EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone bought and tried that WipeNew product on their vehicle.
I bought it and am now leery about it's possible effects on the vehicle after a while.
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've seen some comments posted on the Avalanche websites (I'm an Admin on one), and for the most part, the reviews have been positive. I've not seen any long-term reviews yet indicating how long the product lasts. The cladded Avalanches have lots of unpainted plastic, which severely oxidizes after a year or two. The best product found so far, bar none, to restore/protect the cladding is a product called Refinish Restorer. It's pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way. You can buy it on eBay; some people have been successful at finding local body shop supply stores that carry it.

I've had a can for about 4 years now, and have only applied the product twice. I applied two coats the first time, and only needed one the second. My truck is garaged so it doesn't get as much exposure as if it sat outside all the time. Most people who do not have a garage indicate they have to do an application annually to keep the plastic looking like new. The three coats I have applied only used about 1/4 of the can, so I figure the can will last as long as I own the Avalanche (which at this point will be forever).

Some Avalanche club members have used the Refinish Restorer on the interior plastics and they reported favorable results. I would personally be hesitant to use any product like this on treated/painted surfaces.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There was a fair amount of discussion over on Autogeek when WipeNew came out a year or two a go. It's an solvent based acrylic polymer sealant that (after looking at the msds sheets) is nearly identical to another product called Permashine that has been around for years and mostly used by body shops, they simply offer WipeNew in a smaller more convenient size. If your plastics are heavily faded you may need to use the entire bottle (2-3 applications) to get that "new" look and WipeNew is advertised to offer two years of "protection" for "most" vehicles. Some have used it and liked it but there are several other trim sealants available that are more economical and can be used on a wider variety of applications (wheels, rubber seals, textured AND smooth plastics)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Is this something that can also be used to restore faded headlamp assemblies and protect them from UV damage?

·
Registered
36 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Is this something that can also be used to restore faded headlamp assemblies and protect them from UV damage?
WipeNew does come with a headlight prep pad to remove oxidation but most have said they get better results using the meguiars headlight restoration kit and then use the WipeNew to protect the polished lenses. Just remember WipeNew needs 24 hrs to cure before it can be exposed water or moisture (or heavy dust or it will imbed in the coating before it fully hardens). They claim UV protection for 1-2 years when used on a properly prepped headlight.
For the money I think there are other options that are more versatile, numerous other coating (most can be found on autogeek.net) that can be used on trim, paint, glass, and wheels and cost less (and are easier to apply)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Thanks for the response. My 7 year old Subaru Tribeca's headlamp assemblies are beginning to haze up a bit, so I'd like to restore them before the issue becomes more significant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Thanks for the response. My 7 year old Subaru Tribeca's headlamp assemblies are beginning to haze up a bit, so I'd like to restore them before the issue becomes more significant.
Did my brothers Outback a few weeks ago with the meguiars kit, only took about 10 minutes per light doing them by hand and they look like new. The meguiars protectant needs to be applied every few weeks so we used Klasse (acrylic paint sealant) so he should be good for about a year.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
I was worried about the possibility of it drying the vinyl and possibly causing cracking or worse.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
IpsDrew said:
:happy: Some guys swear by it. It essentially works like a fine polish but needs a lot more elbow grease to get results. For heavy oxidation and yellowing you would still need to sand it.
Yep, Agreed.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I wonder how Gojo hand cleaner with pumice would work for cleaning up headlights? I bet it would work great.

·
Registered
592 Posts
BadAV said:
I've seen some comments posted on the Avalanche websites (I'm an Admin on one), and for the most part, the reviews have been positive. I've not seen any long-term reviews yet indicating how long the product lasts. The cladded Avalanches have lots of unpainted plastic, which severely oxidizes after a year or two. The best product found so far, bar none, to restore/protect the cladding is a product called Refinish Restorer. It's pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way. You can buy it on eBay; some people have been successful at finding local body shop supply stores that carry it.

I've had a can for about 4 years now, and have only applied the product twice. I applied two coats the first time, and only needed one the second. My truck is garaged so it doesn't get as much exposure as if it sat outside all the time. Most people who do not have a garage indicate they have to do an application annually to keep the plastic looking like new. The three coats I have applied only used about 1/4 of the can, so I figure the can will last as long as I own the Avalanche (which at this point will be forever).
Thanks for that info. I ordered some on Monday and it arrived today. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. It really does seem like a great product and the Avalanche guys can't stop praising it. 45 bucks is steep but not if it delivers as promised.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Applied it today. Will do! Looks awesome but that is not the test. The Test is how long will it last. I went a little over board on the cleaning prep and on painters tape masking of areas so it took me about 4 hours. Lots of black on the MKS...lower body cladding, surround around the fog lights, outside mirrors surround, and others. Honestly I went overboard. Probably could have been done in 2 hours if I were not so anal retentive.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Again, :worthless:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Agree...... tomorrow I will snap some....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Forget to snap photos Sunday, so I took a quick one early this morning at my office. Not the best photo, and without "before" pics to compare, not all that informative. I will tell you that I washed the car yesterday and while I usually need to apply trim shine, there was absolutely no need. It looks really good and cannot be wiped off with a rag like regular trim shiner. I think its a winner. In the photo you can see the black on the lower rear bumper valence and lower side skirts BELOW the thin lower chrome strip on the doors. It is actually so dark now that you cannot even see it in the photo below the lower chrome strip - it just looks like it blends into the black pavement now. That was part of my goal. The black is very black, deep, and somewhat shiny now as compared to before when it was dark grey/light matt black.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts