EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to remove Yellow Road Paint from my less than 8000 mile Enclave. Tuesday morning driving thru the I-75 Tifton, Ga. construction zone around 5 am, I was lucky enough to pick up a lot of fresh paint on the drivers side only. You should have been there when we stopped for gas and I got my first look at it. It's in the wheel wells, on the side clading, paint, tires & integrated side steps. Lucky me, I was able to survive Florida for 2 weeks with no door dings only to be ambushed by the Georgia DOT. By the way, I contacted the Georgia DOT and they basically told me "Tough Sh--!". I put 3 pictures on the last page of my gallery. I'm open for suggestions and hopefully won't stain the clading while trying to get it off. HELP!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yikes!! I certainly would be upset! Seems like you could fight GDOT some more. That's a mess! So sorry. :mad:

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
PROCEDURE FOR REMOVING PAINT FROM CARS

As soon as possible after getting paint from road stripes on vehicle wash
the vehicle at a pressure car wash. This will loosen and remove most of
the paint unless it has dried for more than a day.

If the car wash does not remove the paint, allow the water to dry off the
vehicle. Spray the paint residue with WD-40 and allow the WD-40 to
stay on the area for 1-2 hours and rewash the vehicle. The WD-40 will
soften the traffic paint without hurting the vehicle finish. If there is a
heavy concentration, repeat the procedure.

For heavy accumulations or paint that has dried for several days, apply
a liberal coating of Vaseline petroleum jelly to the dried traffic paint
and allow to stay on overnight. Take vehicle to a pressure car wash and
wash. This should remove most of the traffic paint. If not repeat the
procedure.

DO NOT SCRUB THE FINISH WITH A SOLVENT OR SCOURING
CLEANSER!!!! THIS WILL DAMAGE THE FINISH.

After cleaning the paint away apply a good wax to the vehicle’s finish.
Wax should remove any lasting signs of the traffic paint.
Wheel wells are very difficult to remove the paint from since they are
normally a flat finish. Apply a liberal coating of Vaseline to the area and
leave for several days and then pressure wash. Applying an alcohol such
as Solox or Rubbing Alcohol to the area in the wheel well will help to
soften any residue left after the Vaseline. Again DO NOT SCRUB! Just
apply with a very wetted rag or sponge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
jr7243 said:
Spray the paint residue with WD-40 and allow the WD-40 to
stay on the area for 1-2 hours and rewash the vehicle. The WD-40 will
soften the traffic paint without hurting the vehicle finish.
Man, what can WD-40 NOT do?!

Seriously though, if someone does use any of the solutions listed above, please let us know how they work. Unfortunately, I have a feeling this will be a thread some of us will refer to in the future :'(

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used Goo Gone Pro-Power Spray Gel to get paint from the side of my garage off of my Outlook (don't ask :eek:hno:). It took it off of the door and the handle - it was a little tougher to get off the handle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last year I purchased a product called Fukken Wax. The Harley dealer I bought it from said it is a wax & cleaner out of this world. I have not used it on road paint but on road tar & tree sap it is unbelievable! It comes in an airosole can, not cheap $15.00 a can here in Canada. I have also seen it at NAPA stores. Also works better on glass than rain x.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Enclavious said:
That wax can't be pronounced the way I read it. ;D
[/quote
Easy to remember that way! There are two dots above the letter U. I guess that is some European spelling.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Fell victim of white stripe line paint on the lower cladding.... Gasoline on rag does wonders! then a thorough wash and rinse and a wax.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
cfedor said:
Fell victim of white stripe line paint on the lower cladding.... Gasoline on rag does wonders! then a thorough wash and rinse and a wax.
I had forgotten about this thread until you revived it by falling victim to this issue. If you have any, please post before and after photos.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I had forgotten about this thread until you revived it by falling victim to this issue. If you have any, please post before and after photos.
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of it. I was so fumed(pun intended) that it even happened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depending on the state (if it was a state crew) you can call the DOT and they will pay to have the paint removed from your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Jackmerius_Tacktheritrix said:
Depending on the state (if it was a state crew) you can call the DOT and they will pay to have the paint removed from your vehicle.
That was true about a dozen years ago when a neighbor's car was splattered with dripping paint during a Varrazano Bridge refurbishment. They contacted the NYDOT , and the cost to repaint the car was reimbursed.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I still have a little splatter in the wheel wells, but I had success removing it from the lower cladding without a problem. I have attached some pics showing it. It really isn't that much, but still annoying none the less.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
cfedor you can file a claim with INDOT.

I have attached the form required by the state of Indiana.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The worst was when I was in my 1998 Nissan (pearl white--why do I keep getting this color, it's no good :happy: ), in Montreal when it was less than 1 y.o. Some ridiculous Yugo like car was spewing white smoke and passed us. I was like oh ****, sped off in search of a self-serve car wash.

As I had expected, there were orange dots all over my white car where the antifreeze had begun to eat away the clear coat.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Sailfish said:
cfedor you can file a claim with INDOT.

I have attached the form required by the state of Indiana.
Thanks Sailfish. I will keep this in mind. I cleared it myself just now. After pics coming shortly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts