EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Won't start/very fast idle

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ChetteN 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Enclave CXL AWD Has been a Great vehicle since I bought it 3 years ago. Drove it this morning and ran fine. This evening, It would crank, but not fire. on the 4th try fired instantly and ran wide open to 4 - 5000 RPM!. Shut it off and waited a minute. Same thing, starts wide open. Attached my Diagnostic tool and no codes!

#2 ·
"Common causes of high RPM excursion at start-up are typically: large vacuum leak, throttle plate stuck open, cruise control stepper motor stuck in one position; faulty throttle position sensor, and/or faulty idle air control motor or solenoid"

How many miles on it and have you taken off your throttle body to clean it? They get oil built up on them and can cause the throttle body blade to stick. Its very easy to remove and clean. The only way RPMs can increase like that is the throttle body being wide open and sticking. Throttle body can fail or something is telling it to STAY wide open on start and not return to partial.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
"Common causes of high RPM excursion at start-up are typically: large vacuum leak, throttle plate stuck open, cruise control stepper motor stuck in one position; faulty throttle position sensor, and/or faulty idle air control motor or solenoid"

How many miles on it and have you taken off your throttle body to clean it? They get oil built up on them and can cause the throttle body blade to stick. Its very easy to remove and clean. The only way RPMs can increase like that is the throttle body being wide open and sticking. Throttle body can fail or something is telling it to STAY wide open on start and not return to partial.

Thanks! It has 136,000 miles. As far as I know it is the original Throttle Body. It has had nothing done to it since I bought it I plan on removing it and cleaning as a starting place. Thanks much for the confirming thoughts.

#4 ·
Removed the Throttle Body and cleaned it really good. Cleaned the hose from the Air Box to the Throttle Body. Even checked the PCV Valve for excessive oil. Put it all back together, started the car and it accelerated to 4000 RPM. THAT"S when I found the problem. Before reading further, make sure you have no food or drink in your mouth. I don't want anyone choking with laughter. Yesterday I removed the Weather Tech floor cover on the drivers side to dump it out and when I put it back in, I accidentally slid it in OVER the throttle. this pinned it to the floor. Pulled it out, put it in the correct way and TA DA! Problem solved. It's a bitch getting old! Thanks for the help, though. Have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas.

#6 ·
Removed the Throttle Body and cleaned it really good. Cleaned the hose from the Air Box to the Throttle Body. Even checked the PCV Valve for excessive oil. Put it all back together, started the car and it accelerated to 4000 RPM. THAT"S when I found the problem. Before reading further, make sure you have no food or drink in your mouth. I don't want anyone choking with laughter. Yesterday I removed the Weather Tech floor cover on the drivers side to dump it out and when I put it back in, I accidentally slid it in OVER the throttle. this pinned it to the floor. Pulled it out, put it in the correct way and TA DA! Problem solved. It's a bitch getting old! Thanks for the help, though. Have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Excellent!!! Well heck, you still persevered! You still performed a maintenance service that was due around 30k ago yourself! The stealership wants over $150 for what you just did. Congrats on success [emoji123]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.