EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
cfedor said:
Before you take your door panel apart look at the mirror you bought. Once you pop the glass off you can see if there is a motor mounted back in the corner (not the "hockey-puck" motor the glass mounts to -- you are looking for a cylindrical motor right near the folding point). If you don't see anything in the little hole there then it is not power-fold. I don't think the number of harnesses matter, I think that has to do with heat and auto-dim vs. not having those features.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
sklunk said:
Before you take your door panel apart look at the mirror you bought. Once you pop the glass off you can see if there is a motor mounted back in the corner (not the "hockey-puck" motor the glass mounts to -- you are looking for a cylindrical motor right near the folding point). If you don't see anything in the little hole there then it is not power-fold. I don't think the number of harnesses matter, I think that has to do with heat and auto-dim vs. not having those features.
Number of connectors doesn't mean much, you are right sklunk. Because the mirror housing has tilt, power fold, heat and power folding capabilities. All those wires connections could be ran thru those 2 pigtails. I know what you are referring to on the inside to the left at the pivot point, how the housing is molded to recieve the power folding motor. I will take a look at it once I have it next week. Will keep you all posted and informed of my luck....

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Bayner66 said:
There is a YouTube video on removing the door panel on a Traverse you may want to look up and view.
Thanks, Bayner!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
It does seem to me that the passenger folding option is what is commonly failing. I got a used OEM from ebay for 76.00. It's red jewel. But, I think I am going to gut it, piece it and part it out. The black mounting plate to the door frame has a chip on the top corner, but that isn't the piece that I am "really" interested in. I can swap out parts and take the best parts from both to make a GREAT useable one. Depending on the condition/color match of the ebay one, I may just have to swap the black mounting plate. I hope it is delivered tomorrow....

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
THANK YOU!!![/color]
MDCole9761 !!
This threads pictures are worth a million thanks!! I took my own pics, but see no need to post them here. I ended up gutting the ebay purchased housing, taking out the motor assembly, and working on mine on the door. Works like a charm!
So now I have this ebay housing that has a power folding motor that doesn't work, and thinking about turning it around on ebay myself for $15.00 +shipping. I still have the housing all put back together with the turn signal(it has a chip out of the plastic that the screw holds it in the housing- was there when I took it apart and saw it), power tilt motor, and heated mirror and wire harness. Maybe someone can use those parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
cfedor said:
THANK YOU!!![/color]
MDCole9761 !!
This threads pictures are worth a million thanks!! I took my own pics, but see no need to post them here. I ended up gutting the ebay purchased housing, taking out the motor assembly, and working on mine on the door. Works like a charm!
So now I have this ebay housing that has a power folding motor that doesn't work, and thinking about turning it around on ebay myself for $15.00 +shipping. I still have the housing all put back together with the turn signal(it has a chip out of the plastic that the screw holds it in the housing- was there when I took it apart and saw it), power tilt motor, and heated mirror and wire harness. Maybe someone can use those parts.
Awesome! Glad it worked out for you too- I love my folding mirrors (I don't use them too often, but when I do I love them). When I first starting looking into replacement mirrors, I thought for sure there was no way around buying a $150 mirror and then having to pay to get it painted. But for less than $50 it's fixed and I have spare parts!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys thanks for this great topic !

I found this all metal replacement gear and a new motor for these power folding units for the GM trucks. They will also fit the Enclave.

if you look up gruvenparts dot com and go to their GM trucks section you will see the 2nd item from the top is the brass folding mirror gears. They also sell the power door lock motors, and the power folding mirror motors.

There is also a complete DIY on the page. Its for a Tahoe, but once you get the motor drive unit out, the procedure would be the same for Enclave. This really fixes and design flaw in the GM power folding mirrors and helped me alot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is more info on the replacement stuff, theres also a DIY on their page

"
GRUVENPARTS.COM STRENGTHENED SPUR GEAR FOR 2007-2014 GM TRUCKS FOLDING MIRROR ASSEMBLY - Click Here for the Product Page !

Spur Gear Shown Installed per DIY on Right. OEM Gear on Left - Click Here for the Product Page !

See the DIY Link the Website Product Page!

This product carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

GruvenParts.com is pleased to announce this replacement strengthened new BRASS spur gear for the folding mirrors on 2007-2014 GM trucks including Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. As many have discovered, the folding mirror assembly on these trucks suffers from a thin, weak spur gear. As a result, the spur gear cracks at the slightest impact or just wears out over time causing an inoperable folding mirror.

GruvenParts.com has SOLVED this issue by designing a proper BRASS spur gear made with a thicker cross section to eliminate the stress concentrations which cause fatigue cracking. Our spur gear is machined to fit onto the OEM worm shaft via epoxy. We can provide new motors, too if you want them, please visit the GM Section of our website or click here

Click Here for the Replacement Mirror Motor Product Page !

Application :

Sold in pairs (enough for 1 complete vehicle). Gears Fit Both Passenger and Drivers Side Power Folding Mirrors.

All 2007-2014 GM Trucks With Folding Mirrors Including Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Escalade, Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Yukon, and Denali. This includes (but not limited to) the following mirror assembly part numbers :
25-83-12-36 (25831236), 25-77-98-49 (25779849)

This list of part numbers will continually grow as we build the interchange list. This is in no way complete, as most GM trucks made from 2007-2014 with power folding mirrors will use this gear. If your power folding mirror looks like the mirror shown in the DIY, this gear will fit your vehicle."

?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
is anyone doing these repairs?
I purchased a whole mirror off of Ebay that was my by color match. I stripped it down to the motor and swapped out my motor with the motor from Ebay with no issues. all because my main housing was in better condition. Haven't had any issues with it at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome, this helped me a lot. My 2008 Enclave had the mirror stuck in the closed position. With the PDF instructions, I was able to take apart the mirror and see that the motor was working. I put it back together and it no longer worked. I ended up figuring out that the two torx screws could be loosened just a bit, and the mirror would move freely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2009 Enclave LH power folding mirror quite folding, and the mirror was a bit loose on the pivot. I listened while activating the power folding button, but could not hear anything from the LH mirror (RH mirror folds well). I got a salvage mirror assembly and installed that on the LH side, and everything folds properly again.

Anyone know what folding mirror motor units on various GM vehicles (year range and models) would interchange with a 2009 Enclave LH folding mirror? There is a U-Pull near me and if I find damaged mirrors, I wouldn't have a problem removing the power folding motor unit from it to repair my original mirror. But I don't know which vehicles to look for. Anyone in this forum have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
If I were you, i would definatly stick with searching for a same year, make, model, and color that you have. Body styles across makes/models(Acadia, Traverse, Outlook) - all are different in design, I would think. Unless the "guts/inter workings are the same, which I would doubt that they are the same. Do a search on Ebay for 2009 Buick Enclave power folding heated mirror. You are bound to find something. Even if it isn't your body color, you could use the parts from it with your original outer shell/housing. I changed out my broken motor and reused my original outer skin for $75.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I'd pop in with a reply since I used this thread to get info on how to do this repair. I think the first post makes the job seem a lot harder than it is but I've also been a professional mechanic for over 30 years. Everything comes apart pretty easy, and pretty much as described in the first post (thanks to the OP for giving me a glimpse of what I needed to do). I was sweating the mirror glass and I couldn't get it to release like the manual said. I ended up getting my fingers inside and directly under the clips to push out and release it. Be careful the internet is full of pictures on how the glass attached but they don't apply to the Enclave (at least not the 2013). Mostly what's out there is pictures of the Tahoe where the glass pops up to come off, the Enclave it pops out. I should have taken some pictures but it was over 100 at 7 am and I was sweaty and cranky doing the repair. I'm sure the drivers mirror will go out soon and I promise to take pictures of that repair.

I bought the parts and followed the instructions for that repair from the GruvenParts.com website. I used the vise to compress the spring but I could not get the lock ring to twist by turning the socket. Most times it would twist the whole motor assembly out of the vise. I was able to get some Knipex channel locks to grip the spring and lock ring and twisted it that way. I laid it all out as I took it apart, replaced the gear (bought the shaft and motor package) and motor and put it back together. I did not grind the tabs as suggested on the website, I prefer not to tamper with GM engineering unless there is a proven value to it. I think I had less that an hour into it. The right mirror folds in and out much faster than the driver side now.

Shout out to Gruven for providing the product and information. I'm surprised Dorman or the like haven't tried to buy the idea or copy it yet. Top quality product and no price gouge due to the monopoly on the market. Rare in today's car car enthusiast market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I had to go back into it a week after the repair. The mirror would refuse to go back out unless I jostled the mirror around a bit. It appears that since I didn't move the brass bushings up to hold the shaft more stable the gears became misaligned. At the urging of Paul at Gruven I also ground the tabs flat as the instructions state. It works well again so far, I hope that was the issue. I did take pictures this time.

The two mounting bolts that need to be removed so you can get the housing off the fold motor.

mountbolts.jpg

Back of the mirror glass showing the tabs that hold it onto the motor.
Mirrortab.jpg

And the mirror motor showing the inserts for the tabs
mirrormotor.jpg

As you can see the mirror pulls off straight out away from the housing not up like the Tahoe glass. I was able to get my fingers behind the glass right at the tab and push it off. It takes more force than is comfortable :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts