EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent a nice 2.5 hours at the dealers today for items that needed addressed

drivers door switch panel is sticking on the rear drivers window - now on order - previous fix did not sort it

drivers door wind noise - previous fix not satisfactory - new door seal ordered

trim around panel in front of mirror - ordered as it is all kinked

trim around rear seat handle not fitting properly - you can see the seat back panel - to be refixed

rear bumper to body showing signs of paint cracking - reported just in case

Major issue vibration - tires removed and road force checked - for the 3rd time, every time it needs something - today's outcome was 2 wheels out with GM spec even after breaking the bead and rotating the tires they were still out by a mile. The dealer removed the tires from the rim and checked the rims - tire to blame.

So here we go now, trying to get new tires out of GM - the car has only covered 5000kms - I am going to request all 4 be changed.

This vibration which I have mentioned before is truly spoiling my ownership experience and as we set off for North Carolina end of the week you might see it on the news - on fire on I 81 or I 95 if things don't go well.

Has anyone else had tire issues or multiple wheel balances??

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
No I have not had that, but as of late, I do notice quite a shimmy when I am braking especially around 35-40 mph or when slowing to turn and have the brakes on while starting my turn, it shimmies alot then. Am planning another trip to the dealer for other things and well request they look at that. Just had the tires rotated last week.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
bsox said:
No I have not had that, but as of late, I do notice quite a shimmy when I am braking especially around 35-40 mph or when slowing to turn and have the brakes on while starting my turn, it shimmies alot then. Am planning another trip to the dealer for other things and well request they look at that. Just had the tires rotated last week.
And I bet they warped the rotors when they didn't use a torque stick or wrench and just zipped them all down fully tight one at a time. That's why I rotate my own tires and why I watch them like a hawk when I have my tires balanced.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
BadAV said:
And I bet they warped the rotors when they didn't use a torque stick or wrench and just zipped them all down fully tight one at a time. That's why I rotate my own tires and why I watch them like a hawk when I have my tires balanced.
Are they ruined if that is the case, or can they fix it by loosening and then tightening them correctly?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
bsox said:
Are they ruined if that is the case, or can they fix it by loosening and then tightening them correctly?
You can certainly give it a try. You could also check the runout (the side-to-side "play") on the rotor with a dial indicator gage; that will let you know how badly they are warped. You can try turning the rotors but I always just replace them because they get thinner with machining and are then even more prone to warping. There's typically not a lot of extra thickness for machining in the rotors today.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
BSOX, good luck if it is your rotors, GM will not replace rotors even if under warrranty, they cut them. i had the rotors cut on my G6 for the second time last month and i only have 21000 miles on it!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
PAPoPo said:
BSOX, good luck if it is your rotors, GM will not replace rotors even if under warrranty, they cut them. i had the rotors cut on my G6 for the second time last month and i only have 21000 miles on it!!!!
This happens on a lot of vehicles from a lot of manufacturers. They typically have a shorter initial "warranty" to cover things like warped rotors, because it turns into a common wear item. Not a huge problem, though, and not as widepspread as it seems...just something that happens with some rotors on some vehicles in some driving conditions.

We had a shimmy braking at a couple thousand miles in our '02 Avalanche years ago, they cut & turned them, and all was perfect to the day we traded it with 33k and for all intensive purposes, far beyond that. You don't want to keep cutting them, but it's a common practice and often fixes any warpage issue successfully.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the update as of today. The road force figures for my car are 10 lbs on teh front but 17 and 21 lbs on the rear. The dealer has checked the wheels and declared the tires the fault. I am now waiting for the area manager to ok 2 tires . I am asking for all 4 to be changed . As I have only covered 5000kms and have been back 3 times for the same balance routine I want to start a fresh.

Little chance -- but if you don't ask.

Oh - I have been waiting 2 days for the manager to call the dealer - poor service in my book. Dealer has been great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts