EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrote same topic over at Acadia site...

With the 2009 info starting to come in, and the XMTraffic being offered separately (ie not something that's included with an XM Radio or Nav purchase), I looked on XM site for some details:

Why does my navigation system not display all of the traffic data as shown available on the market coverage maps?
To display the XM NavTraffic service, a navigation system requires a map database from NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Specific coding relating to the display of the traffic data is contained in the map database and is updated with the release of new map database updates. Therefore, if your map database is out of date, you may not be able to see all of the available traffic data available as part of the XM NavTraffic service. Contact your car dealer for information on map database upgrades or for aftermarket systems, contact NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas.

Ah, this indicates to me that 07-08's will require an updated NavDisc for this to work.

I'm hoping that's it...I'm still unclear how the Nav would know how to move "XM data" to the Nav map display - or that it needs to look for it...but since one can already download Onstar directions for display, maybe it uses same protocol.

I went online and GMNavDisc doesn't have the 2009 option available, nor is there an update for the 08's (25880099).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jake_99 said:
I'm still unclear how the Nav would know how to move "XM data" to the Nav map display - or that it needs to look for it...but since one can already download Onstar directions for display, maybe it uses same protocol.
Huh? I don't think so.

OnStar displays TBT directions on the DIC and HUD, but not the NAV screen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
jr7243 said:
This new feature was announced recently. Here's one of the threads in which is was discussed:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2696.0
Sure, I saw that; I wanted to point out that downloading OnStar TBT "for display" in 2008 Enclaves does not mean "for display on NAV screen". It appears that limitation will be lifted for 2009. This will be a neat upgrade, but may not appear in any lambda "new features" list.

Perhaps you missed my own post to the thread you referenced (invited by Jake_99 himself):

PrairieWind said:
As I read it, 2008 Enclaves WILL get the OnStar eNav upgrade to OnStar virtual advisor, but WILL NOT get the new Download Destination, XM NavTraffic, and "Stolen Vehicle Slowdown" features announced for 2009.

I suspect that most new OnStar/NAV stuff cannot be implemented on our old DVD-based navigation systems. Perhaps OnStar directions-and-connections is finally being coordinated with a new (HD based?) factory NAV system.

All we can hope for are DVD releases, but since they dropped the free future release, they may not plan on issuing any.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you note the original thread text, a DVD based Nav system is NOT an impediment to XMTraffic Update... (per XM quote).

So, it is not clearly indicated that XMTraffic will require a NAV upgrade for previous year models. I would have expected the updates would have shown "improved NAV" as changes- which is not in fact indicated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have aftermarket XM NavTraffic right now in my Rainier. Anyone know if this new feature on the Enclave is going to do all of the NavTraffic stuff (stocks, sports, etc)? Or is just just a stripped down version of it featuring only "traffic"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts