EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, temps for us northern dwellers have hit sub-zero's F where frost on the inside windshield is more common. When this happens I get the defrost going as soon as the engine starts, and in a few minutes the center and passenger side begins to defrost.(one of the nice characteristics of the Enclave is how fast the engine comes up to temp). However, airflow directed to the drivers side seems to be much less, and takes an additional 5-6 minutes before defrosting starts. Has anyone else noticed this pattern or figured out how to change the drivers side airlow? Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yes I have noticed this. I have thought that with such a massive front window, that the length of the defroster vents could have been a lot longer to cover more of the window...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've only had frost on the inside once so far but the passenger side did clear sooner than the drivers..too bad its not the other way around.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Theother day we noticed that the pax heater goes off when you put on the defroster. Apparently, the defroster takes the air that would go to the pax side and uses that as defrsot air. T or F?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll betcha if that little sensor was on the passenger side of the vent the driver side would clear sooner.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
JustDriftin said:
I'll betcha if that little sensor was on the passenger side of the vent the driver side would clear sooner.
I wonder if this is true, but I think the sensor is only for the auto mode, so am not sure defrost is hooked in to this, but you may be right, great thought for sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just think the sensor blocks the flow of air to that side. The end of the vent is covered up by the sensor. Maybe if they put it in the middle both sides would be the same. I wonder? I wonder about useless stuff all the time. For instance does metallic paint weigh more than reqular paint. Hmmm, I wonder.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
JustDriftin said:
I just think the sensor blocks the flow of air to that side. The end of the vent is covered up by the sensor. Maybe if they put it in the middle both sides would be the same. I wonder? I wonder about useless stuff all the time. For instance does metallic paint weigh more than reqular paint. Hmmm, I wonder.
Yeah me too, sometimes I wonder whay I bother to wonder?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote from: JustDriftin on Today at 09:08:42 PM
I just think the sensor blocks the flow of air to that side. The end of the vent is covered up by the sensor. Maybe if they put it in the middle both sides would be the same.

That's what I first thought..the sensor. But looking into the air vent, both ends have an equal blanked off section. The air duct comes up between the blank sections. Go figure. They must not have experienced the "frost" condition in their cold weather testing. Personally, I think it's a bit of a safety issue for the driver. Maybe I'll just carry an ice scrapper on the dash like the good old days.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry to say I never experienced yet. It's been +12 degrees, at the least here, so far.

I recall a company that makes a "No Fog" cloth to wipe on INSIDE winshiled. Gotta believe it would help rid the moisture causing the inner frost as well? Sold in most auto stores.

Never had inside frost except in my old, old cars that had a leak or weatherseal problem. The humidity is real low in winter, around here, anyway. Where's that inner moisture coming from? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Hidden leak???

Have you read this link/post? http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2196.0

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote from Smokin SRX. 2/23/2008
Never had inside frost except in my old, old cars that had a leak or weatherseal problem. The humidity is real low in winter, around here, anyway. Where's that inner moisture coming from? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Hidden leak???[/color]

Hopefully the moisture is not the dreaded sunroof or roof rail leaks. I've had my Enclave out in some pretty severe rain and in the H.P.carwashes....without leaks. If I see those "No Fog" clothes I'll try it out. Thanks.

From my experience, the inside frost is usually due to leaving the car parked outside when temperatures are well below freezing. Before parking you've been driving with the heater going, and relative humidity in the vehicle increases from the people load inside and/or moisture from snow melting off boots, clothing, and water on your floor mats etc.(even though outside humidity is real low) This higher inside humidity remains locked in the vehicle after you leave it. When the freezing outside temp cools the glass temperature below inside dew point, the moisture at the surface immediately freezes(frost).
The defroster issue on my Enclave is simply a diffuser issue. It directs more air to the passenger side windshield than the drivers side for reasons I don't currently understand, but speculate originate in the diffuser design or air supply inlet position.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Clavedweller said:
Quote from Smokin SRX. 2/23/2008
Never had inside frost except in my old, old cars that had a leak or weatherseal problem. The humidity is real low in winter, around here, anyway. Where's that inner moisture coming from? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Hidden leak???[/color]

Hopefully the moisture is not the dreaded sunroof or roof rail leaks. I've had my Enclave out in some pretty severe rain and in the H.P.carwashes....without leaks. If I see those "No Fog" clothes I'll try it out. Thanks.

From my experience, the inside frost is usually due to leaving the car parked outside when temperatures are well below freezing. Before parking you've been driving with the heater going, and relative humidity in the vehicle increases from the people load inside and/or moisture from snow melting off boots, clothing, and water on your floor mats etc.(even though outside humidity is real low) This higher inside humidity remains locked in the vehicle after you leave it. When the freezing outside temp cools the glass temperature below inside dew point, the moisture at the surface immediately freezes(frost).
The defroster issue on my Enclave is simply a diffuser issue. It directs more air to the passenger side windshield than the drivers side for reasons I don't currently understand, but speculate originate in the diffuser design or air supply inlet position.
I compliment your analysis, but then why do we all not have the problem of ice on the windshield? Perhaps you bring more snow into car with you? Is it fairly persistent?? Interesting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You need to make sure your button is not set to recirculate. If it is you will have fogging problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is an "infrequent problem" because the Clave is usually parked in a garage. As I mentioned in prior posts, the root problem is redirecting more airflow from the defrost vent to the driver side. Something I'll think about before next winter......low priority/concern.

As far as the re-circ mode botton goes, I only use this for fast summer cool downs. If I'm not mistaken re-circ mode is not available when defrost or foot well air flow is selected. Also, I believe the re-circ mode is only available with A/C , and A/C is thermally interlocked to not operate when outside temps are below 40F. Inside window frost is only a below freezing phenomena. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Clavedweller said:
Recently, temps for us northern dwellers have hit sub-zero's F where frost on the inside windshield is more common. When this happens I get the defrost going as soon as the engine starts, and in a few minutes the center and passenger side begins to defrost.(one of the nice characteristics of the Enclave is how fast the engine comes up to temp). However, airflow directed to the drivers side seems to be much less, and takes an additional 5-6 minutes before defrosting starts. Has anyone else noticed this pattern or figured out how to change the drivers side airlow? Thanks
Very old thread, but I searched for this and the OP who I'm quoting described exactly what happened to me two days ago. I drove to my choir practice, vehicle had been up to temp., then after a little over an hour, I get in to come home and there is frost on the inside of the windshield. I turn on defroster and just like described above, the center and right side defrost sooner. I had to "Detroit lean" for a mile or two. :D (Sorry if that term is politically incorrect for 2014, but it's what people would say....probably in the 70's - 80's to describe someone driving while leaning to the center of the car )

I also wonder why the front defrost couldn't have been extended across the whole edge of the dash? Wonder what's behind or under the top of the dash that may be taking up space so this could not have been designed that way. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I haven't had issues with frost on the inside. Sorry to hear that Kids! BUT, I have noticed that when freezing rain is hitting my windshield that the far right lower corner of the glass is the first to freeze up and have build up of ice on the wiper. I turn the defroster on and it just doesn't get that area melted enough to use the wiper to clear it off.... ???

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
cfedor, I've experienced what you've described. My Subaru Tribeca has the same problem. Neither car has the frost up issue that Kids mentioned, though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi,
I agree with kidsenclave.
I live in northern Ontario, Canada and the heat thrown to the front window is embarrassing to say the least.
My vehicle was in the shop for 2 days getting new brakes and things, so I rented a vehicle.
It was a 2014 Nissan Frontier ... tiny little truck and yet the front defrost vent was over 3 feet wide ???
Don't know what they were thinking when they designed the front vent for the Enclave.
I'm thinking of going to a 2014 Enclave just before I retire and was sad to see the defrost vent is still miniscule for the job it's required to do.
Darn Winter :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
JustDriftin said:
You're inside my head!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts