EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I thought the big draw for XM radio was because it was commercial free? Why am I hearing commercials on my XM station? I find it incredibly annoying. Why should I pay money to listen to commercials? I can do that on regular radio for free...

·
Registered
184 Posts
XM's policy is that the music stations are commercial-free, but talk, news, weather, etc have commercials. I agree that any broadcast medium you pay for shouldn't have commercials, but at least with uninterrupted music it isn't too bad.

Now what really pisses me off is cable TV. Depending on the time of day, anywhere from one-third to one-half of every hour is filled with commercials. On weekends I notice my favorite shows and movies are 5 minutes of programming, 5 minutes of commercials. That's a freakin' outrage. And that's not even counting all the hours of infomercials!!

I get so sick of the long commercial breaks on cable TV that I find it annoying to even have the TV on in the house.

Big Low-Threshold Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
466 Posts
I agree with you on the commercials.

What gets me is the weather and traffic reports for Dallas or wherever - it is annoying - you think it is for you at first then realise it is a long way away and less than useful.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't listen to talk on XM, so I am pretty sure it was a music station. ??? For some reason this makes easygoing me reallly mad! :angryfire:

·
Registered
184 Posts
My favorite XM station is 150: the filthy comedy channel. That's how I like my jokes: dirty and uncensored. Plus I get to hear Sonny Fox, the host, who hosted the kiddie TV show "Wonderama" in the 1960s when I was a dirty little kid.

Big Dirty Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked the XM website. I guess the music channels I like are coming from Clear Channel. I'll have to decide if the annoyance is worth paying for when my trial is up...

Does XM have commercials?
All music channels programmed by XM are commercial-free. We offer the most music in satellite radio, including 69 commercial-free music channels. Many of our news, talk, sports and entertainment channels (including comedy and kids), as well as four music channels programmed by Clear Channel Communications carry a limited amount of commercials. Most local radio stations carry 18 minutes of commercials every hour.

And although the commercials may be 'limited', they seem a heck of a lot LONGER than normal commercials.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Big Larry said:
XM's policy is that the music stations are commercial-free, but talk, news, weather, etc have commercials. I agree that any broadcast medium you pay for shouldn't have commercials, but at least with uninterrupted music it isn't too bad.

Now what really pisses me off is cable TV. Depending on the time of day, anywhere from one-third to one-half of every hour is filled with commercials. On weekends I notice my favorite shows and movies are 5 minutes of programming, 5 minutes of commercials. That's a freakin' outrage. And that's not even counting all the hours of infomercials!!

I get so sick of the long commercial breaks on cable TV that I find it annoying to even have the TV on in the house.

Big Low-Threshold Larry
[/color]
I agree Larry! I can remember when cable TV started it was supposed to be commercial free because you had to pay for it. So much for that! I record most of the shows I watch & fast forward through the commercials. I generally find that a 60 min show has 20 mins of commercials. Its also become apparent that most seem to have their commercials in sync so if you try to channel surf they are all/most in commercial.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a little history -
When XM started, their music channels were not commercial free. They offered a "reduced" level of commercials (as compared to standard FM radio). When SIRIUS started they had commercial free music channels. XM eventually responded to the competition and started to offer commercial free music channels. Apparently they had a contract with Clear Channel to produce some of their programming and it has not yet expired. Word is that once the Clear Channel contract expires, they will have all their music channels commercial free.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Big Larry said:

Big Low-Threshold Larry
[/color]

Larry...

Search the thread on TIVO/DVRs and get one....we wouldn't watch TV any other way!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
And the commercials themselves are annoying. Most of them are for sex toys and boner pills. Thankfully, I don't need either. ;D Same goes for hair replacement ads. So I just wind up channel surfing when those come on.

Big Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Commercials are everywhere! Pay 10 bucks to go to a movie and it starts with commercials. It's only going to get worse. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
jacko said:
Commercials are everywhere! Pay 10 bucks to go to a movie and it starts with commercials. It's only going to get worse. :(
Yeah but the movie theatre doesn't promote itself as "commercial free" like XM and Sirius do.

Just like the original poster, I heard commercials ON MUSIC channels as well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
civileng68 said:
Yeah but the movie theatre doesn't promote itself as "commercial free" like XM and Sirius do.

Just like the original poster, I heard commercials ON MUSIC channels as well.
Welcome to the new reality, where there are commercials everywhere, even on personal clothing. Now we are getting spam in our cell phone text message bin. Its a corruption in our society, IMO.

TM

·
Registered
54 Posts
*Enclave* said:
I don't listen to talk on XM, so I am pretty sure it was a music station. ??? For some reason this makes easygoing me reallly mad! :angryfire:
You're right. I've had XM for years and started noticing last year that KISS 21 (which is music) now has commercial breaks. When they first started, I had the same reaction as you. i.e., "I thought they were supposed to be commercial free!!!". I never researched why it was changing, but as far as I can tell, very few of the music channels do this. The good news is that there are so many other channels to choose from-- so that's just one I don't spend much time on anymore. For the most part, I think xm's music is still commercial free. I wouldn't say you should rush into terminating your subscription.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you want to see the future of advertising, see the movie "Minority Report". If marketing execs could, they'd broadcast targeted ads to the inside of our eyelids! :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never really been a fan of satellite radio, I guess I just don't think I should have to pay for somthing that plays over the air for free. When it comes to music, I just use my MP3 player and listen to what I want to listen to with no commercials.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had XM for a long time in my other car. I was very upset when the sold the channels to Clear Channel and commercials started appearing. I don't know what station you listen to, but the country channel, 11, I used to listen to has a non commercial free conterpart in 17. channel 16 is the like the top 40 of country.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FYI,

XM duplicates the Clear Channel Stations a little further up the dial WITHOUT commercials. So, just find whatever channel you like, then find the duplicate up in the 30's and you'll hear it without commercials.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like Channel 20...I don't see that in the 30's? It's the Top20 on 20...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts