EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the snow starting to fall in the West, has anyone heard or thought of options to chains? I really don't want to set up a set of studs for a few trips, and Spike Spiders for this size wheels are over $400. And the CHP are going to want to see something for traction when the roads get icy.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I think I read it in the user manual not to use chains.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is from the manual:

CAUTION:
Do not use tire chains. There is not
enough clearance. Tire chains used on a
vehicle without the proper amount of
clearance can cause damage to the
brakes, suspension or other vehicle parts.
The area damaged by the tire chains
could cause you to lose control of your
vehicle and you or others may be injured
in a crash.
Use another type of traction device only if
its manufacturer recommends it for use
on your vehicle and tire size combination
and road conditions. Follow that
manufacturer’s instructions. To help avoid
damage to your vehicle, drive slowly,
readjust or remove the device if it is
contacting your vehicle, and do not spin
your vehicle’s wheels. If you do find
traction devices that will fit, install them
on the front tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had read the manual and was aware of the chain prohibition. I am trying to find out if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for alternatives.

·
Registered
389 Posts
laurico said:
With the snow starting to fall in the West, has anyone heard or thought of options to chains? I really don't want to set up a set of studs for a few trips, and Spike Spiders for this size wheels are over $400. And the CHP are going to want to see something for traction when the roads get icy.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I was told that GM has that warning for all their cars. They don't want complaints, but the cars are not necessarily unable to use chains.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thought I posted this, but there are a few different threads on this very important subject, so here it is again.

I purchased some Tire Spray that works incredibly well for ice and snow. Wears off the tire in 20-30 miles. Does no harm.

But they also carry some very interesting other options that look compatible with the Enclave. I think CHP would approve the Snow Claws they sell! Their largest size will fit the Enclave tires but I'm NOT POSITIVE about clearance, even though they are very low profile. My gut says it will fit!! Sale price is $149 plus $40 oversize charge for Enclaves = $189 per set of 2 tires!! Claimed install is 2-4 minutes per tire!!!

If you get, please post.

http://sports-imports.stores.yahoo.net/sncltrsy.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just watched the video and it looks like a suitable system but...
on the internetpage they do not offer this for the R19 size of the Enclave
I just hope someone makes "real" winter tyres before next winter is coming. In several European countries its mandatory to have them installed like from November through February.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
This has been discussed before - search for "Carry chains". As I recall, there are some cable chains (I think available from Firestone stores) that will fit. It isn't winter tires, but it is traction.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the 18" Goodyears on my Enclave and we had 25" of wet heavy snow this weekend. I had absolutely no problem whatsoever navigating the unplowed roads in my neighborhood. Maybe the 19's aren't very good in the snow, but I can see absolutely no reason to put snow tires on my Enclave. Anyone else with the Goodyears out there want to let us know how you faired in the snow?

·
Registered
83 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Good evening HB. You are fortunate to be in Germany and to get to drive the Enclave on some awesome roadways. We never spent much time up North - Frankfurt being the farthest. Last visit 10 years ago included Wurtzburg near you. I'm wondering if to got those Pirelli Scorpion Ice+Snow R19 255/55 111H's you wrote about last year, or are you sticking with the Michelins. If you must have snow tires, why not consider having 17's for the rims so that you get a larger side walls and better resistance to icy hazards? Just thinking. Good luck. Somebody ought to be able to find out for you if/where other Enclaves may be in Europe. :thumb:
As the car will be only delivered next week I did not have to worry about the snow tyres this winter. I will have an eye on the winter tyre subject and check the listings of the large manufactures once in a while. If I find anything perfect I will post it. If nothing else shows up I probably will buy the Pirelli. Actually the Michelin have the legal status of winter tyres here as they have the approval sign on the side wall ( M+S). However in our conditions and in the conditions in Finland where I go for business in winter it s more save to have real winter tyres evenon a AWD. Thanks for the hit with the 17 rims but I would need to find some that I can legally put on the car, that s way more difficult than in the USA - I mean I find rims easy but they have to be approved by th manufacturer for the car. About the city of Ennepetal - it s a little smaller city between Düsseldorf and Dortmund about 50mls north of Cologne (www.ennepetal.de)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts