EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wonder how long it'll be before we get Stern on XM, or if we're eventually going to have to migrate to a different "universal" receiver.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Good question. I think it's all going to come down to content, IF the Broadcasters let this get through at all. I'm wondering if the XM system provides for "station blocking" - anybody here know that? :eek:
Knowing the FCC, I bet they'll make them add that blocking provision or stipulaton in there. I can't speak for XM, but from my past experience with Sirius, there were a few channels that you had to add manually by logging into your account on their website and checking off a box (even though there was no additional cost to add them). I can't remember all of them, but one was definitely the Playboy channel. You would think that Howard Stern would also be a part of that since his channel is by far more x-rated than the Playboy channel. I'm a big Stern fan, and I could never listen to him for more than 2 mins on Sirius with my kids in the car because of the profanity.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The FCC needs to save face before approving. They have documents supporting the approval from various groups including the NAACP and a former FCC commishioner.

I liked this note.

Sirius and XM subscribers, who now pay $12.95 a month, may pay as little as $6.99 with the proposed tiered pricing[/color].

I predict there will be a low priced "basic tier" to keep casual users from complaining. Two ala-cart tiers: add-ons including a "celebrity/news talk tier" including Oprah and Howard Stern, and a "sports maniac tier" with NFL, MLB, etc. An all inclusive "platinum tier" would have everything and be given for 3 months free to new subscribers. Just my gut feeling.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I hvae a 'lifetime' Sirius contract - once my $77 XM year ends I will transfer this to the Enclave for $75 and be good for a long time :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anybody know if they're going to be keeping the "XM" name or the "Sirius" name? I sure hope it is the former--"XM"--as I think it sounds so much better than "Sirius."

·
Registered
509 Posts
marzetta7 said:
Anybody know if they're going to be keeping the "XM" name or the "Sirius" name? I sure hope it is the former--"XM"--as I think it sounds so much better than "Sirius."
That's something so far off, it's probably not even in discussion stages yet within the corporations.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sirius/XM Merger Deal has Final Approval

Merger Approved by FCC. A done deal.

Sirius, XM tie-up gets FCC approval
[/color]http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/25/technology/sirius_xm_approval.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008072520

I just renewed my radio for 12 months at $77. Better get it while you can.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As I already have Sirus radi o I should be able to add my Enclave XM radio as a 2nd unit at $5 a month now :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Below is an excerpt from the Washington Post on the impact of the merger on subscriber's options.

'Q It costs $12.95 per month to subscribe to XM or Sirius. Will the price go up?

A The companies have said that they would freeze the $12.95-per-month rate for three years after the merger. In the letter to the FCC, XM and Sirius said they will create a number of programming options ranging from $6.99 to $16.99 per month.

· For $6.99 per month, subscribers can choose either 50 Sirius or 50 XM channels and add additional channels for 25 cents each per month.

· For $14.99 per month, subscribers get 100 channels: XM subscribers get mostly XM channels and can pick Sirius channels to round out to 100. A similar deal will be available for Sirius subscribers.

· For $16.99 per month, XM subscribers get all of their current XM channels and can add an undetermined number of Sirius channels. Vice-versa for Sirius subscribers.

· For $9.99 per month, subscribers can get a "mostly music" or "mostly news, sports and talk" package of channels.

· For $11.95 per month, subscribers can get a "family-friendly" package of existing channels from either XM or Sirius, which would block out such programming as Howard Stern and rap and rock channels with profanity-laced songs. For $14.99 per month, subscribers can get a "family friendly" package of channels from both services.

Yes, but you'll probably have to pay extra. In the letter to the FCC, the companies said that such "premium" programming will cost more. Stern is not identified in the letter, but he is Sirius's biggest draw.

Let's say I want more channels than are available in a family-friendly package but I don't want my children to hear Stern. What then?

Both companies have channel-blocking ability.

If I already have one of the services, will I have to buy a new radio?

If you want one of the a-la-carte packages, yes, you'll have to buy a new radio. The radios will be on the market within three months of the close of the merger, the FCC letter says.

So my existing satellite radio can hold all of these new channels? I won't lose a bunch of channels I like?

Both companies say that they continue to compress the bandwidth of their channels to squeeze more into their spectrum. Though both services will continue to drop and add channels, they do not anticipate wholesale dumping of channels post-merger.

Both services depend on a series of "terrestrial repeaters," or devices that boost the satellite signal in urban areas. But some of them cause interference and the FCC has ordered XM to shut down 50 of their repeaters and fix 50 more. Will this hurt my reception? Will the Sirius signal be dependent on XM repeaters?

Sirius service will not depend on XM repeaters; the two systems do not talk to each other.

But if that's the case, how can I add Sirius channels to my XM service and vice-versa?

Let's say you have XM and want to add Sirius's NFL package. XM will simply take Sirius's NFL game feeds and beam them to your radio on XM's spectrum. The XM and Sirius systems don't need to talk to each other for this function.

What will the merged company be called?

No new name has been proposed. Both XM and Sirius have built up substantial brand equity with their subscribers, who tend to think of themselves as "XM people" or "Sirius people."

Former XM chief executive Hugh Panero built a chair in XM's command center modeled after Captain Kirk's on the starship Enterprise. It's where he sat and pushed the button that switched on XM in September 2001. What will happen to the chair?

XM has no plans to change its facility'

Press

G

·
I heard on the news last night that the new company will be called "Sirius XM Radio" - looks like they don't want to tick off either group of owners ;) Let me see if I can find a web source to confirm this...

Ah yes...
-----------
Sirius, XM merger completed, creating US satellite radio giant

US satellite radio giants Sirius and XM completed their merger Tuesday after winning a lengthy battle with regulators over concerns about market competition.

The new company formed by Sirius Satellite Radio's buyout of XM Satellite Radio, will be called Sirius XM Radio Inc.

The combined company has more than 18.5 million subscribers, making it the second-largest radio company, based upon revenue, in the country.

But the company has "significant" growth prospects because it currently has cornered less than 10 percent of the home and car market, it said.

"We have worked diligently to close this transaction and we look forward to integrating our best-in-class management teams and operations so we can begin delivering on our promise of more choices and lower prices for subscribers," chief executive Mel Karmazin said in a statement.

The Federal Communications Commission approved in a 3-2 vote Friday all-stock buyout of XM, ending some 16 months of regulatory limbo for the nation's only satellite radio companies.

Company executives have long argued that the merger would lead to major cost savings and the first-ever profits in the fledgling industry.

Some critics of the deal had argued that a combined satellite group would form a monopoly that would benefit from sharing the same broadcast stars and could bring an end to bidding wars for top talent.

The deal was approved by XM and Sirius shareholders last December, when Sirius had more than 8.3 million subscribers compared with nine million for XM.

The new company broadcasts more than 300 channels of programming, including exclusive radio broadcasts from shock-jock Howard Stern, television magnate Oprah and home-decorating guru Martha Stewart.

The FCC approval marked the final regulatory hurdle needed for the merger, which passed antitrust scrutiny by the Justice Department in March.

When the companies first began publicly discussing the merger, in February 2007, the deal was valued at 13 billion dollars.

Sirius XM Radio shares plunged 19.68 percent to 1.51 dollars in opening trade Tuesday.

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gWpqqvwgW00Q9TWlFXCqFL7ccIxw

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I got this from XM through my e-mail account:

XM Everything Plus The Best of SIRIUS - LIMITED TIME OFFER
Get up to 9 months of XM Everything Plus The Best of SIRIUS FREE, plus 3 additional months of The Best of SIRIUS, FREE, when you sign up today. Subscription renews at standard rates. $14.97 / month

XM Everything Plus The Best of SIRIUS - Special Offer
Our standard rate for over 180 channels including every XM channel, plus the best of SIRIUS, with Howard Stern, NFL, NASCAR and more. Get limited-time discounted rates when you sign up for one of our limited time offers.
XMRO Everything + Best of SIRIUS included. $16.99 / month

Family Friendly Plus The Best of SIRIUS
Over 170 XM and SIRIUS channels, without the channels that regularly feature explicit language.
XMRO Family Friendly + Best of SIRIUS included. $14.99 / month

XM Everything
Every XM channel, over 170 channels total, including commercial-free music, news, talk & sports.
XMRO Everything included. $12.95 / month

Family Friendly
Over 160 XM channels of music, news, talk, and sports, without channesl that regularly feature explicit language.
XMRO Family Friendly included. $11.95

Mostly Music
Over 60 channels of commercial-free music covering virtually every genre from rock to soul, country to classical.
$9.99 / month

News, Sports + Talk
Over 55 channels of 24/7 live news and talk radio from the top names in news and sports.
$9.99 / month

1 - 12 of 12 Posts