS being new for 2008 and so highly revered...if you can't or don't want to spend CTS money, the Malibu is similarly "wow" for its particular class & price range.

Back to Traverse vs. Enclave...I doubt it will take much of any bite into the Enclave, but will steal some Acadia sales and also the Outlook (then again, the Outlook doesn't sell in the first place), and will have a LOT of totally new people trading in their Trailblazers and such, and also a lot of cars because of the very wide price/model/options span, and Chevy look.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Let's just say it isn't going to help Enclave sales.
If it looks like a Enclave, drives like a Enclave, has close to the same equipment as a Enclave, and cost maybe $5,000 or more less (loaded LTZ vs loaded loaded CXL) than an Enclave then it's going to be close enough to a Enclave for a lot of folks!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think the Outlook has more to worry about - the most Enclave buyers like the extra touches over the Acadia and Outlook IMHO (wood steering wheel, quiet tuning, classy styling) - The Traverse is a nice looking vehicle but I would imagine it will have little impact on Enclave sales (unless you have to wait 8 weeks for your Clave - where is the local Chevy dealer? :) )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nickyd said:
Couldn't agree more. If you can't notice a difference with how quiet the enclave is compared to other vehicles, you must be hard of hearing. I just took a road trip with my friend in his '07 explorer, and it really took my appreciation for quiet tuning to another level. Not to mention that the ride of the enclave is sooo much nicer and smoother.
Now that is funny ;D Wouldn't that give a whole new meaning to "Quiet Tuning for the hard of hearing" ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One other feature I really like about the Enclave is the comfort of the front seats (the cloth ones). I doubt the Traverse would allow the budget to include these types of seats.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the Taverse will have the same effect on Enclave sales as the new Malibu has on Cadillac CTS sales!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
bsox said:
I agree, I am constantly amazed with how quiet it drives. One of the very best things about it.
Until you reach 65 mph - I get lots of wind noise starting there...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
rockyp said:
Until you reach 65 mph - I get lots of wind noise starting there...
Leaks or just general external wind noise? I notice no issues above 65 MPH but people are beginning to complain about air leaks around the driver door. I don't have any leaks but I have a rattle that I have pinpointed to be in the door seal, about mid-door front to back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
While the Traverse won't be up to par with the Enclave, I think it will bite into the Enclave some. Between the availability of the Enclave and the lower price of the Traverse, I'm sure there will be some that will go that route.

It's not a bad looking car, though not quite as nice as the 'Clave. Still, if I could save 5-7k on a comparably equipped Traverse, I think I might just sell the Quiet Tuning down the river (after all, the kids make a lot of noise too and the Buick only does so much for that noise).

Plus, Buick really needs to belly up to the bar with it's features. I LOVE that the Traverse will offer COOLED front seats (as well as heated) and the back-up camera screen in the rear-view mirror, so that you don't have to have the Nav to get a backup camera. Looks like GM still has the same blind interior designers working, this time on the Traverse (black, tan, AND aluminum!). I'm waiting to see what other interior options they have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think that the Enclave has to worry about the Traverse. The 09 Enclave will have everything and more that the Traverse has (on paper) today. Everybody is worried about Lambda cannibalization but I think that they are missing the point. You know who really has to worry? Toyota (Highlander), Honda (Pilot) Dodge (Journey) or Ford (Edge/Explorer). I will buy either an Enclave or a Traverse in 09. I won't even visit a dealership for the others based on what I have seen. Buick has taken share from Lexus/Acura and others. I think that the 09 and 10 models will get more features to keep those gains.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I was shopping for my Enclave I looked at the other two and they were priced very close for a similarly equiped vehicle. I preferred the Enclave styling and quiet. I doubt the Traverse will be much cheaper.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts