EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up.
Recently my car had been sitting at an airport parking lot for a week. We found it heavily covered in snow and ice.
We sat in the car for approx 30 mins with the defroster on trying to clear the winshield sufficiently and when it was about 70% clear, we turned on the wipers. They began to move then dropped down. We tried the fuse and clearing any ice we could not see to no avail.

Took the Vehicle to the Dealership. The wiper had pulled away from the Motor. They fixed it..but because of location and difficulty reaching the actual motor, it was not a great fix! The wipers did not sit low enough on the window. They did some more 'fine tuning' and decided they needed to order a new motor, which I am still awaiting, 2 weeks later.

Thought I would pass along this concern in case it might help someone else.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hey THX for that heads-up KarenL ! Maybe the E is a little more sensitive than other autos in this area?? My other GM auto would trip a thermal over-load breaker and reset in 30 seconds. But I can see that happeneing under extreme load, if there is a weak spot. Hopefully, yours was a fluke!

Consider us WARNED :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Since the dawn of the windshield wiper (invented by TRICO in Buffalo, NY) it has only been common sense to be sure the wiper arms are free to move in freezing conditions.
Best to:
Lift each wiper arm.
Clear out the area under it with a snow brush or scraper.
"slap" the blades against the windshield to dislodge any clinging ice or snow.
AFTER doing the above, the heated washer fluid is a blessing (iif you have it ;D)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my Husband was outside freezing his hands off doing all that before we even attempted the wipers!!! He broke the scraper getting all the snow and ice out of the trough where it gathers at the base of the windsheild! The entire Windsheild was clear except for the upper extremeties where the wipers do not reach. The Dealer said that it must just have been a lose contact to the Motor and it was just timing that made it breakaway at that moment. I just called them and the part is still backordered and still on rush.

I do have heated washer fluid.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
KarenL said:
Oh my Husband
Interesting - never heard of anyone named "Oh". ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The roads were thankfully dry so we were okay without wipers that night. Would not have been the case were it snowing or roads wet enought to spray us...not sure what we would have done. Needless to say the car was at the Dealership before they even opened with a 'fix me' note on it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I would update..

Today, the wipers went again. Of course JUST AS the biggest storm began!
There was no getting them even back down so I drove home, fortunately only 5 mins away, with no wipers in the snow.

The car has been towed to the Dealership--I have a rental and GM are expressing the new part Monday. Why they didn't do that 3+ weeks ago, not sure?????

I talked to the Service Manager --this is an ongoing issue with the Enclave. The 'fix' usually holds', in my case it did not. They are apologetic...I am not happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts