EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having an issue of my Enclave not starting from time to time. If I turn the ignition back off and try again, sometimes it will start after the first try, sometimes it may take 2 or 3 times. There are times that after it starts, it will stall after 5 seconds of running. I have tried to push on the gear shift thinking it might be some neutral interlock, but there are times it starts without doing this. There is no hard and fast process which I can determine changes the failure to start but it also does not do it all the time. I have gone for 3 or 4 days without trouble and then have issue 5 times in the same day. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet as I figure Murphy will not allow it to not start while it is there. I have a family vacation planned for August and have to get it checked well in advance of that time.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and what the resolution was?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have not had this. Mine starts first time every time. I responded as well since I have been reading all posts on this forum for quite a while now and I do not recall anyone having mentioning that. because of this, I would think there is a definite problem and a dealer visit is indicated although as you say since this is an intermittent problem you may get the dreaded "can't duplicate problem", but at least your visit will be recorded and eventually they will need to do something after enough visits.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine has trouble starting whenever the fuel is low. I usually just "flick" the key to let it auto-start and it normally works fine but the every one of the 5 or 6 times that it didn't start, the tank was on "E"...maybe even the fuel light was on (I don't recall). It always will start the on next try as long as I start it the traditional way (holding the key in the start-position until I hear it start). It's to the point that I wonder if GM did this on purpose as a way to remind you that you need gas....it's that consistent.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not trying to be a smart-a$$ but its not really a good idea to let your tank go that low as the fuel pump will be sucking up any junk/water in the bottom of your tank. And, if thats the only time it happens....problem solved! :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just hit me that I did not really explain this very well. When I turn the key, there is NOTHING. Engine does not turn over, dash and lights all go out (which is normal in the starting process). If I turn the key back part way and try again, the engine sometimes starts but only runs for a few seconds and shuts down. If I turn the key off and try again, if it does start, it stays running then. It is not a fuel issue as it never gets a chance to start.

Thanks all! I was just wondering if it was an issue with others or if I am the odd man out!!! I plan to call the dealer and set up an appointment.

Dan

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
danf said:
It just hit me that I did not really explain this very well. When I turn the key, there is NOTHING. Engine does not turn over, dash and lights all go out (which is normal in the starting process). If I turn the key back part way and try again, the engine sometimes starts but only runs for a few seconds and shuts down. If I turn the key off and try again, if it does start, it stays running then. It is not a fuel issue as it never gets a chance to start.

Thanks all! I was just wondering if it was an issue with others or if I am the odd man out!!! I plan to call the dealer and set up an appointment.

Dan
Yeah, that paints an entirely different picture... I'd take her to the shop soonest...

·
Registered
435 Posts
For what it's worth...my friend bought my 2002 Oldsmobile, with 36,000 miles on it. He never had a problem until about 6 months ago (with about 85,000 miles on it). From what he described, your starting problem sounds like what he had. The GM dealer replaced a "security device" (that's what he called it), and told him that when he starts the car, wait for all the lights on the D.I.C., etc., to come on (about 5 seconds), and then start it. Seems to be OK now. But I agree, take it in for service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father is having the exact same problem as yours. it went into the dealer yesterday for the same condition. we have yet to receive a diagnosis but i will keep everyone informed. I checked all of the TSB's in VIS and have found nothing on the issue yet. I know that our neighbor had an Acadia and the same thing happens to her from time to time.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 08 Enclave has 7500 miles on it. Several weeks ago it would die while idling - let it set for 5-10 minutes and it would usually start; not what one would like in slow moving or stopped traffic. I had to get the ECU replaced which seems to have corrected the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried to start the car with different keys? Does it fail to start with any key or only with one particular key? Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
gavine said:
Mine has trouble starting whenever the fuel is low. I usually just "flick" the key to let it auto-start and it normally works fine but the every one of the 5 or 6 times that it didn't start, the tank was on "E"...maybe even the fuel light was on (I don't recall). It always will start the on next try as long as I start it the traditional way (holding the key in the start-position until I hear it start). It's to the point that I wonder if GM did this on purpose as a way to remind you that you need gas....it's that consistent.
I've also noticed that when the fuel tank is very low, the car is difficult to start sometimes. It often takes three or four attempts to start the engine when this occurs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a problem similar to yours, but mine would say something on the DIC about service security system. I took it in and they reflashed the security system and reprogrammed the remotes and it has been working 100% since then. It may not be your exact problem, but worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I think that, when the Enclave is running properly, it does not like being low on fuel. Perhaps this is a clever reminder feature, but since I've not noticed it in the manual I suspect that the issue is that the fuel delivery system relies on some back pressure that is reduced when the tank is nearly empty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One thing I noticed about the fuel tank on the Lambda's is that it is very long and somewhat shallow, even though it's 22 gallons. The tank on my '09, might be similar on earlier models, stretches from well under the driver to almost the back axel. Quite a long distance. First thought that crossed my mind is the effectiveness of the tank in low fuel situations. I hate running with less than 1/2 a tank, so I don't think I'll ever see problems. Though I did have it to 1/16th of a tank once, and didn't notice a thing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Next time it happens, press Onstar and ask for a diagnostic! The codes may be there. Or dealer may see computer codes on a service check-up! Don't wait......it's cold out there!

SS

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was looking at the TSB list at www.allworldauto.com and noticed the following, which might be relevant to some of these problems. It does seem to pay to keep a "buffer" in the tank. It's listed under both the 2008 and 2009 Enclaves.

FrankO

BUICK ENCLAVE Technical Service Bulletin

HOME » B » BUICK » ENCLAVE » 10026696
NHTSA Item Number: 10026696
Service Bulletin #: PIT-4574B
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: BUICK
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: ENCLAVE
Model Year:
Mfg Component Code: 071100 FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Date of Bulletin: 2008-10-01
Date Added: 2008-12-03
Summary: GMC: CRANK NO START AFTER PARKING ON AN INCLINE WHEN FUEL LEVEL IS LOW. *PE

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2008 enclave 83000 mls has this no start problem bought new battery still have problem i did get that code once about service securty thinking could this be my problem?? plz help

1 - 20 of 28 Posts