EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing that kenclave and enclave8j* are the only ones that may be able to answer this, but here goes..

I have noticed on our Enclave that the perimeter of the windshield is exposed along the sides and top of the windshield. The weatherstripping appears to be behind the windshield. This leaves the edge of the glass exposed and not covered by some trim/gasket piece. The base of the windshield is covered and not exposed.

I can only assume this is normal since we have had no water ingression issues?

Are any other vehicles designed this way?

I was rather surprised to see the exposed edge of the glass when I looked at the windshield last night.

Thanks for any insight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
zman said:
I am guessing that kenclave and enclave8j* are the only ones that may be able to answer this, but here goes..

I have noticed on our Enclave that the perimeter of the windshield is exposed along the sides and top of the windshield. The weatherstripping appears to be behind the windshield. This leaves the edge of the glass exposed and not covered by some trim/gasket piece. The base of the windshield is covered and not exposed.

I can only assume this is normal since we have had no water ingression issues?

Are any other vehicles designed this way?

I was rather surprised to see the exposed edge of the glass when I looked at the windshield last night.

Thanks for any insight.
Maybe it is done to reduce windnoise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll partially answer my own question.

I had to go to my dealership late today to pick up my owners manual, which was not shipped with the vehicle apparently. I checked out an Acadia on the showfloor and the windshield was designed the same as my Enclave. This is the first time I have seen a windshield this way but maybe I just have not looked close enough at other vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
I dont really understand what you are talking about?? Could you post a picture and explain more maybe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Yes, there are other vehicles with exposed glass like you described. They are sealed from the inside. :blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post a picture when I get time tomorrow. Basically the perimeter of the windshield is exposed - you see the edges of the glass. Most cars I have seen have weatherstripping running around the perimeter of the windshield, thus hiding the edge of the glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Is it exposed on the inside or out??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Outside. If you look at the windshield from outside the vehicle the edge of the glass is exposed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Ok i understand now! Thanks.. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I think we have resolved that this is indeed "normal", but I did post two photos in my gallery anyway trying to show what I was talking about. Note that the external weatherstripping stops near the lower corner of the windshield.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
This is the first time I am hearing about it too. I have always seen winshshield with some kind of surrounding to cover the seal.

Does it look ugly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
No, it doesn't look ugly, it just looks different if you're looking directly at it, but it's been around for awhile. :blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rocketman said:
No, it doesn't look ugly, it just looks different if you're looking directly at it, but it's been around for awhile. :blob:
What other vehicles are like this, and why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
It's probably cheaper since they don't have to put trim all the way around the glass. I can't name a specific vehicle that has that but I have seen them. :blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
rocketman said:
It's probably cheaper since they don't have to put trim all the way around the glass. I can't name a specific vehicle that has that but I have seen them. :blob:
WELL, I SAY IF THE WINDOW IS NOT FLYING OUT :angel: IT MUST BE OK ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
How noticeable is it? Can it be easily spotted?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It took me a couple of days to notice it so I would say that it is not noticeable enough to be an issue. I have pictures in my gallery showing it. The photo's ticner58 just posted in the gallery also shows it in one of the frontal shots on page 3.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Finally, I got a call from my dealer, he has an Eclave on the floor. I will be stopping on my way to home tonight :blob: I will also checkout the Windshield. Sorry no camera with me. Cellphone cam will be just waste of time :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
looking at tincer58 pic i think it looks better than having a seal, cleaner lines!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top