EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the first snow fall not far north of me I thought now was the time to buy some winter tires for the Enclave. I started by looking on the web but drew a blank . No one was offering a tire to suit the 19 inch wheel. After much research and calling local dealer I have only managed to get sizes giving - in some cases - quite a large differential. 225/55/19
I am interested in others solutions to this.

I called GM Canada and asked if they could help - with tire manufacturer or whether a set of steel wheels in the 18 inch size were being offered - nothing was offered.

What are others doing - AWD is not 4wd and all season tires are not winter spec. - last thing I want is stuck or off into the shrubs - first one embarrassing - the second expensive.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I have found no options either for the 19" size. I have not tried to find an 18" match yet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is appalling that this CUV can not be fitted with winter tires and I would think that this is putting all owners in the snow belt at risk. I have posted this to see if pressure can be put on GM to come up with a suitable wheel tire package. If I cannot fit tires to increase my margin of safety and grip - are they liable if I cannot get home though lack of traction or crash because my tires are all weather and not performing within the manufacturers specification for grip at known low temperatures.

I am very upset with this and if I had known this would not have bought this vehicle.

If I cannot use my navigation while moving for safety reasons - why would they not offer winter tires - I think that this is a much bigger safety issue - well it is for me in Canada.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have tried every internet source I could find to no avail. This will be my first year without dedicated winter tires. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Availability of winter tires is the responsibility of the tire manufacturers, not the vehicle manufacturers. Winter tire availability, especially for specialty vehicles like the Enclave, is driven by consumer demand. With the Enclave so new on the market, and as popular as it is, the availability will eventually be there(I hope).
I trust that this issue for you will be quickly resolved.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
122 Posts
:ditto: Drive within reason and you will get home safely.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
asgard said:
Well with the first snow fall not far north of me I thought now was the time to buy some winter tires for the Enclave. I started by looking on the web but drew a blank . No one was offering a tire to suit the 19 inch wheel. After much research and calling local dealer I have only managed to get sizes giving - in some cases - quite a large differential. 225/55/19
I am interested in others solutions to this.

I called GM Canada and asked if they could help - with tire manufacturer or whether a set of steel wheels in the 18 inch size were being offered - nothing was offered.

What are others doing - AWD is not 4wd and all season tires are not winter spec. - last thing I want is stuck or off into the shrubs - first one embarrassing - the second expensive.

Call Tirerack.com and they'll get you a bolt on replacement set! But they'll be 18" wheels of same outer diameter, so no speedo adjustment needed (19" is the inner wheel hole measurement!).

While this is not a perfect solution, it will "get you home". ;) You would also have to get 4 new TPM sensors from them, or dealer, as well! Otherwise "alerts " will constantly appear on dashboard.

The good news is: all the tires will last longer by splitting the duty life, you will get some good choices of tires in 18", you can just bolt on easily, and those very expensive 19" Mich's will last much longer! (payback on 18" expenses)

Bad news is: Enclave may not look quite as good w/o the nice chrome 19" wheels!

Let us know! :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
MRBUICK
Michelin had no problem making all-season tires for the Enclave, and I think it is reasonable to expect that Enclave owners would be interested in winter tires.
Ironically, Michelin makes a "Latitude" line of winter tires in other sizes.
Anyone who Po Pos the idea of winter tires has never experienced the difference they make in low traction winter conditions.
Also, congrats on your appt as board mod ... maybe you can tame you-know-who! ;)

G

·
newtobuick said:
MRBUICK
Michelin had no problem making all-season tires for the Enclave, and I think it is reasonable to expect that Enclave owners would be interested in winter tires.
Ironically, Michelin makes a "Latitude" line of winter tires in other sizes.
Anyone who Po Pos the idea of winter tires has never experienced the difference they make in low traction winter conditions.
Also, congrats on your appt as board mod ... maybe you can tame you-know-who! ;)

NEVER. LOL

i have never had a need for winter tires so i do not know how much they help, or how, isnt rubber on the road all you need. all i need is some muddin tires and im happy

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Winter tires make a massive difference, the tire rubber composition is suited to the temperatures it operates in , performance equals sticky - good grip, high corner speed etc . If the tire cannot reach its operating temperature it is not gripping the road as well and slides and skids result. I have always had winter tires and they are very noticeable when you drive. I have just moved to Canada from the UK and as I traveled throughout Europe it was a legal requirement in Germany and other countries to have them fitted between Nov and April - if not heavy fines were issued. As such the manufacturers in the handbook stipulate tire sizes for winter .I am more than competent to drive in snow being a Police Class 1 driver, and as I am not looking to use my car in a closed road stage rally , I used to do that in an Audi Quattro turbo.

It is just short sighted GM policy not to have thought this one through. It is a safety issue.

During my call with GM Canada they banged on about how they couldn't recommend changing wheel size or anything like that. I asked why they could not just say that putting the same wheel and tire combination as the 18 inch equipped car would not work - no reply.

If you manufacture a car - hang the quality of ride on a tire manufacturer - Michelin - why not suggest/insist that they also produce a matching winter tire. Just seems sensible.

G

·
yea, but cant that be compensated by good driving?

in the off road world, 2wd will get you through some tuff stuff. 4wd compensates for a beginner off roader. i think snow is the same way, plus the main drive wheels have the weight of the engine so that helps the most.

out of the little snow we get here (if were lucky we get 3 inches in one day and thats it for the whole year) my 4wd yukon in 2wd does fine, i went to northern va last year for a week to take a break in december (like i always do) to go skiing, we were in the yukon and did fine with regular AT tires even going up 3% grades. now my mud tires increase traction all over and i leave those on year round, so that compensates for this year, but when i first got it i kept it bone stock

·
Registered
108 Posts
I couldn't agree more with those who stress the importance of appropriate tires for snow and cold weather traction. No matter how good the vehicle, the only thing connecting it to the road are those four relatively small tire contact patches. Even if the all season tire compound performs reasonably well in cold temperatures, those 19" Michelins are tuned for quiet and don't seem to have a very agressive tread pattern for gripping snow.

My search for alternatives on TireRack has turned up nothing in a dedicated winter tire to exactly match either the 255/60 19" or 255/65 18" rubber, both of which share an outside diameter of about 31 inches. Expanding the search to other sizes with the same diameter reveals two alternatives. The Bridgestone Blizzak is available in a 255/70 17" size which has the same tread width and diameter, if a set of 17 inch wheels can be found for the Enclave. The Dunlop Grandtrek comes in a 275/60 18" which has the same 31" diameter but another 10mm of tread width. Some of you Enclave owners might want to check if another 4/10 of an inch of tread on the inside of the tire would pose clearance problems when the front wheels are at full steering lock or the suspension is compressed.

We haven't placed our order for an Enclave yet, and even though we're not in Canada this is a matter of serious concern, if not an actual deal-breaker.

·
Registered
509 Posts
While winter tires are a great added benefit--even magazines add such combo when necessary for their long-termers--they are FAR from a necessity. This is almost always an issue with many new vehicle designs, that use new tire sizes, and typically takes at least a little bit more to remedy. I assume at least one manufacturer is working on it.

Would it be great if there were choices in an appropriate size that you could add, if wanted? Yeah. But unless you're really, really in the worst of all scenarios...quality all season tires, on a vehicle that's either FWD or AWD and with stability and traction control systems will keep you going steadily just about anywhere.

OEM manufacturers test vehicles in the worst possible conditions using the same kind of OEM tires and such that the vehicle will come equipped with, and they're set up for such equipment & parameters.

Of course, that's just my view, on the situation, and having grown up in mountainous blizzard conditions yearly, with a variety of vehicles :thumb:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
OK guys, here's the story, to add to your story! I just spoke to Tirerack (ext. 314 ,Vance?) and they have Bridgesone Blizzaks, (which are like Kryptonite to snow/ice) in 265/60/18 Q speed. They would result in a 1 mph difference on odometer @ 65MPH, and are 1/2 inch shorter, bur 1/2 inch fatter, compared to the 19". They say it will fit! Only $149 each!!

Here's the problem. They have no extra rims yet! Dealer can get 18" OE rims (aluminum type) for Enclave, but they're asking $289 each, PLUS $50 each TPMS sensor!! That's about $1500. plus programming fee for TPMS (pressure sensors) into car, at each seasonal switch. (maybe $65?)

While that ain't no chump change, I have personally spent $2500 on a set of wheels and tires myself! (and said I'd never do it again??) BUT.......offset the then gained, extra long wear life, of the VERY expensive 19" Mich's, and some good savings appear! (maybe about $300-700 in "wear savings?? Just my guess!) Cause you store them in the winter months!! The Blizzaks are good for 20-25K miles at best! Soft rubber wears FAST! Put them on late, take off early! Maybe 2-4 seasons depending on you!

Bottom line...when all is said and done, spend about $1,000-1200 out of pocket (with anticipated savings on OE Michelin's) and do it every 20K miles or so? If you gotta have them, this should work! :thumb:

PS.....I bet Ebay has some cheaper rims from someone who upgraded to 19" car, or a wrecking/salvage yard, from a totaled Acadia/Enclave in 18" ????

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with a set of Blizzak DM-Z3 winter tires in a 235/65R18 and that was the only thing close. For you guys with 19"rims..............I would watch eBay for a set of Acadia rims and tires to use as winter rims. I just got a set with brand new tires for $307.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
axiama said:
Oh my gosh, Smokin SRX you're famous! You've been published! Can I get your autograph?
Sure! But I'll still pay $1.40 for a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts!! ;)

PS................They never mentioned the "savings" I talked about, gained from having the OE tires last 25-30% longer, because they sit in the garage all winter!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey smokin' congrats on your new fame. ;D Actually this thread has been interesting. I'm getting a big taste of winter driving these past few days, and I tell you, I am so far VERY impressed with the handling of Halle. I haven't slipped at all. The AWD seems to be doing it's job. (Glad I changed my order to AWD!) We are planning on getting the tires siped once the big crowds at the tire stores slow down, which should help with traction. But so far, (knock on wood), I really am impressed.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Halle's mom said:
... We are planning on getting the tires siped once the big crowds at the tire stores slow down, which should help with traction.
Siping? Wow.. I just spent a half hour Googling that one. Given I can't get snow tires for my 19 inch wheels, that looks like a great idea. I do wonder about the noise though (Michelin worked hard to create a super quiet tire for the Enclave). Of course those Blizzak's would probably sound like a can of rocks. I am guessing I will get the "third eye in my forehead look" from local tire dealers when I ask them to "Sipe my Michelin's"..

Here is an article on what Siping is for our FL friends. (Who might actually benefit from a good Siping since it reportedly improves braking, improves traction, increases tire life, and.. possibly makes a tire quieter).

http://www.4x4review.com/tech/siping.asp

1 - 20 of 35 Posts