EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently bought a new 2015 Enclave and two weeks ago I had a rock hit the windshield. In all my years of owning a vehicle Ive never had a crack develop because of a rock. Now you may say that I am lucky but even my previous Chevy Uplander that I owned for 10 years never had one (plenty of chips that Ive filled but never a crack)
My question for all of you is the rock hit the very outside exposed edge of the windshield right by the drivers side door about 6" up from the hood, all my previous vehicles had a rubber gasket covering this edge all the way around but it seems that GM has decided to forgo this extra protection and not have one that protects the leading edge of the glass. Can anyone else look at their previous year Enclaves and tell me if this is the case for your models as well. I cant find any photos on line that give a clear enough image to see.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Windshield crack, Opinion needed.

I checked my 2008 Enclave - no rubber and edge of the glass is exposed. Same for the back window. You might want to take it to a glass place as they have transparent treatments for cracks and knicks in the glass that are permanent and transparent such that you can't even tell that the glass was fixed. I had a stone hit on my windshield, had it fixed years ago and you still can't see where the fix is. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hmm, even a guy I know who works at a glass place said that having the edge exposed like that is a design flaw, That is by far the weakest point in a windshield and should never be exposed. I walked through the parking lot lat week and found only one other vehicle that was this way all the others have a cover that protects that area.

·
Registered
61 Posts

My 14 E does not have anything protecting the glass edge. One of the first things I noticed the 1st time I washed it was the dirt and bugs at the top of the windshield on the white paint. I use a soft tooth brush to clean. I have worked in manufacturing (Engineering) all my working life and I know the pressures of keeping costs competitive but sometimes it doesn't make for a happy customer. Bean counters usually win.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Im kind of upset about this given what these Enclaves cost that they would do such a lousy job protecting this. I only have 3000mi on the OD :eek:hno:

·
Registered
733 Posts

A one or two dollar piece of rubber/vinyl won't keep the edge from getting chipped or catching a rock big enough to cause a crack. And bugs and their corresponging juices will get smashed on the windshield regardless of the way the windshield is installed. I wouldn't worry or fret about it one minute. Most newer vehicles are made this way, not just your Enclaves. And my 60 thousand dollar King Ranch has the same type of soundproofed windshield with no stripping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

rexster said:
A one or two dollar piece of rubber/vinyl won't keep the edge from getting chipped or catching a rock big enough to cause a crack.
Have to disagree, plus the rock did not do much damage to the edge (the impact point is very small) so not likely is was very big at all. Im going by what the guy at the glass place told me as Im sure hes seen alot of windshields.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You must not be paying attention at all. Most if not all automakers haven't been using gasket type seal/trim for years.

Not a design flaw, it's for a nice clean and areo look. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ckta said:
You must not be paying attention at all. Most if not all automakers haven't been using gasket type seal/trim for years.

Not a design flaw, it's for a nice clean and areo look. :eek:hno:
Maybe so but its a really bad idea as it now exposes that edge of the glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Tonyvdb
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing